Sign in to follow this  
patox

New Rogue One ship spotted

Lots of shouts of "X-Wing" in the filming footage of the sizzler trailer.

And this...

xwing.jpg

Looking at just this shot, the uniform and equipment look a lot tackier than in ANH. Which I would totally be behind if it was set at the start of the rebellion, before there was proper equipment or anything. But so close to the battle of Yavin, it's weird it doesn't match up.

I am going to assume it's a small rebel cell brought in to help get the plans off planet because it's all they had available.

It looks the same quality to me, and will to most audiences. Like, short of pulling up a ton of stills of both uniforms and comparing them, the only difference I can see is this one is grey not orange. Like I'm not trying to be argumentative but I'm not seeing how these look any tackier. 

I like the mega shuttle. I'm guessing its meant to be a stealth shuttle of some kind. In space you would be flying primarily by sensors first and visuals second, so its design maybe engineered to create a profile that baffles star wars sensors. or maybe its an experimental design. Dude is the director of experimental weapons research. Maybe its the star wars equivalent of the osprey; absolute crap but they spent so much money on it they keep trying to fly em around anyway. 

There's also the huge 4 winged shuttle/transport from the first trailer which I guess is a troop or material transport. 

Lots of shouts of "X-Wing" in the filming footage of the sizzler trailer.

And this...

xwing.jpg

Looking at just this shot, the uniform and equipment look a lot tackier than in ANH. Which I would totally be behind if it was set at the start of the rebellion, before there was proper equipment or anything. But so close to the battle of Yavin, it's weird it doesn't match up.

I am going to assume it's a small rebel cell brought in to help get the plans off planet because it's all they had available.

It looks the same quality to me, and will to most audiences. Like, short of pulling up a ton of stills of both uniforms and comparing them, the only difference I can see is this one is grey not orange. Like I'm not trying to be argumentative but I'm not seeing how these look any tackier. 

I'm thinking specifically of the vest piece. Maybe it just haven't looked closely at them in ANH.

I would like it to be orange though :P If they change it, my rebel pilot T-Shirt won't work any more and I'll have to stop playing X-wing!

Has anyone even see these on screen. They may just be concepts that are showing off early designs.. (We can only hope).. The Lambda shuttle was really pushing the limit of over-sized wings as it was. This thing looks like something from Stargate. Something that was rejected. Maybe we should start sending Disney Drawings. Just maybe they should stop trying to reinvent the wheel. Someone is setting in an office somewhere selling the idea that to make Stars Wars Cool that we have to make it something else.. Apparently Stargate from the looks of that hideous shuttlecraft. Any way complaining about it won't help. We need to unite in a way that will change minds and keep Stars Wars from becoming something else.

The wings on the shuttle is plain stupid.

There is no obvious reason to be designed with wings that are 10 times over sized.

I agree the wings are stupid, but they have a purpose..they are for Vader to rip off and throw at other ships.

That and for when the ship wishes to barrel roll and hit other ships its is flying next to. :P

Edited by knavelead

It's not just that this shuttle thing is ugly (and it is ugly as ****)

The thing just doesn't fit with other imperial designs, and it also looks so un-detailed with almost no greebling or anything. The rule of cool doesn't apply here because it isn't cool at all. It makes the Lambda and Upsilon shuttles look super practical and restrained.

Tie fighters are stupid looking, but they're cool, and have lots of little details. Interceptors and bombers especially.

X-wings are just straight up cool looking.

Lambda shuttles press the boundaries of the rule of cool, but ultimately win out.

Y-wings are ugly, but in that functional, beat up, military kind of way, so they're cool.

A-wings: cool

B-wings: again pushing the boundaries, but being designed by aliens and having lots of cool details like s-foils and the gyroscopic cockpit saves it. It's cool, but not pretty.

I am confused when people complain new ships in star wars are ugly. Almost all the original trillogy ships were ugly and had no realism in there designs just look that the tie fighter (without your nostalgia glasses on) it's ugly and stupid for a spaceship.

