Jump to content
Absol197

Trends, Statistics, and Predictions!

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

Listening to the Pirate they are still working on stuff so I would say no they have not run out of stuff.

I Also remember that post from the pirate, hence my skepticism that they are trying to stagger releases to maintain the license.  They probably have books ready to be announced but like absol has previously stated they only like 4 books in the announced pipeline at a time. There are probably many books we don't know about and won't know about until the next book drops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Absol197 said:

It would be, but remember we don't know that the books were actually printed and boated.  They may simply have changed the status because they knew we were antsy for updates and they wanted to appear like they were doing something. 

So instead limiting cash flow by parking product, they are deceitful lairs? Not sure that is a prudent business decision either. 

Edited by Arrakus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I mentioned in another thread I heard through the proverbial holovine that FFG had some not so minor printing issues with their Chinese printing contractor. It was so bad that they had to scrap an entire print run (Dawn of Rebellion) and start over. This in turn caused subsequent releases in the pipeline to get backed up.  This is also why they switched to a USA based printer for their Genyses product line (and why the core book came out so fast compared to the SWRPG books which were announced long ago). Also, obviously, all Star Wars material has to get clearances from Disney/Lucasfilm before they can go to the printers which inherently adds extra delays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Otakuon said:

As I mentioned in another thread I heard through the proverbial holovine that FFG had some not so minor printing issues with their Chinese printing contractor. It was so bad that they had to scrap an entire print run (Dawn of Rebellion) and start over. This in turn caused subsequent releases in the pipeline to get backed up.  This is also why they switched to a USA based printer for their Genyses product line (and why the core book came out so fast compared to the SWRPG books which were announced long ago). Also, obviously, all Star Wars material has to get clearances from Disney/Lucasfilm before they can go to the printers which inherently adds extra delays. 

Any legitimate facts behind this? Because FO was in the pipe before Dawn was even announced and had already passed its approvals prior to going to print. So unless said printer decided to bump FO and wait for Dawn to catch up, this all seems rather nonsensical. In addition, it doesn’t explain how the book has been back on US soil for at least as long as Dawn and yet has not been released. Clearly it is being held up bc of some consideration of timing probably as has been said to have seperate product windows so as not to adversely affect sales of lines..... but for the fans that have waited without word or sign for some progress on this book (FO) it’s not only disheartening it’s the worst business practices on display. 

TLDR: I’ve seen the excuses and they suck. Release the **** book already. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Otakuon said:

As I mentioned in another thread I heard through the proverbial holovine that FFG had some not so minor printing issues with their Chinese printing contractor. It was so bad that they had to scrap an entire print run (Dawn of Rebellion) and start over. This in turn caused subsequent releases in the pipeline to get backed up.  This is also why they switched to a USA based printer for their Genyses product line (and why the core book came out so fast compared to the SWRPG books which were announced long ago). Also, obviously, all Star Wars material has to get clearances from Disney/Lucasfilm before they can go to the printers which inherently adds extra delays. 

DoR went to print on November 21st, it went on the boat 1 month later. It's incredibly unlikely that in that month 2 entire print runs were produced, and that one was scrapped in total.

I can't see any subsequent releases being affected as a) all the other books went on the boat at the same time and b) Knights of Fate was announced in Mid Jan and is a long way from being printed.

The last point, about approvals, also has nothing to do with shipping time, and the 'what's happening with the books?'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Absol197 said:

I know :( .

I'm sorry everyone, I know I may be overreacting.  I suppose I'm just getting tired of hoping that our books will be just around the next corner.  No, not that one, the next one.  Okay, maybe the next one...

The next one...?

You aren't the only one Absol.  We are all tired of being jerked around, and as many people have pointed out,  none of any of this makes any sense at this point except what amounts to a business decision to not flood game stores with a glut of product, especially with a huge release of a new game on the horizon.  

