Sign in to follow this  
Rytackle

My Gift to the X-Wing Community: Starkiller Base Play Mat

gotta love the JJ lense flare you included :P

do think the mat would've been better off without it though

inspiring work nonetheless

Honestly, the sun is there because that corner edge of the planet looks like ass and I couldn't figure out a good way to make it look better with the elements I had.  Thus GIANT SUN FOR EVERYONE!

gotta love the JJ lense flare you included :P

do think the mat would've been better off without it though

inspiring work nonetheless

Honestly, the sun is there because that corner edge of the planet looks like ass and I couldn't figure out a good way to make it look better with the elements I had.  Thus GIANT SUN FOR EVERYONE!

can't help but respect practical solutions ;)

It got even the JJ style.

No need to insult him he's clearly worked hard on this.

Now you insulting him. A for effort is nothing anybody wants to hear about his work.

He shows the whole mat design without the jj style as well. He must like it that way. Which is fine. 

It got even the JJ style.

No need to insult him he's clearly worked hard on this.

Now you insulting him. A for effort is nothing anybody wants to hear about his work.

He shows the whole mat design without the jj style as well. He must like it that way. Which is fine.

I said earlier, that if you see it without the flare the edge of the planet doesn't look quite right. I couldn't figure out the correct angle/geometry to make it look good with the assets I had. It doesn't show it but I had to do ALOT of fudging and cheating to make some of this stuff look good. I couldn't just steal movie still because the quality wasn't high enough. Also, the front of the planet and the areas where the death beam come out look like light is being diffused in front of them. So, without the sun or some kind of light source Starkiller Base just doesn't look quite right. I wish I could've done without the huge flare, but I'm just not a good enough artist to do it. I'm mainly just a 2D compositor (that's a huge part of my day job [After Effects FTW]). I take a whole bunch of existing elements and stitch them together until they look kind of real.

Sorry if it's a bit offputting!

Thanks for the link Ryan! I've been thinking of doing a mat too but haven't found a place I trust. Will use them for when I finish mine. Here's my idea https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B37gfmlmuzFGNWlvQ2g2UTNxTUk/view?usp=sharing

I'm not that great with photoshop or anything to make it special. Anyone want to give it a shot and spice it up a little?