Absol197

Trends, Statistics, and Predictions!

2 hours ago, Daeglan said:

Seems more like he is retiring. That is not a bad sign. Especially if that other firm is buying Asmodee. It would mean he is basically cashing out.

What matters is who is taking over and are they any good?

To be clear, Asmodee own FFG, and Asmodee are owned by Eurazeo. Eurazeo are selling Asmodee for x reasons, most likely increased liquidity for future investments, and Asmodee's in a particularly good position for sale given its performance and expansion over the past 4 years. Eurazeo are a roughly $7 billion private equity firm. Eurazeo own just under 60% of Asmodee, and the company is valued at around $1.4 billion for the sale to PAI, who are valued at about $16 billion. Eurazeo will make about a billion in profit over their ownership of Asmodee, so they're definitely happy, and PAI will be expecting to similarly make a return on their investment.

In essence, unless there's something seriously wrong inside Asmodee that hasn't come to light, or PAI decide on some Hasbroesque cutbacks (which they don't have an extensive history of doing), there shouldn't be any significant change for Asmodee. PAI's stated intention is:

PAI intends to support the current management team in its plans to grow the business further through international expansion both organically and by acquisition.

Also:

Gaëlle d'Engremont, Partner at PAI Partners, commented: “Asmodee represents a unique opportunity to invest in a fast-growing platform within the gaming industry, as part of PAI’s strategy to invest in attractive consumer goods industries. Stéphane and his team have an unparalleled track record in driving profitable growth both organically and through acquisitions, and we are delighted that they have chosen to partner with us. We are excited by the company’s growth prospects, which include further developing Asmodee’s position in the core hobby gaming market and successfully diversifying the group’s main brands onto other platforms. We look forward to working together to deliver on our ambitious objectives.”

PAI Europe VII is a fund intended to purchase shares or outright ownership in companies, to then realise a return for the investors within, typically 2-7 years, so they're expecting Asmodee to expand and increase revenue in that time. The last thing they'd want would be to lose the Star Wars license, albeit if RPGs aren't making enough of a profit they could be dropped, though it's such a tiny part of the overall size of FFG, which itself a signficant but still minority part of Asmodee that it's unlikely to be a priority or cost-saving focus in the short term.

Obviously the total lack of communication from FFG on upcoming products is less than encouraging, but it's also entirely typical given their total lack of communication on the assorted delays and issues with the lines over the past couple of years.

Edited by Evilref

So during the Q&A session at the FFG panel at GenCon they announced the line would have some forthcoming announcements, and they will mainly be focusing on era and region books for the line going forward.  They really pushed Clone Wars for X-Wing and Legion, and hinted at an Armada release too. So I think it's pretty safe to say we will be getting a Clone Wars era guide down the road. 

Edited by Gallandro

So they announced that they were going to announce some announcements? Seems legit.

While I look forward to new books, whether they be era, region, adventure or something different, until they actually announce them it's all just talk and vapourware to me.

Edited by warchild1x

"Era and region"

Music to my ears. This is what the line needs more of, in terms of fleshing out.

Lets just hope those announcements come soon. I've been kind of not expecting anything until the tangle of massive book delays over the last year+ is officially behind us.

37 minutes ago, Scott McFarland said:

So despite there being no new SW RPG products on the horizon they used the biggest marketing stage of the year to reveal... no new SW RPG products?

There was a similar non-showing for DH2 int the time before it was declared dead.

1 hour ago, Scott McFarland said:

So despite there being no new SW RPG products on the horizon they used the biggest marketing stage of the year to reveal... no new SW RPG products?

RPGs are a tiny business.  With limited time available I can see them focusing on the minis and board games,  they make more money in general.

Though I have no idea about FFGs specific sales numbers,  just talking trends here.

2 hours ago, Stan Fresh said:

RPGs are a tiny business.  With limited time available I can see them focusing on the minis and board games,  they make more money in general.

Though I have no idea about FFGs specific sales numbers,  just talking trends here.

True, but they announced Emerald Empire, a LOTFR Rokugan book...

15 minutes ago, Scott McFarland said:

True, but they announced Emerald Empire, a LOTFR Rokugan book...

Announcing the first supplement for their latest RPG offering (as opposed to announcing upcoming supplements for an established line) isn’t terribly surprising or alarming.