It's pretty crappy to do to people.   And the irony of this is that if only FFG would just post a press release with a path forward, most of the angst would probably just evaporate.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TrystramK said:

You aren't the only one Absol.  We are all tired of being jerked around, and as many people have pointed out,  none of any of this makes any sense at this point except what amounts to a business decision to not flood game stores with a glut of product, especially with a huge release of a new game on the horizon.  

It's pretty crappy to do to people.   And the irony of this is that if only FFG would just post a press release with a path forward, most of the angst would probably just evaporate.   

That's the really key thing, it's the lack of communication that leads to confusion and worry - some stores aren't putting up pre-orders for rpg books now because of the uncertainty over when they'll come in leading to frustration from their customers.

Similarly when all 4 went onto the ship at the same time, a number of people said they were pre-ordering them all in one shipment, expecting them to come out around the same time and either get free shipping, or minimise their costs - so now they have to amend orders and split them, or wait an unknown amount of time to get DoR say.

Just saying, for example 'we're staggering the releases over the next X weeks so as not to hit everyone's wallet in the same month' (or whatever the explanation/timeline is) would be understandable and let people plan their spending.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. I do have all four books preordered through Miniature Market.  I only did so recently when all four books went on the boat. Yes, I did suspect they would be staggered with a week to three between releases... but I did not suspect the rumored quarter staggering.  Otherwise I would have just picked up DotR at my local gaming store like I have done with about half of the releases. If FFG either lied about the items being on the boat, or decided to stagger by quarters that just feels like a bad practice as far as customer relations.  Hopefully neither of those two options are true. I am willing to wait for my DotR book, but I don't want to wait nearly another year. If FFG could give us a little insight that would help me know what I should do. I don't want to cancel my order then have the other three books come out this month.

Too many releases at once can be poor for an RPG. However I would say with the delays that happened last year it would be worse further delaying product. I love that FFG has a model that allows them to constantly reprint their titles. I would hate to see them fall into bad practices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GM81 Protocol Droid said:

Too many releases at once can be poor for an RPG. However I would say with the delays that happened last year it would be worse further delaying product. I love that FFG has a model that allows them to constantly reprint their titles. I would hate to see them fall into bad practices.

I agree that too many releases at once can be bad, but what really constitutes "at once?"  I think one book every two to three weeks is sufficient staggering given the dearth of new material over the past year.   

It's really bad how people who pre-ordered all 4 are getting shafted, or so others have said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also they are for different lines - so a short staggered release would still not be a major issue - **** the game I play in used ALL the books and we wouldn’t care if they all same out on the same day, if it was today so much the better

 

ps I apologise that the demon infested location is a bad word...

Edited by Random Bystander

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, there's one glimmer of good news: we're now at 71 days On the Boat.  Currently, every book that I've tracked that's had a boating time of 71 days or greater (currently only two - No Disintegrations and Ghosts of Dathomir) changed status to Shipping Now on a Friday.  All other books with a faster boating time changed on a Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on how you want to measure it.

So at this point, every day between Wednesday and Friday each week has the potential for a status change.  However, that also means that every day between Wednesday and Friday has the potential for disappointment, rather than JUST Wednesday having that potential...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I agree that staggering with a week to three between releases is plenty to prevent saturation and isn't a terrible burden on those us who preordered. Especially with them spread across 2(3) sub-lines. In reality, I would have preferred all four books to just come out at once if they all arrived at once. I suspect that is true for most of us. A release every quarter is probably about right for the Star Wars RPG line as a whole (all three considered as one) if that time scale is generally kept up. If a big delay causes books to be pushed back into later time frames as has actually happened, I think for the particulars of this line and crowd the best thing is to let it all get released at that point. This RPG line has not shelf warmed.  We generally are not surprised by the release of books since FFG has generally been good about announcing upcoming product.

At worse, I hope any hold back of already printed and received books is just one per month. That still pushes me getting my books into May. Livable but not ideal. 

