Jump to content
Absol197

Trends, Statistics, and Predictions!

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, CeilingSquid said:

Odd thing, and maybe I'm blind...has anyone noticed that the Republic and Separatists II adversary deck doesn't show up on the upcoming page? Or is that just me missing something?

You are right, it isn't there. However, that's not really surprising. Most (but not all) of the products that FFG makes stateside in their in-house production facility, like Adversary/Specialization Decks, play mats, LotR Nightmare Decks, and Organized Play prize kits just never go to the upcoming page (even when it seemed to be a priority). In addition to that, nobody seems concerned with managing that page much anymore anyway. 

You can still preorder things like the decks directly from their product pages if you are inclined to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scott McFarland said:

Yeah, I didn’t expect anything for that sadly. 

Some held out hope. Past experience told me not gonna happen. I think it should be an opportunity worth taking advantage of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point does anyone hold out hope that this line will continue? Seems to me the lack of announcements is their way of killing it softly. Perhaps they are hoping to launch new products with the end of the new trilogy, but I wouldn't buy anything from that anyways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FFG did state in one of their prior In-Flight reports that they were scaling back the line to only a couple releases a year, with a focus being on era-based sourcebooks.

Odds are the next era book will cover the Resistance era, with a release date of some time in 2020.  It's also possible they're working on a vehicle compilation book similar to the recent Gadgets & Gear splat, which from what Keith Kappel said wasn't just a simple matter of "gather up stats and toss them in the book" so stands to reason a vehicle/starship centric book would require a similar level of effort to say nothing of art resources, especially if they opt to try and include artwork of ships that previously never got art in their original appearance in the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Scott McFarland said:

The era books have been good but surely there are more product ideas that would be commercially successful? 

Well there isn't much more left to expand into. They've fleshed out all of the Careers and Specialisations, which is the main meat of content, and the rest is primarily books that only the GM would buy. I bought the two Clone Wars books because I find the era very cool and wanted the Clone and Jedi stuff whether as a player or a GM, but I haven't bought DoR or the gear book, and I don't think I would buy, say, a vehicle book.

Perhaps FFG will turn themselves around and start generating more adventure and region books, but certainly the former are only likely to be brought by a relatively small percentage of their market, so there isn't much incentive for them to buy them. If they're smart they'll keep things chugging along to attract new customers, maybe release small parcels of free content like adventure modules that are marketed in such a way as to specifically attract wholly new players into the system, but otherwise it's going to be a long, cold decline until somebody else gets the license.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ColonelCommissar said:

Well there isn't much more left to expand into. They've fleshed out all of the Careers and Specialisations, which is the main meat of content, and the rest is primarily books that only the GM would buy. I bought the two Clone Wars books because I find the era very cool and wanted the Clone and Jedi stuff whether as a player or a GM, but I haven't bought DoR or the gear book, and I don't think I would buy, say, a vehicle book.

Perhaps FFG will turn themselves around and start generating more adventure and region books, but certainly the former are only likely to be brought by a relatively small percentage of their market, so there isn't much incentive for them to buy them. If they're smart they'll keep things chugging along to attract new customers, maybe release small parcels of free content like adventure modules that are marketed in such a way as to specifically attract wholly new players into the system, but otherwise it's going to be a long, cold decline until somebody else gets the license.

I disagree that this is the end of the career or player sought content. I think it would be easy to introduce Imperials as a whole line with three to six careers that are similar but have a darker flair than what is there now for soldiers and the like. (I know people will tell me that they can make do with what they have, sure, and we could have with only the engineer instead of the tech, but we got similar but different. It's possible and still really cool. Plus that lets them introduce more species. And species sell. And then there is equipment, vehicles and planets plus adventure sites for imperial play. There's a whole new system of ranks and awards/honours... the skies the limit. ****, to sell the idea to the skeptical ones they could even use compatible signature abilities, so say a former Imp could get the imperial trooper signature ability as a soldier career. You just have to be creative in the application. 

