Sign in to follow this  
TalonbaneCobra

Mist Hunter/G-1A Starfighter Builds

I've only recently got into X Wing (Only played a handful of games) and have recently purchased the Mist Hunter Expansion to add to my rapidly growing Scum force.

A lot of the reviews for this ship that I have seen when it was first released claim it to be mediocre, and I was wondering if this has changed since it's had some time to hit the table?

I am looking to include one in 100pt Squad Lists but have been unable to finalise a build for it.

There are some upgrades, like Advanced Sensors/PTL or FCS, Stay on Target and Intelligence agent which scream out to me, but that makes the ship costly very quick.

What, if any, are some perfectly viable/sound builds for the Mist Hunter? I was more looking at ones around the 30-35 point mark.

Sadly, Meta isn't looking good for plain High-Hp-low-Agility ships.

You lose to Aces due to game design (repositioning post move) 

You lose to Ordnance because You have no chance to block it and avoid it, and you can't drag game because you lose 1 ship in the opening salvo.

And lastly, you die to Turrets because TLT eats 1-agility ships alive and PWTs are as elusive as Aces.

Let's just say, S&V is simply 6 waves late for the party. The glory times of B-wings and Biggz are long-time history.

Mist hunter, as an expansion is great, bceause it's Crew are god-sent, and make YV-666 a great asset.

I've been having fun with the following; sometimes I switch PTL/Pred between Zuckuss and 4-LOM and haven't really decided how I like one or the other... mainly I just like the idea of all three ships filled with the frustrated chattering of Jawas.

4-LOM (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Outlaw Tech (2)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Tractor Beam (1)
Mist Hunter (0)

Zuckuss (28)
Predator (3)
Outlaw Tech (2)
Advanced Sensors (3)

Palob Godalhi (20)
Predator (3)
Dorsal Turret (3)
Outlaw Tech (2)

Total: 100

I've had some success with 4-LOM with Adv. Sensors, Stay on Target, Outlaw Tech, Mist Hunter as a good generic hunter.  Should be able to end up with a TL & Focus on the turns where it counts to hit your target with maximum shots.

Zuckuss with VI & Dengar is a great Ace counter.  That extra attack - even with your opponent rolling an extra evade - makes all the difference.

I have enjoyed a Zuckuss+VI+Dengar+Sensor Jammer along with Palob+VI+Dorsal+Engine Upgrade (it IS awesome)+Intel Agent and some other ship. Talonbane didn't work for me but Contacted Scout or Manaroo does. Considering for GenCon... But probably save for Hanger Bay if I play.

Sensor Jammer works great with Palob and that Engine gets him turned around OR blocks for higher pilots. Zuckuss works great when enemy had no focus.

Edited by rilesman

While low agility ships are at a risk in the new meta, the trick is to couple them with high threat targets. Don't let warpman rattle you up!

The list with Zuckuss + 2x scouts have been quite popular and successful.

I've also seen it used to great effect teamed up with Palob + an YV-666.

Zuckuss with VI & Dengar is a great Ace counter.  That extra attack - even with your opponent rolling an extra evade - makes all the difference.

This.  That Zuckuss build has been my MVP in every game I've flow him in.  He hits like a truck and really worries aces thanks to Dengar, who's giving him solid dice modification right from the first turn.

A friend of mine swears by Zuckuss, VI, FCS, Outlaw Tech, which also has a lot going for it. :)

I've also flown a Gand Findsman with Juke and Dengar, which is a pretty good 30 points.  Evade every turn and you're quite tanky, while still having a good offence.

My friend uses Zuckuss, vi, advanced sensors, title and Dengar ...

I've enjoyed 4.Lom with advanced sensors and rage ... adv sensors, rage, green move to remove one stress and hope to end up at range one of an enemy to pass off the other stress

I use 4-LOM with only Attanni Mindlink. Mindlink him with another ship that can self stress (Using Zuckuss or Overclocked) and Manaroo, and you have 28 points of pure win. People tend to ignore him over the bigger threats, but once 4-LOM closes the distance he hits HARD, especially since you will almost always have a focus/lock.The stress he passes can be game changing, too.

Edited by Bonza

- Zuckuss: mindlink, Dengar, sensor jammer, title and tractor beam

- Black sun ace: mindlink

- Palob: TLT, mindlink

- Plain Z-95.

Oh and asteroids... lots of very large asteroids.

With this config, Zuckuss always enters the alpha strike with a focus and evade on top of sensor jammer (which overall is not half bad).  If the enemy uses his focus to counter sensor jammer then his ability works even better.  The longer he stays alive, the more damage he causes.

Meanwhile, the black sun ace can also do a lot of damage (having target lock and focus is easy with mindlink) and Palob messes around with other people's tokens while unleashing his TLT.  All three of them are therefore high priority targets, but Zuckuss takes the longest time to kill.

And the Z-95?  Well, a blocker can sometimes turn the tide if played well.  That and any damage he takes is one less damage that the other important ships need to worry about.

No garantees against tripple jumpmasters, but aces overflow in my meta and Zuckuss has destroyed more than one of them with a single burst of concentrated firepower.

Edited by dotswarlock

I've been having fun with Guri, Gand Findsman, and Latts lists.  They are all fives and cause all sorts of trouble.  Latts with a HLC to go along with the Gand's Tractor Beam makes for a fun combo of double agility reducing pain!

Gand+Juke+Mist Hunter+Tractor Beam

Latts+HLC

Guri+LW

or (and possibly the better list)

Guri+Predator

Latts+HLC+K4

Tansarii Vet+Juke+title+Tractor Beam

This leaves you with two points to further improve Guri or Latts.  Yes I know, the second list does not have a G-1A in it...  