In all honesty, I am not involved in any games at the moment. That makes book delays less harmful in one sense, but it also lowers them in my priority if they delay too much.  I was distracted by the L5R RPG beta. Receiving four new Star Wars books had  good chance of switching me back to Star Wars with L5R group.

Edit: Thank you, Absol. Now I am hoping for good news today. What a double edged sword! My thanks is sincere. Information is always great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Khazadune said:

Any legitimate facts behind this? Because FO was in the pipe before Dawn was even announced and had already passed its approvals prior to going to print. So unless said printer decided to bump FO and wait for Dawn to catch up, this all seems rather nonsensical. In addition, it doesn’t explain how the book has been back on US soil for at least as long as Dawn and yet has not been released. Clearly it is being held up bc of some consideration of timing probably as has been said to have seperate product windows so as not to adversely affect sales of lines..... but for the fans that have waited without word or sign for some progress on this book (FO) it’s not only disheartening it’s the worst business practices on display. 

TLDR: I’ve seen the excuses and they suck. Release the **** book already. 

I heard it mentioned on an Order 66 podcast if I recall.  I agree that it is just a rumor, but if true, it's a reasonable explanation for the extreme delays (and while they mentioned Dawn of Rebellion specifically, who's to say that was the book affected).  The fact that FFG decided to go with a USA based printer over their regular Chinese based printer for Genyses does add some fuel to the fire.

Regardless, I agree that at this point FFG just needs to release all the books currently listed as "On the Boat" as soon as they are "off the boat" and not put any further artificial delays on their release.  After the consistent release schedule that followed the induction of this product line almost 4 years ago, the recent slow downs seem suspect especially given that the development for these products was completed about a year ago.

 

8 hours ago, Evilref said:

DoR went to print on November 21st, it went on the boat 1 month later. It's incredibly unlikely that in that month 2 entire print runs were produced, and that one was scrapped in total.

I can't see any subsequent releases being affected as a) all the other books went on the boat at the same time and b) Knights of Fate was announced in Mid Jan and is a long way from being printed.

The last point, about approvals, also has nothing to do with shipping time, and the 'what's happening with the books?'

No, approval times does not play into this, just making a general statement that the development times for SWRPG books would be longer than books for, say, Genyses because of the extra step needed to get the clearances from the license holder.  The real question here is why does it seem that these particular books were stuck on a boat that just did circles in the middle of the pacific for the better part of a year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Otakuon said:

As I mentioned in another thread I heard through the proverbial holovine that FFG had some not so minor printing issues with their Chinese printing contractor. It was so bad that they had to scrap an entire print run (Dawn of Rebellion) and start over. This in turn caused subsequent releases in the pipeline to get backed up.  This is also why they switched to a USA based printer for their Genyses product line (and why the core book came out so fast compared to the SWRPG books which were announced long ago). Also, obviously, all Star Wars material has to get clearances from Disney/Lucasfilm before they can go to the printers which inherently adds extra delays. 

I think it more likely that that was in part what happened to GoD or FO or some of the reprints since those were the longest products on hold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SithArissa said:

I don't know. I want the books but this slow decent into madness that @Absol197is having is quite entertaining. 

+10 conflict. 

I'm in the exact opposite boat, actually.  I only run Star Wars from June to August, so the delay will have minimal impact on my game; but seeing one of the friendliest and most inoffensive members of this community get so depressed just makes my heart hurt.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Vorzakk said:

I'm in the exact opposite boat, actually.  I only run Star Wars from June to August, so the delay will have minimal impact on my game; but seeing one of the friendliest and most inoffensive members of this community get so depressed just makes my heart hurt.  

I am joking of course, and was trying to lighten the mood that has dropped like a stone recently. If any offence was taken by @Absol197 or anyone else I apologise profusely and would like to make it known it wasn't intended. My sense of humour is more edgelord than I would like sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...