Sign in to follow this  
Thalasarian

A new stressbot - ARC-170

So, many have already probably played with this idea, but how would this work as a new stressbot?

Braylen Stramm - 31pts

R3-A2, Tactician, Alliance Overhaul, Vectored Thrusters

He has 2 firing arcs with which to capitalize on R3-A2 and Tactician, Can Barrel Roll to get better arc coverage and doesn't care if he's facing away or towards the enemy. Plus a good chance to clear the stress gained from R3 to boot...

Would these combos work together? It's been a long time since I've played any X-wing, and haven't played anything since the FAQ dropped.

If you have the points, Gunner is probably better over Tactician, but ya, this is a nasty stressmachine.

Yes... The Stressmachine..... Can we please call it that?

Just checking... but you can use Gunner to fire you primary twice in a turn right?

I'm liking the look of:

Stramm- R3-A2, tactician, alliance overhaul, flechette torpedoes, munitions failsafe.

Basically you hope for a failed attack with the torps BUT dish out 3 stress then get to do this again, it's low on damage but I'd like to see any ace get round that much stress and still be viable.

If you want damage then just swap out the tactician and torps+munition failsafe for guner, less stress but hopefully good chance of dealing some nasty damage.

Gunner only allows Primary yes.

Built this list; Probably sucks but W/e. Looks like it could be fun to fly

Kanan VCX-100 - 50pts

Ghost, Accuracy Corrector, Autoblaster turret, Tail Gunner, Rec Spec, APL

Braylen Stramm ARC-170 - 31pts

Zeb Orrelios Attack Shuttle - 19pts

Hera, Phantom

100pts (Or I could drop Hera and be at 99pts for bid)

Gunner only allows Primary yes.

Built this list; Probably sucks but W/e. Looks like it could be fun to fly

Kanan VCX-100 - 50pts

Ghost, Accuracy Corrector, Autoblaster turret, Tail Gunner, Rec Spec, APL

Braylen Stramm ARC-170 - 31pts

Zeb Orrelios Attack Shuttle - 19pts

Hera, Phantom

100pts (Or I could drop Hera and be at 99pts for bid)

Not to derail the thread but...

On a side note with Rebels (Ghost, Zeb, Hera, etc.) appearing before Star Wars (yes the original movie) then the ARC-170 should be very close to the time line. Maybe a little older and rejected by the new Empire but still enough out there, while not common, they were not unknown either.

Just a distraction. You may now return to your regular thread topic and thank you for your time.

I like these ideas, but I'm too addicted to Wes r3a2/VI myself. You could throw flèchette Torps on him if you want. The high pilot skill combined with the token stripping is just too awesome. I wonder if it's worth adding vector thrusters to Wes, I think it might be.

Still, I'm paying attention because maybe that rear arc might make up for it.

i'd rather tactician than gunner.

Gunner assumes you didnt baller roll your attack to get the double-stress. Yeah its any range instead of limited to range2 but if you doublestress even once that ship is out of the game for a couple turns more often than not. I hate gunner, because every time i take it i somehow do 1 damage EVERY TIME even with very bad odds to hit (3 attack, range3, through a rock, against agi3 ship, still did 1 damage somehow so no gunner and i even rolled poorly).

And hes expensive. The ARC-Stressor isnt going to be doing a ton of damage, just average damage, so every penny to make him cheaper is better in my books.

If you happen to have 3pts lying around, by all means go gunner. Usually i only got 2pts lying around though, in which i'd probably put Fletchs on there to tripstress :D

Edited by Vineheart01

I think Gunner for 1 point over Tactician + Vectored Thrusters is probably a better build (although I think Tactician is solid, too).  If he's stressed a lot, the Barrel Roll isn't helping, necessarily.  His ability isn't great, but it's decent, and while you don't expect it, it's going to be extra goodies every time it works.  

Hera crew and Kyle Katarn also seem like good, solid options, if you're looking for overall power with a side of stress (instead of a stress main course).  

I personally prefer gunner due to the potential of range independent double-tap, as well as the greater potential for damage

Braylen, unlike the stress Y, can actually get modifiers (sometimes his ability; Alliance Overhaul from the rear) to make that 2nd gunner shot hit home

if points are strapped, though, tactician it is

I don't think you want tail gunner on the Ghost.  it's arc is a special arc not a rear arc. And you would never want to put vectored thrust on the stress machine. Remember you are taking stress while you give stress with that Astromech.  So after the first turn you are pretty much done with actions.  Also you want to think hard about the torp and fail safe.  Remember that your stress machine will be the NUMBER 1 target on the board.  Because everyone hates added stress.

