Sign in to follow this  
Hawkstrike

Why can't I take notes?

From the new tournament rules:

Taking Notes and Outside Material. Players cannot take notes or reference outside material or information during a tournament round.

OK, so I understand why they don't want access to outside, hidden material.  But why can't I take notes during the game?

I've recorded every competitive X-wing game I've played -- it's something I refer to later to help me improve my game play.  It isn't blow-by-blow, but  quick snapshot of what happens, things to remember for the future, etc.  I don't refer to it during the game, but do write between turns while its fresh.

So ... why is that now not allowed?

What so you can't use the manoeuvre cheat sheets either? 

I think maneuver cheat sheets are still fine.  It's something that you get in the package of every ship.

Who keeps those? Most use the ones made by fellow forum users that combine them all in one document for ease of use and this just invalidated their work.

There is surprisingly little down time in x-wing. I would think taking notes eats into play /thinking time.

There are very few matches that I can remember having enough downtime to write notes. I would be annoyed by a player who did take notes, any time the player paused to think I would be bothered that they did not do that during there note taking time, regardless if that was possible or not.

I hate people who slow play.

Edited by Icelom

I wonder if it is because groups of players can share notes and give themselves an unfair advantage over other players?

I'm guessing that this is it. That sort of thing gives an unfair advantage to those who come to a tournament with a "team" or a "squad". It'll still happen without the notes but then you are depending on people's ability to recall things without anything to reference. Having your two friends that played the guy you are facing in a semifinal round hand you their match notes is an even bigger advantage than just asking them what they remember.

I think maneuver cheat sheets are still fine.  It's something that you get in the package of every ship.

Who keeps those? Most use the ones made by fellow forum users that combine them all in one document for ease of use and this just invalidated their work.

Probably not many people, but that's why I'm saying maneuver cheat sheets don't really count here.  Maneuvers are not really hidden information.  I think this ruling is referring to other things like having a list of maneuvers that you want to make in certain situations, etc.

Probably because it's delay of game.

Only reason I could think of.

Other than maybe trying to catch folks getting a "premeasuring advantage" that are using some kind of miniature map and noting ship positions on it, turn-by-turn?  Seems a bit of a stretch, that...

I thought I had seen/heard that those were okay since they are just a reformatted version of officially and publicly available information from FFG.

There is surprisingly little down time in x-wing. I would think taking notes eats into play /thinking time.

There are very few matches that I can remember having enough downtime to write notes. I would be annoyed by a player who did take notes, any time the player paused to think I would be bothered that they did not do that during there note taking time, regardless if that was possible or not.

My note taking has never slowed down play.  I'm usually fairly quick with my dials, and can jot a few things down while my opponent is thinking.

My note taking has never slowed down play.  I'm usually fairly quick with my dials, and can jot a few things down while my opponent is thinking.

Did you ever think the rule may not be specifically for you?

To take it to an obserdity it's like saying "let me measure before I move I will forget so I should get to do it"

It's a general rule, you can feel proud that you are so fast that you can sit around doing nothing but to stop someone else taking forever making notes you have to make the ultimate sacrifice and not do it as well.

I always keep track of my opponent's list (shields, hull, crits, etc.) So I wouldn't have to slow down the game by constantly having to double check with the other player. This is a bad rule and unfair to many with learning disabilities and handicaps.

It can/does slow down the game

I've had opponents want to take photos and if I had of allowed them to do so it would have slowed the game and he could have won because of it

that said I don't have a problem if people set there dials fast and then take notes/photos while there opponent is setting there dials but when they are ready to go you must also be ready to go

I am glade for this rule and welcome more rules to reduce slow play

Wade Piche has ruled that consolidated maneuver reference cards are OK because the originals come in the retail packaging.

Edited by MajorJuggler

I do, and I bring them in my bag to every tournament and game night, because they explicitly say to keep them on hand so that players can reference them at any time.

seriously

Every phone has a voice recorder these days. That seems like it could be doable, too.

...or just take a helmet or shoulder mounted video and self-narrate the match...that would probably annoy your opponent even more than slowing the match to take handwritten notes!  :)  ;)

I do, and I bring them in my bag to every tournament and game night, because they explicitly say to keep them on hand so that players can reference them at any time.

seriously

I do too. I've clipped every manuver table from the small ships (Don't want to cut up my rules booklets from the bigger ships) and keep them in my stuff.

Every once in a blue moon, my opponent will ask to see my manuver dial, and i get to pull out the table and hand it over. :)