Then there is the old republic. 

If FFG wanted to sell their product they would be launching two adventure books at least a year. Those are the gravy of any line. What do people remember about 3.5 edition D&D? They remember the Expedition Series taking them to Castle Greyhawk, Ravenloft, into Undermountain or to the Demonweb Pits. 

Create an enemy for your players! Create challenges for your players. Leaving it to the GM is fine, and most will produce excellent gameplay, but the iconic moments will come from fleshing out true baddies and scenarios. 

Where is the Rogue Squadron adventure? 

Where is the Maw Installation breakout?

Where is the secret cloning facility, dark site weapons cache, smuggling ring, ancient sith cult, Hutt Kajidic crime world detective story, clone wars campaign book... 

Launching a series of campaign books would reinvigorate the line and draw in new customers while creating memorable experiences. Rushing out a career tree is just setting the bare bones of the system in my mind. To call it quits here is just a lack of imagination.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Khazadune said:

I disagree that this is the end of the career or player sought content. I think it would be easy to introduce Imperials as a whole line with three to six careers that are similar but have a darker flair than what is there now for soldiers and the like. (I know people will tell me that they can make do with what they have, sure, and we could have with only the engineer instead of the tech, but we got similar but different. It's possible and still really cool. Plus that lets them introduce more species. And species sell. And then there is equipment, vehicles and planets plus adventure sites for imperial play. There's a whole new system of ranks and awards/honours... the skies the limit. ****, to sell the idea to the skeptical ones they could even use compatible signature abilities, so say a former Imp could get the imperial trooper signature ability as a soldier career. You just have to be creative in the application. 

Then there is the old republic. 

If FFG wanted to sell their product they would be launching two adventure books at least a year. Those are the gravy of any line. What do people remember about 3.5 edition D&D? They remember the Expedition Series taking them to Castle Greyhawk, Ravenloft, into Undermountain or to the Demonweb Pits. 

Create an enemy for your players! Create challenges for your players. Leaving it to the GM is fine, and most will produce excellent gameplay, but the iconic moments will come from fleshing out true baddies and scenarios. 

Where is the Rogue Squadron adventure? 

Where is the Maw Installation breakout?

Where is the secret cloning facility, dark site weapons cache, smuggling ring, ancient sith cult, Hutt Kajidic crime world detective story, clone wars campaign book... 

Launching a series of campaign books would reinvigorate the line and draw in new customers while creating memorable experiences. Rushing out a career tree is just setting the bare bones of the system in my mind. To call it quits here is just a lack of imagination.  

 

 

They could do a region book for F&D that has different force traditions planets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daeglan said:

They could do a region book for F&D that has different force traditions planets.

Thing is, aren't most non-Jedi/Sith force traditions now Legends? And the main ones that are canon (Nightsisters, Bardottans) are already covered in existing books.

I imagine FFG is going to be sticking with canon sources for the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Kualan said:

Thing is, aren't most non-Jedi/Sith force traditions now Legends? And the main ones that are canon (Nightsisters, Bardottans) are already covered in existing books.

I imagine FFG is going to be sticking with canon sources for the future.

There are many non-canon items/events included already. They have stayed more true than others, but even among canon sources there are still lots of traditions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Khazadune said:

There are many non-canon items/events included already. They have stayed more true than others, but even among canon sources there are still lots of traditions. 

A lot of the earlier books contain a wealth of stuff that would be considered Legends now (Lords of Nal Hutta in particular is a treasure trove of EU lore, for example) but the more recent releases definitely tend to adhere to canon sources almost exclusively. That's not to say there aren't still some Legends references (the Lok Revenants and the Sun Guard are mentioned as mercenary companies in Collapse) but the trend seems to be keeping these to smaller nods and winks rather than something to base a whole book on. Same reason there is likely never going to be an Old Republic book (until such a time when that era is defined in the NuCanon).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can deal with the scaling-back, I just wish region books were on the plate too. Era books are fantastic and welcome, but it's a big galaxy, after all. There's a wealth of potential content in detailing out more of it.

