Absol197

Trends, Statistics, and Predictions!

With regards to Green Ronin, if one is referring specifically to the long delay on the Faces of Thedas book, the fault there lies entirely with BioWare, as said company was ridiculously slow with responding on their end of the approvals process.  From what I understand FoT had been ready to go for quite some time, with the only reason GR didn't publish it was that BioWare hadn't responded to give the final approval.

They've had some delays with their Mutants&Masterminds products, but then GR has generally been in the habit of not announcing release dates until the product is available for pre-order and the PDFs are available for sale due to having been burned in the past.  They also seem to be focusing quite a bit more on their in-house AGE system, which would explain why there's not been as much new content for what used to be their flagship game.

Posted (edited)

Seriously, they announced Collapse already?  Hot dog!  I really like this one!  I think it's a toss up which is better, Rise or Collapse.

Maybe you guys can tell me!  ... in late 2021,when both are finally out. 

EDIT: And I have... new data to enter? :blink:  What is this madness? Sparta? 

Edited by Absol197

2 hours ago, Absol197 said:

EDIT: And I have... new data to enter? :blink:  What is this madness? Sparta?  

Look out folks. Absol is back in the game.

to paraphrase Dune, "The prophecies must flow!"

2 minutes ago, warchild1x said:

Look out folks. Absol is back in the game.

to paraphrase Dune, "The prophecies must flow!"

And to quote Treebeard, "Now, don't be hasty!" 😛 .  Things have been so out of whack lately that I seriously doubt I'll be able to bring the same level of prophesiing power to the table.

But it's nice to be back :) .

55 minutes ago, Absol197 said:

And to quote Treebeard, "Now, don't be hasty!" 😛 .  Things have been so out of whack lately that I seriously doubt I'll be able to bring the same level of prophesiing power to the table.

But it's nice to be back :) .

We have faith in you absol

17 hours ago, Khazadune said:

Green Ronin meant to indicate a publisher famous for delivering content at a decent pace? 

They did used to pump out good content on a regular basis. That knowledge combined with the large amount of unrealized potential (compendiums of Species, Planets, Creatures... there's lots of treasure left to pull out, so why the unreasonable delays, and the lack of communication?) 

Green Ronin did this when they were still working on the Dragon Age system. They started out strong, then there was a long gap, then a longer one.... I haven't done much with them since they finally finished the core rules for Dragon Age so I can't say how they are now. Just that FFG's delays at this point remind me a lot of the 5 year wait for the set of the Dragon Age rules with levels 10-20 in them. 

1 hour ago, Vestij Jai Galaar said:

Green Ronin did this when they were still working on the Dragon Age system. They started out strong, then there was a long gap, then a longer one.... I haven't done much with them since they finally finished the core rules for Dragon Age so I can't say how they are now. Just that FFG's delays at this point remind me a lot of the 5 year wait for the set of the Dragon Age rules with levels 10-20 in them. 

Faces of Thedas will hopefully be out this year, 2 years after announcement, 1 year after my campaign ended. 

6 hours ago, Vestij Jai Galaar said:

As I noted above, the delays with Dragon Age, from box sets to Faces of Thedas, can be laid directly at the feet of BioWare.  Green Ronin was transparent enough to say "yeah, we know you're upset that Product X isn't out yet, and here's why," and each time it came down to waiting for approvals.  Sometimes it was "okay, BioWare wants us to change these things so we've got a delay because of that," but more often it was "yeah, we sent it off to BioWare but they're not responding to us for reasons we can only speculate on."  Granted said reasons may or may not be the fault of how EA runs things (into the ground generally speaking), but ultimately the lack of BioWare response was something that Green Ronin had no control over.  Frankly, WotC and FFG have been quite lucky in that Lucasfilm is prompt with their responses, as I've heard a number of other horror stories regarding licensed games where the license holder took half of forever to respond (which usually boiled down to the license holder really not seeing the RPG as being worth the time or trouble).  So far Modiphius hasn't run into any problems, which given the number of licensed properties they're running with (such as Conan, Star Trek, and now Fallout) is pretty amazing.  And probably nobody was more frustrated with that whole fiasco than Green Ronin themselves, perhaps to the point that Faces of Thedas may will be their final product for that license.

5 hours ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

As I noted above, the delays with Dragon Age, from box sets to Faces of Thedas, can be laid directly at the feet of BioWare.  Green Ronin was transparent enough to say "yeah, we know you're upset that Product X isn't out yet, and here's why," and each time it came down to waiting for approvals.  Sometimes it was "okay, BioWare wants us to change these things so we've got a delay because of that," but more often it was "yeah, we sent it off to BioWare but they're not responding to us for reasons we can only speculate on."  Granted said reasons may or may not be the fault of how EA runs things (into the ground generally speaking), but ultimately the lack of BioWare response was something that Green Ronin had no control over.  Frankly, WotC and FFG have been quite lucky in that Lucasfilm is prompt with their responses, as I've heard a number of other horror stories regarding licensed games where the license holder took half of forever to respond (which usually boiled down to the license holder really not seeing the RPG as being worth the time or trouble).  So far Modiphius hasn't run into any problems, which given the number of licensed properties they're running with (such as Conan, Star Trek, and now Fallout) is pretty amazing.  And probably nobody was more frustrated with that whole fiasco than Green Ronin themselves, perhaps to the point that Faces of Thedas may will be their final product for that license.

Good to know. So then does this delay only mean there are still printing problems, or is Disney not responding to FFG? I guess we probably won't know, but it's still sad to wait that long. 

40 minutes ago, Vestij Jai Galaar said:

Good to know. So then does this delay only mean there are still printing problems, or is Disney not responding to FFG? I guess we probably won't know, but it's still sad to wait that long. 

