Absol197

Trends, Statistics, and Predictions!

I don't get the whole 'end of the line' talk.  It's not like a cup of yogurt or something past its expiration date.  It's been out 5 years.  Disney is churning out content, so there is plenty of fodder for sourcebooks and adventures.  There may not be as many books for Star Wars specifically, but there isn't going to be a lack of material to publish about.  Then there's Genesys which really is mechanics 2.0, I guess, although the changes made are pretty minor, so I am thinking they're fine with how things work.  Genesys will add any number of content paths for them to produce. The FFG RPG unit will have plenty of work without needing rule resets imo.

A couple of months ago, I saw FFG posting a job position for RPG developer and they specifically called out Star Wars. That could be nothing, but I like to think that means they intend to produce more Star Wars RPG content for years to come.

I think that the recent development of Legions and pending release of Xwing 2.0 are good omens for FFG retaining the license for Star Wars games in general, and I believe that they will continue with RPG as long as possible in some form or another. However, unless I’ve missed some official announcement, the notion that all 3 product lines will have X number of adventures, region books, etc. is speculation on our part. A 2nd edition may already be in the works and we’d never know. The player/authors that contribute to these forums are under confidentiality agreements that they take very seriously. This forum serves to both rile and assuage our collective angst, but I’m just going to sit back and enjoy it while it lasts.

Edited by OriginalDomingo

1 hour ago, kaosoe said:

A couple of months ago, I saw FFG posting a job position for RPG developer and they specifically called out Star Wars. That could be nothing, but I like to think that means they intend to produce more Star Wars RPG content for years to come.

New cartoon, 3 more definite movies, 2 additional trilogies being chatted up, a live action show to launch their TV service.  I'm pretty confident there won't be a lack of material for FFG to just keep putting out a book or 3 a year.

4 hours ago, themensch said:

Viewed from the current license, I think we're past it.  Nothing says they won't retain their license, but the smart planners probably didn't want to dedicate resources beyond the initial period which ends in 2021 I believe.  Your case has great merit and I hope you're right, but I hesitate to attribute such logical conceptions to a gaming company's business plan. :)

True, business decisions take into account factors above our collective knowledge. 

1 hour ago, kaosoe said:

Well, I did see that Katrina Ostrander is leaving the company, with the new version of L5R pretty much being her last project.  So it's entirely possibly that whoever's currently holding the seat for SWRPG developer is being reassigned, and FFG is looking externally to fill the position.

Realistically, it's just been a very rough time for swrpg releases, between the shipping issues, printer problems, and the devs being extremely tight-lipped.

A lot of this "end of the line" talk flourishes in this sort of environment.

I personally would reserve judgement until we actually see our much-delayed upcoming releases hit shelves. Announcements for any future books beyond Knights of Fate might be the litmus test. 

Until then, any speculation is just that: speculation.

Edit: Personally, I just hope the line stays healthy, and we see more region and era sourcebooks. I feel those would be the most valuable additions to the line at this latter point in its lifespan.

There are ton of character options already, and now I want more fleshing out of the galaxy as a whole. More to populate the GM's campaign, including species, worlds, adventure hooks, and options for different time periods.

Edited by CeilingSquid

5 hours ago, CeilingSquid said:

Realistically, it's just been a very rough time for swrpg releases, between the shipping issues, printer problems, and the devs being extremely tight-lipped.

A lot of this "end of the line" talk flourishes in this sort of environment.

I personally would reserve judgement until we actually see our much-delayed upcoming releases hit shelves. Announcements for any future books beyond Knights of Fate might be the litmus test. 

Until then, any speculation is just that: speculation.

Edit: Personally, I just hope the line stays healthy, and we see more region and era sourcebooks. I feel those would be the most valuable additions to the line at this latter point in its lifespan.

There are ton of character options already, and now I want more fleshing out of the galaxy as a whole. More to populate the GM's campaign, including species, worlds, adventure hooks, and options for different time periods.

I'd like to see a second round of career books, and I think that's possible 

I think I'd just like to see more era books that add more Universal Specs. I like that careers specs would be those initial 6 for each class, just so players can hunker down on an idea. And then you can slap on a Universal Spec to add flavor. Although at what point would Universal Specs give you options that you'd normally have to pay 30xp to go into another career? It's an interesting balancing routine.