I don't think you want tail gunner on the Ghost.  it's arc is a special arc not a rear arc. And you would never want to put vectored thrust on the stress machine. Remember you are taking stress while you give stress with that Astromech.  So after the first turn you are pretty much done with actions.  Also you want to think hard about the torp and fail safe.  Remember that your stress machine will be the NUMBER 1 target on the board.  Because everyone hates added stress.

Why not?

With the phantom equipped, it can make primary attacks out the rear, and, everyone tries to fly past it anyways. So, Why wouldn't a 4D primary out the rear like having tail gunner?

I may proxy this the next time I game just to try it out, but regardless I am going to have to wait until release before trying out the ARC... So meh... Cool to think about.

because it doesnt work.

Tailgunner specifically states "auxiliary arc" - the Ghost does not have an "auxiliary arc" it has a "special firing arc" i.e. completely different rules.

The title combo that lets it fire out of it doesnt change its ruling, it just adds another rule. Its still a special firing arc, thus doesnt work with tailgunner.

Why not?

With the phantom equipped, it can make primary attacks out the rear, and, everyone tries to fly past it anyways. So, Why wouldn't a 4D primary out the rear like having tail gunner?

I may proxy this the next time I game just to try it out, but regardless I am going to have to wait until release before trying out the ARC... So meh... Cool to think about.

Because it's not a, "special arc" not an auxiliary arc. Doesn't work.

Stressbot is the nickname for the R3-A2 droid.

Stresshog is the nickname for a Y-Wing with R3-A2, BTL-A4 and TLT and, as a result, the ability to deliver 2 stress tokens per turn.

A new stressbot would be a new droid with a stress delivery mechanism.

The Arc-170 is a ship not a droid.

The Arc-170 cannot be a Stressbot.

Let's try and keep things clear.

Here's a list I'm fiddling with.  Probably still gets mangled by Jumps, but should be sufficiently annoying otherwise:

Poe Dameron — T-70 X-Wing 31

Adaptability 0

R5-P9 3

Vectored Thrusters 2

Black One 1

Ship Total: 37    

Horton Salm — Y-Wing 25

Twin Laser Turret 6

Ship Total: 31    

Braylen Stramm — ARC-170 25

Tactician 2

R3-A2 2

Vectored Thrusters 2

Alliance Overhaul 0

Ship Total: 31

Edited by Cerevant

note they stressed aux arc over special arc because a TLT ghost farting out 4 shots all at agility -1 would've been too cool for school. AC versus agility 2 (base)? guaranteed 4 damage

why they made it "rear facing" to exclude the poor YV-666, though, is anyone's guess :(

sure, doesn't make any sense to have "tail gunners" on your face, but still

Edited by ficklegreendice

How's this?

Wes Janson (32) X-Wing (29), BB-8 (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Braylen Stramm (29) ARC-170 (25), R3-A2 (2), Tactician (2), Alliance Overhaul (0)

Biggs Darklighter (26) X-Wing (25), R4-D6 (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Tala Squadron Pilot (13)

I had a similar untested idea with a PS 4 Stresshog instead of Braylen, but this way you have a ship with a lot more punch and a bit more durability (probably a better match up against aces?).

Yes... The Stressmachine..... Can we please call it that?

Stressmachine it is then.

My guess is the PS3 and PS4 ARC-170 pilots will get flown the most, specifically because of R3-A2. This ship is a better carrier than the old stresshog.

Gunner is likely to expensive for the stressmachine to be the best build.

Combinations of tactician and/or vectored thrusters seem appropriate.

I would actually rather have Lando or C-3PO in the crew slot. (depending on whether you like to gamble)

People don't like R3-A2, so the stressmachine wants to be a tank. R3-A2 has a Biggs effect.

ps 4 shuts down his own ability when stressed; r3-a2 is purely for Braylen or builds that use r3-a2 and KK to set up focus for Norra (normal action to TL)

r3-a2 itself actually won't do much if torp scouts still exist, esp if you're using gunner. IF Jm5ks go away and you're left with nothing but palp aces, then you can stuff Braylen into every list ever

r3-a2 KK Norra is probably the most effective build right now given the state of the meta, as she puts out a good amount of damage in addition to stress. Granted, it is only a single point of stress, but increased damage output makes her far more useful against a wider array of targets and plenty of ships (such as PTL aces and overclocked jm5ks) won't enjoy that one stress as is

with the ept slot freed, you either slot predator for moar damage or VI + VTs for maneuverability and extra anti-ace utility

Edited by ficklegreendice

Well dang... HAHA, thanks for correcting me guys. Once again the wording nails me.

Well, time to head back to the drawing board. And really I hardly play Rebels anyways, so I never knew the hogs and bots were aptly named, thought it was just a general term. Sorry for confusions.