I also would echo others here for Imperial/Dark Side focused content. I don't think it could sustain it's own line, and almost all the necessary resources do exist in other books, but a sourcebook that focuses on running such campaigns and characters would be very welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CeilingSquid said:

I can deal with the scaling-back, I just wish region books were on the plate too. Era books are fantastic and welcome, but it's a big galaxy, after all. There's a wealth of potential content in detailing out more of it.

I also would echo others here for Imperial/Dark Side focused content. I don't think it could sustain it's own line, and almost all the necessary resources do exist in other books, but a sourcebook that focuses on running such campaigns and characters would be very welcome.

Agreed, they really missed the boat on that, they could have a whole bunch of hives of scum and villainy to detail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kualan said:

Thing is, aren't most non-Jedi/Sith force traditions now Legends? And the main ones that are canon (Nightsisters, Bardottans) are already covered in existing books.

I imagine FFG is going to be sticking with canon sources for the future.

Disciples of Harmony has tmany of them

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2019 at 6:01 PM, Khazadune said:

At this point does anyone hold out hope that this line will continue? Seems to me the lack of announcements is their way of killing it softly. Perhaps they are hoping to launch new products with the end of the new trilogy, but I wouldn't buy anything from that anyways. 

The recent AMA was pretty damning. I get the sense that Lucasfilm isn’t taking their calls on proposals for the line. 
 

They could definitely do a big volume Clone Wars campaign adventure. They could do an amazing Shadowports guide. They could do an Escape From The Empire adventure (pcs start off conscripted into the imperial war machine and have to contact the rebellion and escape) to scratch that ‘working for the empire’ itch many players / gms seem to have. 
 

And probably dozens more things they’ve pitched and not heard back on. 
 

The silence and empty schedule is worrying though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Scott McFarland said:

The recent AMA was pretty damning. I get the sense that Lucasfilm isn’t taking their calls on proposals for the line. 
 

They could definitely do a big volume Clone Wars campaign adventure. They could do an amazing Shadowports guide. They could do an Escape From The Empire adventure (pcs start off conscripted into the imperial war machine and have to contact the rebellion and escape) to scratch that ‘working for the empire’ itch many players / gms seem to have. 
 

And probably dozens more things they’ve pitched and not heard back on. 
 

The silence and empty schedule is worrying though. 

What makes you think they have that level of control over the product? That would be a terrible price to pay to get the contract and something I wouldn't ever sign on to. I think it's more likely they just ensure the product is not contrary to their approach. For example, one writer described his process for creating the frog species background, it didn't involve a pitch to the mouse, although it was read. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Khazadune said:

What makes you think they have that level of control over the product? That would be a terrible price to pay to get the contract and something I wouldn't ever sign on to. I think it's more likely they just ensure the product is not contrary to their approach. For example, one writer described his process for creating the frog species background, it didn't involve a pitch to the mouse, although it was read. 

Do you think then that FFG aren’t creating content? I got the impression from Andrew Navaro’s use of conditionals - we’d like to, we could etc in his AMA that FFG was proposing things and not getting the green light back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 1:42 AM, Scott McFarland said:

The era books have been good but surely there are more product ideas that would be commercially successful? 

 

On 10/7/2019 at 6:56 AM, Demon4x4 said:

In addition to basically everything above, I also think something like the Pathfinder release 'Pathfinder Unchained,' with some alternate rules, would be fun. 

Even if we aren't getting more career books, I could see a book for each line with one more spec per career.  That would be easily combined with some other alternate rules, maybe lifted from the Genesys Expanded Player's Guide.

Surely there's at least one more spec possible in each career. For EotE, I could imagine some of these:

Bounty Hunter: Infochant
Colonist: Administrator or Artist
Explorer: Cartographer or Jockey
Hired Gun: Gladiator
Smuggler: Forger
Technician: Security Tech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...