Sign in to follow this  
X Wing Nut

FINAL SALVO!!!

In our gaming group we always play by the latest tournament rules even in our casual games the only rule we don't follow is timed matches. If the game is fun and close it doesn't matter if it goes for a long time as long as we are having fun 

in a game I played last night it was a fast game that went back and forth the whole time, I wished I'd set up the camera. not just for the game but also the ending

Horton with ABT and 2 Hull vs Wes with 1 Hull Horton fired ABT rolled 1 hit dead then the returnee fire 2 hits and Horton blanks Mutual Destruction!

Screams of FINAL SALVO echoed through the store I had 8 dice to roll my opponent had 7  

I rolled 2 hits 2 crits I was not feeling confident

then my Opponent rolled 2 hits 2 crits

Draw again :lol:

FINAL SALVO rang loud through the store again echoed by fellow X Wing players who were as excited to see the new rule play out. along with angry stares in our direction from the D&D players for interrupting there make believe world  :P

The second roll found me 1 hit short :(

later that night we looked at the clock and it was just past time where it was 2 late to start another game so we once again screamed out FINAL SALVO using the same dice number as before

and we both rolled 2 hits and 1 crit

Draw again WOW

then the second roll I got 1 hit more then him. my first win for the night :D

It was fun using the new rule letting the dice decide the winner at the end of the match but after everything that had happened if it was a tournament I don't think I would have found it as much fun. it is kind of a wired way to determine the winner of a match. but it is still much better then having draws in the game

I know Draws in X Wing are rare but with this rule I really want to make sure my games are not determined by a last lucky dice roll at the end

I would also like to see an FAQ for Final Salvo that states if it happens in a game then both players MUST scream out FINAL SALVO and every other payer must returnee the cry and await the result. then let the cry or FINAL SALVO echo though the store again once the results are know as an acknowledgment or such a rare event

has anyone else had it happen to them yet?

I'm a huge fan of this new rule. 

At US Nationals, I was 4-1-1 going into the final round against Dan Topczewski. This game would send the winner to the top 8. Loser would not make it. It was a tense game of back-and-forth (and it was being recorded HERE). Came down to my Scout vs his Scout... I killed his, and then because of simultaneous fire rule, he shot and killed mine as well. The tie knocked us BOTH out of top 8 and pushed Derek Tokas through (who fully deserved to play top 8... I loved his list. And he was super grateful for our tie, haha!). Dan and I both sat down and laughed/cried at the humor that is X-Wing. Instead of one of us going through, neither of went through. And we had both only lost 1 game during the whole tournament. I'd much prefer the FINAL SALVO to send either one of us to top 8! 

Edited by davidhaus

Not sure if we use the rule for our league (we are discussing at the moment if we instantly take over such changes in a running league).

However I just played a game today were noone shot down a ship within time. So it was a 0:0.

Just in case we rolled a Final Salvo. It went 4:5 against me. Playing a HWK suddenly has another disadvantage... I mean i pay 6 Points to get a 3 attack card and then it doesnt count for the Final Salvo... support ship nerfs were so needed :-(

I'm a huge fan of this new rule. 

At US Nationals, I was 4-1-1 going into the final round against Dan Topczewski. This game would send the winner to the top 8. Loser would not make it. It was a tense game of back-and-forth (and it was being recorded HERE). Came down to my Scout vs his Scout... I killed his, and then because of simultaneous fire rule, he shot and killed mine as well. The tie knocked us BOTH out of top 8 and pushed Derek Tokas through (who fully deserved to play top 8... I loved his list. And he was super grateful for our tie, haha!). Dan and I both sat down and laughed/cried at the humor that is X-Wing. Instead of one of us going through, neither of went through. And we had both only lost 1 game during the whole tournament. I'd much prefer the FINAL SALVO to send either one of us to top 8! 

This.

I'd much rather have a chance of a win, especially a chance that is weighted based on boardstate and/or list composition so not completely random, than have both players in an intense and close fought game walk away with what is effectively a loss. Whether or not attack dice was the right way to do this or if cannons/turrets should count is up for debate. But the final salvo is so much better than draws.

Final Salvo should not be screamed. It should be sung, to the tune of the Final Countdown. And, yes, you should start humming too. 

