Sign in to follow this  
Zipper12

How to play the Tie Defender

It has gotten to that point, where my Corran Horn is getting a bit old and I want to take a break from him. So I've decided to focus on the Tie Defender which conjures up a problem. I don't know, nor know anybody who has used the Tie Defender to a good standard and was just wondering if you wonderful people could help me out on what to take. Just to put it straight I would like the Defender to be the hard hitter, I'm open to 2 Tie Defenders as well, but I don't think I'll enjoy having 3 but, if you have an idea on how to use 3, then by all means go for it.

Thanks in advance,

A new Imperial lapdog

Edited by Zipper12

hi i have been trying vessery (ion cannon, ruthlessness, title)                                                                                                                                                                                                                 ryad or glaive (ion cannon ruthlessness and title)                                                                                                                                                                                                               backstabber or wampa (targeting computer)

If you want just one it really should stick to x7 title. And piloted by ryad or vessery. Make ace-ish ship out of it.

If you wanna fly 2 of them you either pair up two from above or 2 generics: either Glaives with Juke and X7 or just any generics with ion/tractor and Tie/D.

For a hard hitter you can't get much better than Vessery with the TIE/D title and an ion cannon backed up by at least one (preferably two) ships who can grab target locks for him. Crack shot would be the EPT to go for in that case.

However, in my experience the TIE/D dies very quickly simply because it's such an obvious threat and the x7 title is the one to go for. Also, unless you're Vessery, you'll need Predator to get the most out of the TIE/D title otherwise one of your shots will be unmodified which is a lot less scary.

I like Ryad with Push the Limit, TIE MarkII Engines and x7 or Vessery with x7 and Juke. You can even pair the two of them up as a PTL Ryad usually spends an action on a target lock, which helps out Vessery. In genearl, if you're flying Defenders and one of them isn't Vessery you'll have to have a very good reason why.

If you were to fly 3 you'll probably have to give them all the x7 title in order to afford them. A Delta, Ryad and Vessery works well, or Glaive, Vessery, Maarek all at PS7. Defenders with the x7 title are very hard to kill since they almost always get Focus/Evade every round. Don't be afraid to spend the tokens to stay alive even if it harms your offence. Int he long run you'll get enough damage through provided you stay on the table.

I have a list I'll be practicing with soon enough:

Col. Vess. 40pts

-tie/d

-ion cannon

-twin ion engine mk. II

-Veteran instincts

Omega Leader 29

-comm relay

-stealth device

-juke

The Inquisitor 31

-tie/v1

-autothrusters

-push the limit

Everybody is at ps 8. If you want an intiative bid, drop stealth device on omega. All ships can target lock and for the inquisitor and omega leader it is a real advantage to do so. Vess shoots first with target locks for both shots because his wingmen should have painted a target. All of these ships are ridiculously threatening so your opponent should have a hard time picking a target.

Some tips based on recent experience:

• x/7 title gives you the most action economy - always focus/evade, good for defense and offence - taking target locks not worth it so much
  • for what you get, the Glaive at PS6 with Juke, x/7 title and Mk II engine is a superb ship. Tanky as hell, punches with weight and very survivable against higher PS aces
  • use your speed to advantage
  • jousting is OK in many circumstance, except against too much ordinance
  • two defenders in your list is very, very potent - I'd go so far as to say they shine all the more with two in the list
  • Juke is just that good as an EPT, it's my fav
  • if you don't go x/7 then Deltas are cheap, nasty and worth it with the Tie/D + Ion
  • speaking of Delta's surprisingly good blockers
  • I prefer Vessary with x/7 over Tie/D - he's too fragile and an automatic target. You can really take advantage of his ability paired with another ship like OML or The Inquisitor
  • Ryad is great, but she has a big target painted on her.... be careful with her, getting her caught up in a furball get's her killed - she's not a blocker
  • The Defenders favorite playmates include Tie Adv. Prot (Inq or Valen), Omega Leader or a Tie Shuttle support ship. In regards to the later I like Tomax Bren with Fleet Officer, Lightning Reflexes and other variations of support upgrades. 

About movements:

• the hard 3 turn is great for getting evade and positioning, use it far more than the 4k turn tbh
  • k-turns make the enemy double guess themselves, try and use that to your advantage
  • a 4k-turn or a 3 hard turn followed by a barrel roll can be a thing of beauty for getting behind and then getting into R1 behind someone. Not just on Ryad, it's one of my fav moves
  • the Defender likes to use a lot of the board, it's not a knife fighter - strafe, hit and run to re-position and use the 3.4.5 to max effect. I rarely use a 1 or 2 movement

And always fly the red defenders. They go faster.  

