Sign in to follow this  
Sarcon

Should there be a reward for repainted ships in Organised Play?

I would welcome it if tournament organizers would throw in an extra prize for the "best painted" squad. I've had one TO joke about it and thought "well, why not, my ships are all repainted and modified...".

I just see it as a motivation for people to customize their ships. If there is something as silly as a painting challenge coin people could win, there will be more custom squadrons on the field. If you ask me, that would be a serious enhancement for the gaming experience.

I love X-wing to death, I've played my fair share of tournaments and love all the prize support FFG provides. Don't see this topic as critisism that FFG isn't doing it right, it just bugs me that creativity is not rewarded. There is a whole section in the tournament rules dedicated to repainted ships already. And personally, I would love to see more customized squadrons!

It doesn't have to be something big, maybe just a challenge coin or a medal with an X-wing logo and a brush that says "Best squadron at (type of event) event".

And I understand the counter arguement - "painting doesn't have anything to do with the game". That's true, but both playing the game well and doing a repaint well, require skill. And I believe it absolutely enhances the x-wing experience all together.

What do you guys think?

I love the pre painted ships. Tournaments are about flying skill and using a list to it's full potential as you have said. It's not about how well you can paint. If you want something to look different then awesome for you, but they come pre painted for a reason. And I mean the collective "you", not you personally. I think as others have said, maybe a competition outside of the tournament could be a good idea, but for unmodified models, not some of the cut ups we have seen here. Some of them are great, but it's not a Y Wing if it doesnt look like a Y Wing. 

I personally do not think how well you can paint should have any bearing on if you win a tournament. 

What about pilots that take showers? Should be givin a challenge coin for it. imo.

Made out of soap.

We want them to use it, not hold onto it.

No, no. no... we absolutely do want them to hold onto it - the resulting crack from them dropping it would be much worse than a ship's peg cracking when it's dropped!

I don't understand those categoric "no" answers. If you don't want to paint your ship, you don't have to. The existence of this kind of side reward does not alter the tournament results, so it makes no difference to you. You just don't enter the painting competition, that's all.

I don't think it should be a part of the OP kit/requirements as the fact the ships are pre-painted is what brings a lot of people to playing x-wing. Nothing against a painting competition on the side though. I usually win more at Batman tournaments for the best painted award than playing the game :P 

No.  I don't want FFG to officially put a competitive aspect to painting.  

However:  TO's can do whatever they like with seasonal kits.  Have a painting competition!  Give out a couple extra participation cards to the winner.  Acknowledge skill!  I've done it multiple times, even giving away a full set of acrylic asteroids to the winner of a painting contest in a 32-person tournament (that jawa tagged rebel transport was SICK!!!).  In a few weeks I'm running a racing/mariokart style tournament, and you bet there will be something extra for the best painted raceship.

Just don't have FFG force our hand on this.  

Edited by jonnyd

I don't understand those categoric "no" answers. If you don't want to paint your ship, you don't have to. The existence of this kind of side reward does not alter the tournament results, so it makes no difference to you. You just don't enter the painting competition, that's all.

The categoric no answer should be pretty easy to understand if you just read the topic title which asks if there should be a reward as far as organized (read official FFG sanctioned and supported) play is concerned.  I don't think anyone wants painting to be any part of tournament play.

I don't think anyone objects to the idea that a story could have some completely separate painting/customization contest that could be run parallel to some actual tournament.  Just don't have "prize support" for that contest taken from those who come to play the game and who could care less what the models actually look like.

I do paint my ships and paint them well. I would be against this completely.  And mainly because it would be the same people winning those competitions all the time. Anyone can have a good day. All the dice roll hits and evades for you.  All the right opponents get to your table and you just win.  We have some what of a problem now with all the prize support being concentrated in a small set of hands, that I don't  want to see another very small sub sect of players get this support.  A little bit of store credit for painted ships at a major tournament, sure. Painted ships as prize support to bump the attendance at an event provided by the FLGS absolutely.  But any game side benefit to something so subjective as painting your ships is an invitation to hurt feelings and bad experiences.  The game is all about flying your ships and rolling dice.  The occasional painted ship is cool but leave it to the local community and FLGS to reward that in some ancillary way.  

I am another who paints their ships. I am not against a painting prize as I played WFB a lot in the past and this was always a thing. I am not really for it either so I guess I'm neutral! I agree that painting is not part of x-wing and x-wing is not the same kind of hobby as WFB was. I think the best way to do this would be on a store-by-store basis if at all.

The categoric no answer should be pretty easy to understand if you just read the topic title which asks if there should be a reward as far as organized (read official FFG sanctioned and supported) play is concerned.  I don't think anyone wants painting to be any part of tournament play.

I don't think anyone objects to the idea that a story could have some completely separate painting/customization contest that could be run parallel to some actual tournament.  Just don't have "prize support" for that contest taken from those who come to play the game and who could care less what the models actually look like.

I don't understand why a painting contest would have any effect on the tournament play. The op obviously meant an additional coin or something for the best painted squad. It would not be a part of the tournament play at all. The price would not be taken from anyone, FFG just simply can drop in an extra price to the package.

Or what did you think? Did you assume that we want extra tournament points or MoV bonus for painted squads? That would be a really bad idea.

Edited by Ubul

So, uh. 

I've repainted all of my ships - some of them a lot, some of them just changing the cockpit from black to orange so I know which one's mine. 

I own over a thousand miniatures for wargames, role-playing games, and board games. 

I've been painting miniatures for 22 years, and I've won painting awards at several Warhammer 40k tournaments (before ditching that game).

And this is a terrible idea

A large part of the draw for X-Wing is the prepainted aspect, and that it doesn't actually look horrible (I'm glaring at you, Heroclix!) Making repainting an 'official competition' would move it to a realm where hypercompetitive players would feel as though they HAD to repaint just to get another edge, another chance at winning something. 

I don't understand why a painting contest would have any effect on the tournament play. The op obviously meant an additional coin or something for the best painted squad. It would not be a part of the tournament play at all. The price would not be taken from anyone, FFG just simply can drop in an extra price to the package.

Or what did you think? Did you assume that we want extra tournament points or MoV bonus for painted squads? That would be a really bad idea.

Prize packages cost money.  Money to get those normally is recouped through tournament entry fees.  Why the hell should I support your side project with my entry fees?

And some games must have points awarded based on things like paint jobs and even "sportsmanship" so saying there should be a reward for repainted ships in organized play does suggest that you want those types of thing.