Absol197

Trends, Statistics, and Predictions!

17 minutes ago, SithArissa said:

I am joking of course, and was trying to lighten the mood that has dropped like a stone recently. If any offence was taken by @Absol197 or anyone else I apologise profusely and would like to make it known it wasn't intended. My sense of humour is more edgelord than I would like sometimes.

It's most definitely not you, Arissa, don't worry :) .  But thank you, regardless!

1 hour ago, Ahrimon said:

I don't know if this helps, but my FLGS looked up FO on their distributors site and it's saying a release of 31 March.

Well, that's a point against my doomsday scenario, at least.  Taking a look at what that would mean:

There are only two possible release dates left this quarter - March 22 and March 29.  March 22 is the release date for Legion, and given that they've purposefully let this upcoming week and the next (March 8 and March 15) go without new releases, I think we can safely say that they are NOT going to release anything but Legion on March 22.

So either we get our release on March 29 (which would mean a change in status on March 14), or the distributor is wrong.  I've been considering that they might just wait until Legion is out, but in those scenarios I'd been assuming they'd give it an extra week of breathing room, pushing any other potential releases into April, at the earliest.  Let's hope I'm wrong about everything. 

...like I haven't said THAT a hundred times in the past year...

2 hours ago, Absol197 said:

Well, that's a point against my doomsday scenario, at least.  Taking a look at what that would mean:

There are only two possible release dates left this quarter - March 22 and March 29.  March 22 is the release date for Legion, and given that they've purposefully let this upcoming week and the next (March 8 and March 15) go without new releases, I think we can safely say that they are NOT going to release anything but Legion on March 22.

So either we get our release on March 29 (which would mean a change in status on March 14), or the distributor is wrong.  I've been considering that they might just wait until Legion is out, but in those scenarios I'd been assuming they'd give it an extra week of breathing room, pushing any other potential releases into April, at the earliest.  Let's hope I'm wrong about everything. 

yay for Einsteins Bday, a.k.a. pi day 3.14....

7 hours ago, Absol197 said:

I've counted. It's more like 576 times... I may have missed one or two though so my numbers may be off.:D

So I've been thinking... dangerous I know, however... 

It just occurrd to me that the reason dawn jumped the line may be because they have serious plans to add more of the like, and soon... and wanted it out asap so they could see how it was received before jumping into the others and over commiting. 

Much as I don't like the fact that it beat FO to the stores I can understand the business sense in doing so. I think that this could suggest that not only is the line not going to stagnate any time soon but in fact it could be ramping up with more era books in the pipeline sooner rather than later. In a way the idea of era books are a minor shift in focus but they open up a lot more material to keep the lines vibrant and new.

I know the idea of more era books isn't really new, however I don't think anyone has brought up the reason for dawn being pushed so fast to the market. IIRC it was announced just before UP and yet it beat FO and SnM to market... so far by a fair margin. 

If this is true we may see the next book announced as an old republic era book... Or maybe a new republic era? Who knows. We'll just have to wait and see.

58 minutes ago, jayc007 said:

So I've been thinking... dangerous I know, however... 

It just occurrd to me that the reason dawn jumped the line may be because they have serious plans to add more of the like, and soon... and wanted it out asap so they could see how it was received before jumping into the others and over commiting. 

Much as I don't like the fact that it beat FO to the stores I can understand the business sense in doing so. I think that this could suggest that not only is the line not going to stagnate any time soon but in fact it could be ramping up with more era books in the pipeline sooner rather than later. In a way the idea of era books are a minor shift in focus but they open up a lot more material to keep the lines vibrant and new.

I know the idea of more era books isn't really new, however I don't think anyone has brought up the reason for dawn being pushed so fast to the market. IIRC it was announced just before UP and yet it beat FO and SnM to market... so far by a fair margin. 

If this is true we may see the next book announced as an old republic era book... Or maybe a new republic era? Who knows. We'll just have to wait and see.

