Sign in to follow this  
Stormbourne

Taming beasts

Ive looked in both F&D and EotE, and both the seeker pathfinder and ace beast rider say that they have an "add dice to a check to tame beast" but what are they checking and is it something all characters can do

Appologies if this is the worng place to post this

The difficulty could possibly be derived from the discipline skill of the animal (or simply willpower with upgrades according to ferocity and GM) of the beast with setbecks or boosts for circumstances (a hungry animal for example can be both, easier or harder to tame depending on the circumstances).

In the past it hasn't come up in one of my games, but another gm handled it like that, but he required multiple survival checks. Memory is hazy, since this was a few years ago, but I think it was one check for first contact, another (much harder) for tying the animal down next to camp during the night, and a few more over the next few days until the Lizard (it was a fantasy homebrew version of eote) had big pink hearts in her eye every time she saw him. Also want to add, we all agreed that this would need several checks, but also that one failed check on day 2 will not mean the animal runs away.

Stay on Target definitely has a section of a sidebar in the third chapter dedicated to "training a mount". AFB but I believe it's an opposed check of Survival (PC) vs Discipline (beast). Each check takes a week (at least) and each successful check adds a rank of "Trained Mount" talent to the beast. As soon as one check fails that's the end of training and no more ranks can be added.

But that's just a base line to me, I think the same process could be used for trying to train a skill rank, or some other talent. But that's GM judgment there

I'm wondering if it matters how you're "taming" the animal. What you're trying to accomplish. For example:

"Please don't eat me, just go away, I'm not food."

"Here, have a delicious protein bar, you're now my best friend and will follow me on my adventures!"

"Let me put this saddle on your back so you can carry me around until I tell you to stop or you drop dead, whichever comes first."

Any of those could be a form of "taming" but I expect that they would become progressively more difficult the more you're demanding of the beast. Probably upgrade the difficulty per "rank".

I'm wondering if it matters how you're "taming" the animal. What you're trying to accomplish. For example:

"Here, have a delicious protein bar, you're now my best friend and will follow me on my adventures!"

"Let me put this saddle on your back so you can carry me around until I tell you to stop or you drop dead, whichever comes first."

Any of those could be a form of "taming" but I expect that they would become progressively more difficult the more you're demanding of the beast. Probably upgrade the difficulty per "rank".

Based on the description of how difficulty is set, that's not how I would go about it. The task sets the difficulty, the dice determine the outcome.

In my view, the first really isn't 'taming', so yeah, that might be easier.  The latter two are similar enough to be handled in the same way as a 'taming' attempt with similar difficulties, but in the middle example, I'd give a boost die for the protein bar. The latter result could be achieved with a bunch of advantage or a triumph.

Not that what you've proposed is wrong, just wanted to provide a different view. Sounds like there may be more official write-up in the texts already.

Personally I'm looking for a compainion-esk pet that can come with me and help in certain situations

I had a character in my group that was a beast tamer. I made it a Survival check, versus Discipline, with upgrade thrown in depending on it if was domesticated, wild, carnivorous, etc. I allowed him to use the beast for a number of scenes equal to successes (only counting scenes that the beast could actually in some way participate in), before it got bore or hostile and (generally) left (though I did sometimes allow him to retry later). I only made it a permanent companion if he both succeeded and got a Triumph. It actually only happened once or twice, he was more likely to get Despairs, and make enemies of the wildlife in the area. It was pretty great.

By the way what would minion-rival-nemesis do for taming

Depends on the creature but it's Willpower is the main thing and as they get more powerful the beast will likely have higher Willpower.

I'll clarify something I said earlier, the difficulty to train the beast is: Hard Survival check upgraded a number of times equal to the beasts Willpower.