With regards to FFG's situation, there's no way for us to really know what the root cause for the delay, since it seems their Customer Service department is being tight-lipped, most likely as the reps themselves don't know and are likely providing a canned response to any inquiry about products that haven't been officially released.

Though probably safe to say that if Lucasfilm (remember that Disney has ZERO involvement with the day-to-day operations of Lucasfilm) wasn't responding to FFG and RotS was held up in approvals, it wouldn't be listed as "on the boat" but rather as "in development" since without approvals, FFG pretty much can't send the book to the printers.  Plus, Lucasfilm has in general been good working with license holders to keep things moving; the last major kerfluffle that I can recall is the whole cross-media event for The Force Unleashed being fumbled due to LucasArts not being able to get the game finished on schedule, causing the bulk of tie-in products to be delayed to avoid spoilers of the game; the only product that was released in the originally planned time frame was WotC's set of collectible minis expansion for TFU simply due to them not being able much less willing to pay the storage costs for the several months it would take for LucasArts to get the game finished.

1 hour ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

With regards to FFG's situation, there's no way for us to really know what the root cause for the delay, since it seems their Customer Service department is being tight-lipped, most likely as the reps themselves don't know and are likely providing a canned response to any inquiry about products that haven't been officially released.

Though probably safe to say that if Lucasfilm (remember that Disney has ZERO involvement with the day-to-day operations of Lucasfilm) wasn't responding to FFG and RotS was held up in approvals, it wouldn't be listed as "on the boat" but rather as "in development" since without approvals, FFG pretty much can't send the book to the printers.  Plus, Lucasfilm has in general been good working with license holders to keep things moving; the last major kerfluffle that I can recall is the whole cross-media event for The Force Unleashed being fumbled due to LucasArts not being able to get the game finished on schedule, causing the bulk of tie-in products to be delayed to avoid spoilers of the game; the only product that was released in the originally planned time frame was WotC's set of collectible minis expansion for TFU simply due to them not being able much less willing to pay the storage costs for the several months it would take for LucasArts to get the game finished.

That was Lucasfilm, this is Kathleen Kennedy's destruction of everything beloved in a galaxy far, far, away. I wouldn't be surprised if she held it up because she wanted it to be more like The Lame Jedi..... shudder. 

27 minutes ago, Khazadune said:

That was Lucasfilm, this is Kathleen Kennedy's destruction of everything beloved in a galaxy far, far, away. I wouldn't be surprised if she held it up because she wanted it to be more like The Lame Jedi..... shudder. 

Oh kindly **** off with that crap.

1 hour ago, Khazadune said:

Can we please refrain from opening this can of worms on this thread, as it is a very useful one, and it will get locked very quickly if such discussion goes any further. 

17 hours ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

Modiphious has had trouble with their infinity books because of Corvus Belli being slow and being very controlling...

Posted (edited)

So now we have a rough idea of a problem we may be able to work back up a timescale, and given this is a well-regarded source for predictions maybe people here could work something out. As events go we have:

• RotS boards the boat - 6 September 2018
  • RotS arrives off the boat
  • A problem is determined at quality control and a new order is placed
  • The new order is completed
  • The new order boards the boat
  • The new order arrives

Is it possible to work out roughly how long that would have taken? I know we've been saying it's on its way for the best part of nine months, but there must be a way to work something out surely?

Edited by ColonelCommissar
Dates changed

9 hours ago, ColonelCommissar said:

So now we have a rough idea of a problem we may be able to work back up a timescale, and given this is a well-regarded source for predictions maybe people here could work something out. As events go we have:

• The new order arrives

Is it possible to work out roughly how long that would have taken? I know we've been saying it's on its way for the best part of nine months, but there must be a way to work something out surely?

I've tried this once before, with Ghosts of Dathomir, I believe.  It wasn't the most accurate thing in the world, but I could try again, using Ghosts and Fully Operational as a reference.

For an update, because I'm finally able to do those again, we're currently at 186 days On the Boat.  That's in third place, behind Ghosts of Dathomir at 203, and Cyphers and Masks at 209.  Do keep in mind, though, that Rise entirely skipped the At the Printer stage of development, so it's possible that, looking at this as a raw timeline, we may need to wait that amount of  time, too.

If not, I would say we should start looking for the status to change around the beginning of the month, 04/03 to be precise.  If we do need to add in printing time... well, Ghosts of Dathomir also had the longest printing time of 74 days, so add another two-and-a-half months on to that.  Maybe the middle of June (probably the 19th).  And of course, that's for the status to change.  We'd still need to wait the two weeks for the book to ship to stores as well.

14 hours ago, ColonelCommissar said:

• The new order arrives

Im sure absol can give us numbers for the last CF to work with.

4 hours ago, Absol197 said:

I've tried this once before, with Ghosts of Dathomir, I believe.  It wasn't the most accurate thing in the world, but I could try again, using Ghosts and Fully Operational as a reference.

For an update, because I'm finally able to do those again, we're currently at 186 days On the Boat.  That's in third place, behind Ghosts of Dathomir at 203, and Cyphers and Masks at 209.  Do keep in mind, though, that Rise entirely skipped the At the Printer stage of development, so it's possible that, looking at this as a raw timeline, we may need to wait that amount of  time, too.

If not, I would say we should start looking for the status to change around the beginning of the month, 04/03 to be precise.  If we do need to add in printing time... well, Ghosts of Dathomir also had the longest printing time of 74 days, so add another two-and-a-half months on to that.  Maybe the middle of June (probably the 19th).  And of course, that's for the status to change.  We'd still need to wait the two weeks for the book to ship to stores as well.

And she did lol