If you had made ships for the new movies sleak and pretty you same idiots would be screaming about how un-starwars they were or how they are "to much like the prequel ships"

As for this ship, star wars us all about giant wings and gawdy designs with stupid **** sticking out for no reason. I like it!

A TIE Fighter is ugly and stupid for a space ship? Why?

If you want to add a touch of realism, there is a purpose to wings in space. See, when a ship wants to turn or rotate, it needs to apply some kind of rotational force. And the further that force is applied from the center of gravity of the ship, the more effective it is at rotating the ship. There's the argument that a wing would increase a ships moment of inertia, but I'm just assuming that people who've master faster than light space travel can come up with some strong, light weight composite materials. Second, those big dumb looking panels on a TIE Fighter have from day one been known to be solar panels. Because the TIE Fighter is made to be cheap and light, the solar panels supplement the undersized power supply of the ship. So they are actually kind of an elegant solution to bolster the power supply and to create an increased radius for rotational maneuvering thrusters. Two birds with one stone.

I feel like the new ships suffer from "It's gotta be different" syndrome. 

I am confused when people complain new ships in star wars are ugly. Almost all the original trillogy ships were ugly and had no realism in there designs just look that the tie fighter (without your nostalgia glasses on) it's ugly and stupid for a spaceship.

If you had made ships for the new movies sleak and pretty you same idiots would be screaming about how un-starwars they were or how they are "to much like the prequel ships"

As for this ship, star wars us all about giant wings and gawdy designs with stupid **** sticking out for no reason. I like it!

If you want to add a touch of realism, there is a purpose to wings in space. See, when a ship wants to turn or rotate, it needs to apply some kind of rotational force. And the further that force is applied from the center of gravity of the ship, the more effective it is at rotating the ship. There's the argument that a wing would increase a ships moment of inertia, but I'm just assuming that people who've master faster than light space travel can come up with some strong, light weight composite materials. Second, those big dumb looking panels on a TIE Fighter have from day one been known to be solar panels. Because the TIE Fighter is made to be cheap and light, the solar panels supplement the undersized power supply of the ship. So they are actually kind of an elegant solution to bolster the power supply and to create an increased radius for rotational maneuvering thrusters. Two birds with one stone.

holy crap someone besides me actually said this!

the TIE ships all make sense. Majority of the rebel ships and larger imperial ships do not.

So, we have boxy, unappealing ships like this, and people claim that the Lancer frigates and Dreadnaught cruisers are too plain to include in the new canon?

Lancer is canon, it appeared in the Tarkin novel.

But maybe it looks different.

When Zahn was talking about bringing back Thrawn there was a huge Dreadnaught model behind him, I think he might try to smuggle that thing back into the canon in similar fashion.

Edited by eMeM

Looking at it myself, I think it is much larger than a lambda.  The angles of the hull also give a clue as to it's function. This is an assault landing craft designed to make a beachhead strong point.  The angles of the hull are to deflect shots directed at it, and the wings probably fold to form walls for forces to shelter behind.  The underside of the hull looks to be an egress point once it is landed. Depending on the final scale of the thing it could allow something as small as a speeder bike out, or something as large as a walker (the empire likes things big),  We could call it Thrawn's instant fortress!

Canonically, the thrusters aren't in the wings, but are instead on the ball-part of the TIE (and canonically, there are only two - thus "Twin Ion Engine"). As a result, having the large wings further out from the position of the thrusters should make it harder to change directions - angular acceleration has a harder time fighting the angular momentum when the thrusters are close-in and the wings further out like that.

If you want an example of this, take a broom and stand outside in a large field. Hold the broom up by one end, parallel to the ground. Start turning around in place. Once you get up to speed, try to stop turning. If you built up a decent amount of speed, you're likely to have the broom fly out of your hands, or at least make you turn farther than you planned. That's what the TIE's thrusters are attempting to do in every dogfight.

In other words, while it can be fun to pick at the physics, Star Wars is simply too unrealistic to worry about it too much!

for some reason i feel like this thing should be edge highlighted glowing neon colors and there should be 80s synth playing

guess im going to have to learn how to paint + mod in speakers

Get it to play that Jefferson Starship song from the Holiday Special!  It absolutely enthralled that Imperial troopers, somehow, so maybe it would distract your opponents during a game!