No garantees against tripple jumpmasters, but aces overflow in my meta and Zuckuss has destroyed more than one of them with a single burst of concentrated firepower.

I quite like your list, looks well balanced. I'll give it a try sometime. Vs Jumpmasters you have a blocker and Palob, potentially preventing 2 jumpmasters from firing each turn. You have a good chance of throwing 11 or so red dice at tokenless jumpmaster, too, so you might bring one down or cripple it in the first engagement.

I quite like your list, looks well balanced. I'll give it a try sometime. Vs Jumpmasters you have a blocker and Palob, potentially preventing 2 jumpmasters from firing each turn. You have a good chance of throwing 11 or so red dice at tokenless jumpmaster, too, so you might bring one down or cripple it in the first engagement.

The big asteroids is the key; you need to place them so that they prevent other asteroids from being placed in the corner.  That way, you have a nicely cluttered map, which makes arc dodging harder for aces.  This either gives Zuckuss his shot despite the fact that he's PS 7 or the enemy needs to make a detour, which gives Palob some shots of his own without return fire.

The G1-A is an amazing little ship, and I think it was the most underrated aspect of Wave 8. It has access to some of the most aggressively costed upgrades in the game, with system, crew and illicit slots all having excellent choices at 1-2 points. The trick is picking between them, because loading up on them makes the ship too much of a target. My personal favorite is the generic Ruthless Freelancer with Zuckuss crew. Ultimately, the G1-A is a great platform for forcing your opponent to make tough decisions, and that's always a valuable addition to any list.

I like Zuckuss pilot with 4-LOM crew, and Attanni Mindlink. You could also put Fire Control System on there, but in my games, Zuckuss' super attack plus 4-LOM's ability to deny the use of a focus token meant Zuckuss took out every target he shot at. The synergy between Zuckuss and 4-LOM in both pilots and crew is really fun!

I've been thinking about 4 Freelancers with FCS. Against the torpscout matchup, an evade token saves you from being double-torped to death, and once the torpedos are spent, 2 reds with focus does only chip damage through evade.

It's got health to survive a crackswarm, and may be able to survive palpaces with raw bulk.

You want high PS, because you WILL melt with 1 agi so you want to shoot before you die

So Vi Zuckus

You want dengar because he's amazing and, unlike FCS, immediate

The title is nifty. Even if you fire tbeams like once a game, they can be game winning. Also broll and tbeaming enemies onto rocks are really your only defensive options on that ship

Edited by ficklegreendice

You want high PS, because you WILL melt with 1 agi so you want to shoot before you die

So Vi Zuckus

You want dengar because he's amazing and, unlike FCS, immediate

The title is nifty. Even if you fire tbeams like once a game, they can be game winning. Also broll and tbeaming enemies onto rocks are really your only defensive options on that ship

The Evade action is just enough to push the G1A from being 2 shot by torp scouts to surviving 2 torpedos 100% of the time. Since R4s are no longer standard equipment for post-torpedo fighting, I want to revisit HP-tankng.

Zuckuss — G-1A Starfighter28

Veteran Instincts1

Gunner5

Fire-Control System2

Tractor Beam1

Mist Hunter0

Ship Total: 37 

I've had limited success with this build.  Tends to force guys to let some damage through to avoid gunner, but can punish when my dice go south and the hit or two (out of five) is dodged.  I'd like to try some of the Dengar builds and see how they work out though!

I've gotta say Super Zuckuss is still my favorite list. (Sorry to bore those of you who have seen this half a dozen times already.) Zuckuss is throwing 5-6 dice with full modifiers while Latts and Serissu take down the target's agility.

Zuckuss (28)
-Expose (4)

-K4 Security Droid (3)

-Advanced Sensors (3)

-Experimental Interface (3)

Latts Razzi (33)
-K4 Security Droid (3)

Serissu (20)
-“Heavy Scyk” Interceptor (2)

-Tractor beam (1)

I'm playing with this at the moment:

Zuckuss

Veteran Instincts

Advanced Sensors

Dengar

Mist Hunter

Tractor Beam

Glitterstim

4-LOM

Outlaw Tech

Glitterstim

Advanced Sensors

Predator

Binarye Pirate x2

OK it's not amazing but it's so much fun! The G-1As always have re-rolls, they can always perform actions before moving, 4-LOM has great control over his ability plus the 2 blockers are awesome.

I love when 4-LOM goes:

Evade

Red Move

free Focus

Stress

Shoot at Range 1 with Focus and 1-2 Re-rolls

pass on Stress

???

Profit!  :D  :D  :D

I'm planning to run a list like this:

G-1A Starfighter: · 4-LOM (27)
Crack Shot (1)
Electronic Baffle (1)
· Zuckuss (1)
· Mist Hunter (0)
Glitterstim (2)
Tractor Beam (1)

G-1A Starfighter: Gand Findsman (25)
Crack Shot (1)

Crack Shot (1)

Z-95 Headhunter: Binayre Pirate (12)
Inertial Dampeners (1)

-- TOTAL ------- 98/100p. --

Would this be any good?

I'm planning to run a list like this:

G-1A Starfighter: · 4-LOM (27)
Crack Shot (1)
Electronic Baffle (1)
· Zuckuss (1)
· Mist Hunter (0)
Glitterstim (2)
Tractor Beam (1)

Crack Shot (1)

Crack Shot (1)

Z-95 Headhunter: Binayre Pirate (12)
Inertial Dampeners (1)

-- TOTAL ------- 98/100p. --

Would this be any good?

Looks like fun, give it a shot. One thing I would recommend is trying to fit Outlaw Techs on the G-1As. They have so many Red moves that it's worth it.