1 hour ago, Nytwyng said:

Announcing the first supplement for their latest RPG offering (as opposed to announcing upcoming supplements for an established line) isn’t terribly surprising or alarming.

Indeed, though I suspect there are more Star Wars fans than LOTFR fans, excited as I am to see the latter game. ?

2 minutes ago, Scott McFarland said:

Indeed, though I suspect there are more Star Wars fans than LOTFR fans, excited as I am to see the latter game. ?

But the Star Wars fans know their game exists.  L5R fans (which are very devoted in my experience) may not have heard about the new edition yet.

3 hours ago, Scott McFarland said:

The communities I am in are aware of it.  Reaction has been mixed.

RPGs aren't going anywhere in FFGs world:

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/41009/top-5-roleplaying-games-spring-2018

Both Star Wars and Genesys were among the Top 5 selling RPGs last quarter. Tabletop RPGs have actually been increasing their market share over the past year.  While the market is certainly much smaller than board games or miniatures, it is growing.  For example, in 2013 all RPGs accounted for about $13 million a year; today that number is $55 million, and a $10 million increase from $45 million in 2017:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?5476-NA-Hobby-Games-Market-Increases-To-1-55M-D-D-Remains-On-Top

Edited by Gallandro

7 minutes ago, Gallandro said:

RPGs aren't going anywhere in FFGs world:

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/41009/top-5-roleplaying-games-spring-2018

Both Star Wars and Genesys were among the Top 5 selling RPGs last quarter. Tabletop RPGs have actually been increasing their market share over the past year.  While the market is certainly much smaller than board games or miniatures, it is growing.  For example, in 2013 all RPGs accounted for about $13 million a year; today that number is $55 million, an increase from $45 million last year:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?5476-NA-Hobby-Games-Market-Increases-To-1-55M-D-D-Remains-On-Top

Personally, I'd rather see D&D at the bottom of the bottom 100 RPGs. 

Well, I called my two disreputable FLGS, the ones that go "Street date? Pfff! F that!" and came up dry both times. One said that it wasn't even in their system yet. So it looks like the books are still in route.

1 minute ago, Desslok said:

Well, I called my two disreputable FLGS, the ones that go "Street date? Pfff! F that!" and came up dry both times. One said that it wasn't even in their system yet. So it looks like the books are still in route.

I talked to my reputable flgs last week before GenCon and was told they were expecting it Thurs the 16th as scheduled.

It's the dark times beyond the 16th that scares me. Wonder how long we will go without a product in the (visible) pipeline.

54 minutes ago, warchild1x said:

I talked to my reputable flgs last week before GenCon and was told they were expecting it Thurs the 16th as scheduled.

It's the dark times beyond the 16th that scares me. Wonder how long we will go without a product in the (visible) pipeline.

On that, I have no data.  We're already well past the longest between-announcement wait time that has ever been.  And this is including the record-breaking wait before Knights of Fate was announced. 

My seeing numbers have grown dark :( .  I am sorry, my friends...

EDIT:  On a happier (and personal) note, I did just get back from a long weekend at a family reunion, getting to see my relatives from Germany Shili that I haven't seen in ten years :) .

Edited by Absol197

Also, more awesome news from GenCon!  It's not Star Wars related, but we all knew that, and this is my thread so I can gush about this this once ? .

My favorite (or tied for favorite) board game is getting a digital version! Spirit Island!  Woo!!!  It's just announced so obviously no images of the digital version yet, but I am so excite! 

20 hours ago, Absol197 said:

My favorite (or tied for favorite) board game is getting a digital version! Spirit Island!  Woo!!

What is it tied with?  I'm just starting to explore board games.  Sorry if this is too much off topic. 

8 hours ago, Alisair Longreach said:

This may be heretical but my favorite 4X space game is Star Trek: Ascendancy.

Another sci-fi board game I love is Terraforming Mars with all expansions.

I think both are heretical!  But it's okay, you can stick around :) .

Although more amazing Spirit Island news!  The second expansion is nearing completion, and they released the rules for two of the new spirits!  Woo!  Time to mock up a copy for myself so my group can try 'em!

...Just so you all know, I'm as obsessed with Spirit Island as I am with Mystics.  As a point of reference.

Edited by Absol197