Edited by Imperial Mike

This is what I'll be bringing to a local store tournament this coming Saturday:

Glaive Squadron Pilot — TIE Defender 34 Juke 2 TIE/x7 -2 Ship Total: 34     Glaive Squadron Pilot — TIE Defender 34 Juke 2 TIE/x7 -2 Ship Total: 34     Carnor Jax — TIE Interceptor 26 Push the Limit 3 Autothrusters 2 Ship Total: 31  

Seems to me to be a fun list.  :)

This is what I'll be bringing to a local store tournament this coming Saturday:

Glaive Squadron Pilot — TIE Defender

Juke

TIE/x7

Ship Total: 34

Glaive Squadron Pilot — TIE Defender

Juke

TIE/x7

Ship Total: 34

Carnor Jax — TIE Interceptor

Push the Limit

Autothrusters

Ship Total: 31

Seems to me to be a fun list.  :)

I've had some success with that list myself, although I added mkII engines to Jax to help him move faster. Strategy wise I suggest x7 for the title and obviously you want to move fast, almost always move 3 or faster, and don't overuse the k-turn.

One game in with this squad, worked great, only loss 1 bomber. Will be putting more games in this week:

Vessery + Tie/D + Ion + Adaptability

OL + Juke + Comms

2x Tie Shuttle + Tactician

Lead out with bombers, to block any rushers, get stress on opponents, plus to line up TLs for Vessery. Three TLs for Vess to work with. Bombers giving a stress on an opponent means Vessery can kturn next turn and the opponent cant. Also, Omega Leader should be safe until Vessery is off the table which is nice. OL becomes stronger the fewer enemy ships are on the table.

Played against a Party Bus, Slaver with Gunner Bossk EU, and Ndru with Concussions.  Party bus 4-lom once, next turn Vess Ion'd it. It couldnt get a shot rest of game and quickly died. Best thing is, Vess Ion'd the party bus, then did a range 1 attack on the other slaver.

I put this list against a 4 A-Wing list lead by Tyco and didn't lose a ship. I didn't even need to use Crack Shot.

Vessery (40)

TIE/D

Ion (3)

Crack Shot (1)

Mk II (1)

Ryad (34)

TIE/x7

Juke (2)

OL (26)

Juke (2)

Comm Relay (3)

Edited by Maringue

Here is what I have been flying. It's got a PS 7, 8, and 9 and a 2pt. bid. I usually fly the defenders together and try to flank with the Inquisitor. I find the key to the x7 defenders is to plan ahead. You don't want to get yourself into a position where your 4k-turn and your 3 turns are blocked by obstacles or enemy ships. It takes some practice. But using their speed to your advantage is key. And don't forget to switch into blocking mode with the Countess if the opponent can easily dodge her arc. 

Maarek Stele (TIE Defender) (35)
Veteran Instincts (1)
TIE/x7 (-2)

Countess Ryad (34)
Veteran Instincts (1)
TIE/x7 (-2)

The Inquisitor (25)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)

Total: 98

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Here is what I have been flying. It's got a PS 7, 8, and 9 and a 2pt. bid. I usually fly the defenders together and try to flank with the Inquisitor. I find the key to the x7 defenders is to plan ahead. You don't want to get yourself into a position where your 4k-turn and your 3 turns are blocked by obstacles or enemy ships. It takes some practice. But using their speed to your advantage is key. And don't forget to switch into blocking mode with the Countess if the opponent can easily dodge her arc. 

Honestly, it's nice if your 4-K turn doesn't get blocked, but since it's white it's not that big of a deal if it does. And when running an x7 Defender, I've run a 3 speed turn knowing that I was going to hit another ship so that I could get the evade to power Juke and shoot at the ship behind the one I hit. That's the best part about the x7, you don't have to complete the maneuver to get the evade token.

But in general, Defenders are nasty jousters, so you should fly them as such. If you can sucker the opposing ship to joust you, you're probably going to win. Heads up, they're hard to push damage through with 3 evade dice and after you lay down your first shot, you just white K turn in behind them and you can Focus for the next shot, or have a focus AND evade to power Juke for the next shot.

With the new TIE/sf in mind, what do people think of this build in combination with Defenders?

"Quickdraw" - TIE/sf (32)
Special Ops Training
Rage
Electronic Baffle
TIE mk.II Engines

Glaive Squadron Pilot - TIE Defender (34)
TIE x7
Juke

Countess Ryad - TIE Defender (34)
TIE x7
Juke