There’s another reason it might have skipped the line, and it’s purely a marketing reason (an understandable one, at that). It’s very heavy on Rebels information, and reached shelves just in time for the show’s sprint to the series finale. (As I recall, the originally announced rough release timeframe would have put it in stores around the time this final season started.)

On 3/3/2018 at 4:46 PM, Absol197 said:

Maybe I'm just optimistic but I still firmly believe that something will release on March 8 (though not necessarily for the RPG). In the past, when we've hit Thursdays with nothing new showing "Shipping Now" for that release date, we've gotten POD or digital releases dropped, ready to order immediately. I'm betting this Thursday will not be completely bare - maybe we'll get specialization decks for Dawn of Rebellion. Or perhaps new mats for one of the miniatures games, or POD scenarios for the LotR LCG, or some other surprise. 

No releases announced for two straight weeks is weirder though...

58 minutes ago, jayc007 said:

It would still be nice if they would tell us what' going on with the other books... don't just leave us in limbo

I'm pretty sure every one of us with even a passing interest in buying these books would love a frank explanation over the vague non-answers we've currently bene getting.  If enough people were perhaps to vote for that question in the O66 thread, maybe we can appeal to the kinder side of FFG to give us a real answer.  Our query comes from a place of love :lol:

On 3/5/2018 at 12:50 PM, Nytwyng said:

There’s another reason it might have skipped the line, and it’s purely a marketing reason (an understandable one, at that). It’s very heavy on Rebels information, and reached shelves just in time for the show’s sprint to the series finale. (As I recall, the originally announced rough release timeframe would have put it in stores around the time this final season started.)

Heh, and if you saw the finale of Rebels...

it just drives the dagger home with the whole decision to not include "Lasat" as a playable race.

So no one made comment on it but it appears @Absol197 was correct and legion is the reason we aren't getting our books. Most have moved to shipping now with just a few stragglers on the boat still.

I understand the business decision but totally disappointed in ffg. 

5 hours ago, jayc007 said:

So no one made comment on it but it appears @Absol197 was correct and legion is the reason we aren't getting our books. Most have moved to shipping now with just a few stragglers on the boat still.

I understand the business decision but totally disappointed in ffg. 

Correlation is not causation. We've known the Legion stuff was releasing on 3/22 for a month. The lack of an RPG release might be related, it might not. It just doesn't seem credible that they would skip announcing two weeks worth of release dates (3/8 and 3/15) to "build hype for Legion" but then have Legion share the 3/22 release date with a totally unrelated product (an expansion for the Arkham LCG).

I don't think we're ever going to know why the books are taking so long, but I don't think we can really say it's because of Legion.

1 minute ago, Yaccarus said:

Given the lack of books, currently:

EACH STEP IS A NEW NIGHTMARE! ALL I FEEL IS PAIN!

Since Fully Operational should be out within the next ten years, it’ll be there around the time when the Singularity Engine is complete.

I think I previously predicted 110 years or some such, but yeah. Set our sights high(low) and there is little chance of being disappointed.

3 hours ago, jayc007 said:

I think I previously predicted 110 years or some such, but yeah. Set our sights high(low) and there is little chance of being disappointed.

The Books will all be released Soon TM. 

(Soon: Copyright 2004-2018 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between Blizzard Entertainment and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, Blizzard does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as Blizzard will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon.)

Just now, Absol197 said:

So, while I'm as frustrated with the delay as any of you (not specifically for the sake of Fully Operational, more for the fact that the book I want is at the back of the line, and any delay to FO is a delay to my book), my current guess is that FFG didn't, in fact, have these books in hand until today.