But yeah! More Era and Region books. After Dawn of Rebellion I'm hyped for something Clone Wars related. *crosses fingers*

On 5/7/2018 at 2:21 PM, 2P51 said:

New cartoon, 3 more definite movies, 2 additional trilogies being chatted up, a live action show to launch their TV service.  I'm pretty confident there won't be a lack of material for FFG to just keep putting out a book or 3 a year.

If you're smart, you dont wait until you've exhausted the material before launching a new edition. You don't want it to just be the same stuff rehashed, you want the new stuff to draw in those that want everything even though they are happy with the old ruleset. FFG is canny enough to know this, and they excel at finding ways to get their fans to buy almost everything they make...even if it's a new edition that some may feel is premature.

Edited by HappyDaze

I would like to see modular encounters tied up to Motivation Obligation/Duty/Morality. Like a big book of Obligation (or Morality), with examples and adventures. Ideally, compiling all published Obligations for easy access.

16 hours ago, 2P51 said:

They didn't, it's called Genesys.

Which, for all anyone here knows, may well be a testbed for an eventual revised/second edition of the Star Wars line, not too unlike WotC using Saga Edition as test bed for various D&D 4e mechanics.

If nothing else, Genesys gives FFG a chance to try out various mechanics alterations and tweaks via their setting/theme books.  And after seeing what works and what doesn't, they can evaluate to see what elements (if any) would be a good fit for the Star Wars line, and if those changes are drastic enough to warrant a full-blown second edition.

So, no update again this week.  I'm actually expecting an increased chance for next week, though; both Dawn of Rebellion and Fully Operational released on the last week of the month, and the expected status change for a release the last week of May is next week.

So... we'll see.

EDIT:  O...kay? So, the reprint of Ghosts of Dathomir just made it to Shipping Now today, and it was WAY behind the new books in production at one point, so... I literally have no idea anymore. 

Edited by Absol197

3 hours ago, Rithuan said:

I would like to see modular encounters tied up to Motivation Obligation/Duty/Morality. Like a big book of Obligation (or Morality), with examples and adventures. Ideally, compiling all published Obligations for easy access.

That'd be a good way to organize a modular encounter book.

4 hours ago, Absol197 said:

So, no update again this week.  I'm actually expecting an increased chance for next week, though; both Dawn of Rebellion and Fully Operational released on the last week of the month, and the expected status change for a release the last week of May is next week.

So... we'll see.

EDIT:  O...kay? So, the reprint of Ghosts of Dathomir just made it to Shipping Now today, and it was WAY behind the new books in production at one point, so... I literally have no idea anymore. 

The last few have been Thursday or Friday...

I'm concerned that Cyphers & Masks and Unlimited Power are still "On the Boat". I'm worried that there was a problem with the print run and they had to send them back to the printer...

It's not as if it hasn't happened before. ?

Okay… Okay, alright… Alright, okay.

Whew!  Okay.  Alright, so!  Release date isn’t mentioned on the Upcoming page, but I think we can safely say it will be May 31 for UNLIMITED POWER(!!!1!).

So, keeping with expectation, I’d think we now have a good case for Cyphers and Masks having a release date of June 28, so much so that I’m actually going to put it in the first post as my Official Phee-Nominal PredictionTM!

But, in addition to THE MOST SERIOUSLY AWESOME AND EXCITING THING EVAR!!!1! happening, Knights of Fate also changed status to On the Boat today, too!  So for that, I’m thinking end of July might be a good expectation there.  Its time At the Printer was a very breezy 21 days, which is basically entirely average (if not a little quick) for BEFORE the Great Delays of 2017, which is promising.  I’m gonna peg it as July 26 for now :) .

Also, !!! IMPORTANT NOTE !!!  I am purposefully avoiding spoilers for Unlimited Power.  I’m taking the day off of work when it comes out and simply sitting down and reading it cover to cover.  Please be polite and do not post any pre-release spoilers here in my thread.  That’s what this thread is for :) .

Cheers!  It feels great to be back at predictin’ stuff :D !

Edited by Absol197

Has Fully Operational shipped yet??

I have a really annoying pre-order that won't ship until dawn of rebellion, fully operational and unlimited power are all released. 

2 minutes ago, SirSaiCo said:

Has Fully Operational shipped yet??

I have a really annoying pre-order that won't ship until dawn of rebellion, fully operational and unlimited power are all released. 

Umm... yes.  Fully Operational was released back on March 29.