Even if it doesn't, simply being reminded of the Holiday Special ought to be enough to irritate them and cause them to make all sorts of mistakes!

for some reason i feel like this thing should be edge highlighted glowing neon colors and there should be 80s synth playing

guess im going to have to learn how to paint + mod in speakers

Get it to play that Jefferson Starship song from the Holiday Special!  It absolutely enthralled that Imperial troopers, somehow, so maybe it would distract your opponents during a game!

Even if it doesn't, simply being reminded of the Holiday Special ought to be enough to irritate them and cause them to make all sorts of mistakes!

no. this ship is armed only with a powerful aestheticand probably a heavy laser cannon so its soundtrack needs to match

Canonically, the thrusters aren't in the wings, but are instead on the ball-part of the TIE (and canonically, there are only two - thus "Twin Ion Engine"). As a result, having the large wings further out from the position of the thrusters should make it harder to change directions - angular acceleration has a harder time fighting the angular momentum when the thrusters are close-in and the wings further out like that.

If you want an example of this, take a broom and stand outside in a large field. Hold the broom up by one end, parallel to the ground. Start turning around in place. Once you get up to speed, try to stop turning. If you built up a decent amount of speed, you're likely to have the broom fly out of your hands, or at least make you turn farther than you planned. That's what the TIE's thrusters are attempting to do in every dogfight.

In other words, while it can be fun to pick at the physics, Star Wars is simply too unrealistic to worry about it too much!

Engines are different and separate from maneuvering thrusters. And in a space environment, some kind of maneuvering thrusters would be mandatory in order to apply turning force. In atmosphere, that force is created by air deflection, but that doesn't exist in a vacuum. Also, this is coming from the same part of my brain that literally almost shouted "TIE Fighters are not atmosphere capable DAMNIT!!!!!!" in the movie theater.

Honestly, the only show that ever really got zero-G space fighter combat even close to right was Babylon 5. They showed how a K-turn actually should work. Cut main engines, use thrusters to reorient 180 degrees while still drifting forward, then re-engage engines. 

Judging by the viewport size, it seems to be a huge size.

Would be cool if that slot at the bottom was for airlifting AT-ATs and the wings were that large so that the shuttle's deflector shields could be extended around the carried AT-AT to protect it during combat drops.

But something sadly tells me it's just got huge freaking wings for no good reason...

Looking at it myself, I think it is much larger than a lambda.  The angles of the hull also give a clue as to it's function. This is an assault landing craft designed to make a beachhead strong point.  The angles of the hull are to deflect shots directed at it, and the wings probably fold to form walls for forces to shelter behind.  The underside of the hull looks to be an egress point once it is landed. Depending on the final scale of the thing it could allow something as small as a speeder bike out, or something as large as a walker (the empire likes things big),  We could call it Thrawn's instant fortress!

Agreed.

I think this is supposed to be the NuCanon version of the Theta-class AT-AT barge

I don't know where all the hate for the Lambda shuttle is coming from. I always thought it looked awesome, even if I agree that those wings are impractical and only really serve cinematic purpose. I think the Lucasfilm Story Group has bought into the notion that SW vessels have wings as heat radiators, the way that Dr. Saxton speculates they are (e.g. here and here), and as long as they have that rationale, I'd rather they stick to it.

I will say, having done a lot of measurement of imagery, and tons of other material, there's no way that this thing could fit into the main hangar bay of an ISD. Even the Theta, if it can hold a legs-collapsed AT-AT, and therefore needs to be large enough to do so, can barely fit into the hangar bay. A Lambda shuttle certainly cannot, and we see it also coming out of the secondary hangar in RotJ, which I suppose has to be much deeper than the main hangar.

Maybe the designers of this shuttle did not think it through, if indeed, it is what we expect it to be: an AT-AT barge.

Well, it's prettier than the Gunboat; huehuehuehuehuehue.

Just kidding. Looks like it was made out of aluminium in a scrapyard.

If the game ever gets a Disney series shuttle, I'd rather see the Upsilon Class than this.