My guess is that they were on the same boat as Legion, hence the changing status at the same time.  However, since Legion is a new product launch that has already been delayed as well (I believe it was originally scheduled for a late Q3, or a mid-Q4 release), that is meant to appeal to a wider audience base and create a larger amount of revenue, and requires more logistical management due to larger volume per item and larger quantity of items (due to it being a new product release, and due to the fact that there are ancillary products, such as rulers, dice, and mini-expansions, that are like-wise necessary), I think they just didn't have the infrastructure available to get a new book and Legion out the same day.  Coupled with the fact that they definitely want Legion to have a spotlight day without competing with other Star Wars products, they simply chose to delay the shipping of the new RPG books one week.

If we see, like I'm expecting, Fully Operational (or, dream scenario, all three books) change status next week, we'll basically have confirmation that this is the case.  If it is, my guess is they paid extra to have Dawn of Rebellion rushed here, which is why it came out early, probably because they wanted (or LucasFilm demanded) it to be released before the Rebels finale that just happened/is currently happening.  Because of the heavy Rebels influence, that book was technically on a timer, whereas the others aren't.

And the fact that Dim Carcosa also releases on the same day doesn't necessarily negate this hypothesis: it's not a Star Wars product, so it's not competing with Legion on that front; those mini-packs are much smaller than an RPG book (my guess is 20% to 25% the size by volume), and the plastic covering provides decent protection, meaning less packing volume as well.  Plus, they're cheaper, once again preventing both stores and players from having to split their money as much.

Now, all that said, this is all still a hypothesis.  We can't know if it's true directly.  That means that next week is crucial.  While the weight of the wait seems to be literally crushing me at times, I can understand rushing Dawn to get it here before Rebels ends, and delaying us one week to give their important new line a good opening day.  Those things are reasonable, even if they leave me grumpy.  But if we don't start shipping next week, then my hypothesis is wrong, and I can't come up with any more that would explain events in a satisfactory manner.

If that were to happen, I may actually quit the line, at least for a while.  My Brain doesn't deal well with stresses like this, and I'm afraid I might literally snap if I allow myself to obsess over this too much more...

Cross-posted from the Fully Operational thread.

Edited by Absol197

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:23 PM, Dr Lucky said:

Maybe I'm just optimistic but I still firmly believe that something will release on March 8 (though not necessarily for the RPG). In the past, when we've hit Thursdays with nothing new showing "Shipping Now" for that release date, we've gotten POD or digital releases dropped, ready to order immediately. I'm betting this Thursday will not be completely bare - maybe we'll get specialization decks for Dawn of Rebellion. Or perhaps new mats for one of the miniatures games, or POD scenarios for the LotR LCG, or some other surprise. 

No releases announced for two straight weeks is weirder though...

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/3/8/honored-duel-two-player-playmat/

An L5R playmat... underwhelming even by the low standards of what I was expecting.  However, it is a new release on 3/8.  Maybe we'll get Specialization Decks for Dawn of Rebellion next Thursday.

On the subject of actual RPG releases, I don't think the fact that all the books were updated to "On the Boat" status on the same day actually means they were on the same boat or actually shipped on the same day (and I don't think it means they actually shipped at the same time as Legion either).  The fact that those sort of updates happen so infrequently and usually change the status of so many products at a time (many of which are made in lots of different types of facilities) means that they are almost certainly batch updating the Upcoming page.  12/21/17 is the date that someone bothered to update the status of stuff, it doesn't necessarily mean they are all at exactly the same spot in production or shipping.

That being said, I'm as excited as anyone to get my hands on three more career books...

I'm checking in after being off for a little while. I'm really worried about the release schedule. Everything has been pushed off until so late in the year The other thing is that we really need one adventure book per game per year at least. Does anyone know anything about how sales have been or any indication of how successful the line is for FFG at this point? I try to do my part and introduce others to the game every chance I get; everyone one who plays it loves it.

On 3/8/2018 at 10:48 PM, Absol197 said:

I believe it was originally scheduled for a late Q3, or a mid-Q4 release

Legion was never a late Q3 release. For about 2 months (aug-sep) at most, it was down as Q4 and then switched over to 'early' (Q1?) 2018.