YES YES YES

I don't know why I didn't think of that

FFG put this in the FAQ

also make a rule that if the players don't sing it they are both DQ. Because we need more rule in this game to enforce fun :lol:  :D  :P  ;)

It's weird, but it's better than determining it based on initiative or allowing intentional draws (IMO).

for most of the games I play initiative is determined by a dice roll. It would be fun if initiative was determined by final salvo, it would save time at the end of the match if there was a draw but might change how the players play the game :unsure: . but then you have those players who build to have it so it just wouldn't work sadly

I hate ID's!!! but how would people feel if players wanted to ID they would go straight to Final Salvo?

Would they still be as bad or more accepted?

either was its still a win or loss and if the players didn't want to play, for what ever reason, instead on one of them conceding they would go straight to Final Salvo. Determine a winner and everyone and moves on

would it be called Opening Salvo then? (opps wrong game :P)

or would it be going backwards?

FINAL SALVO rang loud through the store again echoed by fellow X Wing players who were as excited to see the new rule play out. along with angry stares in our direction from the D&D players for interrupting there make believe world  :P

It's true.  All of it.

I was there, in the X-Wing world, not the make-believe D&D one...

You must lie. :rolleyes:  From what all of the draw haters say they almost NEVER happen naturally.  To have two in one night must be a complete fabrication.  Two draws in a single day is more than some players claim they have ever SEEN much less been part of.

Hopefully the sarcasm comes through but the idea that draws are bad because they "never happen" has been a cry for those hating draws for a long time.  I fully believe that draws can happen and even SHOULD happen so I'm very unimpressed by these new rules.

Edited by StevenO

Except that it's bad :c

anything random is bad. period.

So that means the game is bad seeing as with all those dice rolls, should do us a favor and quit then.

I'd be perfectly happy to see less dice-random. 

And judjing by the fact that almost every player out there utilizes upgrades that reduce the randomness... I'm not the only one.

Get back under the bridge. Toxic trolls, toxic trolls never change.

Except that it's bad :c

anything random is bad. period.

So that means the game is bad seeing as with all those dice rolls, should do us a favor and quit then.

I'd be perfectly happy to see less dice-random. 

And judjing by the fact that almost every player out there utilizes upgrades that reduce the randomness... I'm not the only one.

Get back under the bridge. Toxic trolls, toxic trolls never change.

Only because there are far far and away more of those types of upgrades and they are costed lower than there are ones that add more offense or defense dice. A hit is better than a chance to hit, there is no question in that. But making the argument that because people use cards that give them an indisputable mathematical advantage by changing a 0.5 to a 1 that therefore randomness is bad is simply specious.

I totally see why they went with a random tie-breaker. It makes it impossible to play for a draw (with non-random tie-breakers, like initiative, there will be situations where the player that knows he wins the tie-breaker is encouraged to play for the draw).

What I don't get is why complicate stuff. Why all this Final Salvo, reroll ties etc. instead of just toss a coin or roll a single die?

I totally see why they went with a random tie-breaker. It makes it impossible to play for a draw (with non-random tie-breakers, like initiative, there will be situations where the player that knows he wins the tie-breaker is encouraged to play for the draw).

What I don't get is why complicate stuff. Why all this Final Salvo, reroll ties etc. instead of just toss a coin or roll a single die?

Its to punish point fortressing. 2 Bandits and a Tala are highly likely to beat Predator EU Vader on final salvo, which is fair, as Vader has a clear edge in that situation and the Vader player failed by not closing the match. With three ships, it also is a lot harder to play for a tie.

A more extreme example: Fat Han at 60 points. Fat Han can easily play for a tie with large base and EU. Worse, whenever an enemy can attempt to break the tie, he'll also get a shot because of his PWT (btw wouldn't Turret Primary Weapon TPW make more sense?). 60 points of TIE Interceptors are seriously unfavoured in that matchup (its easy for Han to one shot one each turn), but should they manage to make it to a tie, they have triple the dice.

Playing for a tie is almost impossible to be viable with the implementation of final salvo as the ships that can do it easily are unfavoured on the tiebreaker. Its another step to ensure ties are as rare as possible and I like it.

Edited by Admiral Deathrain

The problem is the whole intentional draw thing. You have to allow them, because otherwise you can't possibly police draw fabrication. This in turn means that draws become common place so high win players can secure their spot in the cut. That however is highly inapropriate in X-Wing, since here draws are incredibly unlikely with how many factors need to come together.

So I get why they wanted to get rid of draws, and implement this rule.  I'm curious as to why they removed modified wins? There isn't anything particular about removing the 1 pt draw that fixes the modified win. Is it just that they were super unpopular and lame, and you might as well fix all of it at once?