Absol197

Trends, Statistics, and Predictions!

Given the overall success level of the Star Wars RPG, I don't see FFG doing a total overhaul or effectively making it little more than a glorified Genesys skin.

I do agree that there's some elements that could use a bit of revision (starship combat could use some streamlining) and to account for the writers now having a better grasp on what sort of things the system can handle or not handle, as well as some additional clarity, and so a v1.5 or Revised version would be nice, not unlike WEG's 2e to 2eR&E for their d6 version.  But overall the core of the system does what the designers intended for it to do.

Case in point is Specializations.  Yes, there's a few folks whining about how they can't pick talents a la carte the way Genesys allows you to, but that's missing the point that Star Wars was written around the general idea of the PCs falling within general character archetypes that occur within that setting, much as the leads in the films do, and so a specialization helps a player build a character that falls within the boundaries of that archetype, whether it be to embrace it or subvert it.

In contrast, Genesys is intended to be generic (it's pretty much in the name), and thus employing specializations is silly because as a generic system there's far too many possible permutations of what sorts of settings will be employed to make specializations anything even close to being a viable notion.

1 minute ago, Gallandro said:

So LFL just announced at San Diego Coic Con that Clone Wars is returning with new episodes on Disney Direct (Disney’s upcoming streaming service).  You can pretty much guarantee we will get a Clone Wars era book announced at some point.

Well, a new Clone Wars series certainly adds weight to that, given a Clone Wars era book is something that's been requested a fair bit.

Granted, it depends on how long FFG intends to wait before releasing/working on said book, given that per Sam Stewart's comments on the matter, Lucasfilm doesn't share info on their yet-to-be released media.  For instance, Nexus of Power reviews Lothal as it was in Season One, in spite of the rather drastic changes that occurred over the course of Seasons 2 and 3, and Dawn of Rebellion not addressing details of the end of Season 3 or the start of Season 4 even though it was released after that point.

I'm guessing we'll see some era books, maybe some more adventures, locations, and the like.  Possibly they'll also start putting out some compilations, like Equipment books, ships, species, etc.  Once all that is starting to play out, then perhaps they'll start looking at a second edition.  As long as they have content and people are buying stuff, they'll probably keep producing.  Once sales start to taper, then it's time to roll out the next edition and try to build some excitement.

All that said, I wouldn't mind a revisit to some of the early books.  Some of the talent trees in the Edge core book and some early supplements are pretty lackluster.  They really got good at designing talents and trees a year or two into development.  

55 minutes ago, Split Light said:

Possibly they'll also start putting out some compilations, like Equipment books, ships, species, etc. 

I want this so badly!   I just want to lose myself for hours in a book of ships....

Edited by wobbly

8 minutes ago, salamar_dree said:

@Donovan Morningfire

I'm pretty sure they do. Not certain, mind you (as I have 1st printings), but I think the Devs have mentioned that when guest starring on the Order 66 Podcast (not that I listen).

There is, at least, a revised printing of Age of Rebellion that gives us the errata-provided corrections on the Sentinel-class Landing Craft. I do not know about the other two Cores, and I'm pretty confident none of the sourcebooks or adventures have errata in the reprints.

First week of August is GenCon, and as a result a lot of FFG's focus is going to be there since that's pretty much the RPG industry's major trade show.  So it's likely skeleton crew back at the home offices, as well as folks taking vacation time since the main company focus is in Indianapolis during that time.

Plus, pushing it back a couple weeks means that FFG will have the option to put the book up for sale at GenCon to allow those folks who've sacrificed their time and especially money to be at GenCon will have a chance to "get it first" much as I'm sure will be the case with the upcoming L5R RPG core rulebook and/or Beginner Box.

2 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

But if it’s shipping now, that would mean they’re expecting distributors or stores to sit on product for two weeks.

That's what I was thinking. I can't see retailers sitting on it for that long.

My gut says we'll probably see it on flgs shelves by the second

Just a quick update on the status of Northern Europe... 30th anniversary edition just arrived.

(Well, I say arrived, but I haven't gotten it yet because apparently it was on back-order for so long that I got an email from the store asking if I still wanted the product :P )

Even if the book arrives to retailers ahead of the new release date (in line with the old release date) they won't be able to sell it before the 16th. My FLGS regularly has the books in 3 or 4 days early...but can't sell them due to the street dating. 

2 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

I'm sure that this is a clever pun that's going over my head... can you explain it?  What's supposedly legal at illumination?

Finding new paths to enlightenment.  Be one with the Force and whatnot. 

So... just looked and there's only 4 products on the roleplaying side that are upcoming (cyphers and masks included) and that's undeniably a bit worrying.

Not just the Star Wars line, but the entire RPG line of FFG currenty has only 4 products in the upcoming lineup...

I'm hoping for a slew of new announcements during the convention.

Considering they are looking for a buyer, you would think that they would want to be putting more product out and show profitability. Perhaps the line isn't that profitable. Just releasing to keep the contract at this point?