Sign in to follow this  
Mogrok

New tournament update snuck in

I think I have like 5 extra sets of store champs rulers...

This is also after trading away a set and destroying one trying to make short rulers.

No, I didn't rob a UPS truck with a store champs kit, I just went to like 4 store champs with my buddy who uses all my stuff to play (so has no use for them) and we both placed in top 8. So 8 sets of rulers!

Does that mean after the values have been subtracted, you cannot have over 400 MOV? for example player A has 150 MOV, player B has 600 MOV, player B wins with a 400 MOV

Or Player A has 150 MOV, player B has 600 MOV, dropped down to 400, and ends with a 250 MOV?

It reads like the top option going off of the wording in the document.

In which case you can still get stung badly by Objectives.

So, do you have to accept a concede if someone concedes? I'd rather finish it out to win 10-1 (if it is panning out that way and they want to concede) I don't want to lose points because someone doesn't want to play a few more rounds out or in those rare cases in a regional miss the cut because someone conceded to me knowing it'd knock me out the cut and give their friend a better chance.

I don't think you'll have much choice. You can't physically force someone to finish up a game. The best you can do is to convince them to do so.

Does that mean after the values have been subtracted, you cannot have over 400 MOV? for example player A has 150 MOV, player B has 600 MOV, player B wins with a 400 MOV

Or Player A has 150 MOV, player B has 600 MOV, dropped down to 400, and ends with a 250 MOV?

You are confusing victory points with MOV. Victory points are what you score destroying enemy fleet points and completing objectives. These remain uncapped.

MOV is the delta (difference) between the players victory points (hence the name Margin of Victory).

So you can score 600, your opponent scores 100 no cap

but the MOV is 500, which is now capped to 400. End MOV is 400. This helps normalize MOV which is the first tie breaker after tournament points to prevent a first round blowout vs a new player to unduly influence the overall MOV of a player.

I think the issue is a misuse of the terminology.  It looks like you mean that at the end of the game, Player A has scored 150 points, while player B has scored 600.  Neither of those are an MOV yet.  MOV is the difference between those two numbers.  600-150 is 450 MOV.  That number is now capped at 400.

So, do you have to accept a concede if someone concedes? I'd rather finish it out to win 10-1 (if it is panning out that way and they want to concede) I don't want to lose points because someone doesn't want to play a few more rounds out or in those rare cases in a regional miss the cut because someone conceded to me knowing it'd knock me out the cut and give their friend a better chance.

I don't think you'll have much choice. You can't physically force someone to finish up a game. The best you can do is to convince them to do so.

And this is a problem. (As losing 1 point for the player that doesn't make a cut in a final round is not enough of deterrence). I expect it to be fixed somehow, but with the rules as currently written there is no way to make the player whole (even with the judge intervention as there are no mechanics to treat DQ differently from concession).

No, but being DQ'd for poor sportsmanship can get you suspended from future FFG events....  If someone were to follow it up.  (Even after the fact)

I considered that, but it doesn't help the opponent of DQ'd person.

You are confusing victory points with MOV. Victory points are what you score destroying enemy fleet points and completing objectives. These remain uncapped.

MOV is the delta (difference) between the players victory points (hence the name Margin of Victory).

So you can score 600, your opponent scores 100 no cap

but the MOV is 500, which is now capped to 400. End MOV is 400. This helps normalize MOV which is the first tie breaker after tournament points to prevent a first round blowout vs a new player to unduly influence the overall MOV of a player.

Thanks.

You're right I was getting confused. :)

No, but being DQ'd for poor sportsmanship can get you suspended from future FFG events....  If someone were to follow it up.  (Even after the fact)

I considered that, but it doesn't help the opponent of DQ'd person.

At the time, no...  But hopefully the very threat of it should be somewhat of a Preventative Measure....

I think it is an issue, many times have I seen someone quit because they were getting spanked, prior to this it was a 400 MOV, 10-0, which was a problem because it handed people 10-0's lol, now we have the opposite side, instead of your hard won 10-1, you get the lesser score.

Tricksy, that is for sure.

Its the right move, I think, because someone is more likely to benefit from someone conceding in frustration, or due to time constraints or other factors.

In fact, in all the tournaments I've been to, people conceding or dropping out usually happened because they had an outside emergency OR a personality conflict with the opponent.

Now, do the majority of people who were conceded to really deserve a 10-0? I doubt it. Seriously doubt it. If you concede because you are getting well and truly spanked and you aren't a total **** you can play out getting tabled to not dock your opponent potentially 2 valuable points and naturally to earn yourself 1 point.

The only time conceding is better than losing 10-1 for the loser when they intend to properly participate is when they are trying to game tournament results and if someone were to do that you bet your balls they will get reported for being unsportsmanlike.

How many people are you expecting to get DQed while facing you pt106?

I nope none, but this is not about me, but about the issue that I bet will arise in some tournament somewhere.

Its the right move, I think, because someone is more likely to benefit from someone conceding in frustration, or due to time constraints or other factors.

I totally agree and agree that the concession that will result in making a winning player worse is an unsportsmanlike conduct (in my book at least).

However even if the offending player is cited for it, there is no way to fix the situation for the second player within these rules framework. So it's better to discuss this now then to wait for it to happen at some tournament.

So no more breaking everyone else's range rulers and winning by default, since I'll still have to share mine. FFG must really hate its customers.

Remind me never to let you use KY stuff again. . .

But the chaffing..

If you're getting 10-1'd or 9-2'd you're not winning the tournament and most likely not getting the top 8 or 4 so I think most people are gonna conceded to hurt the other players chances.

Whoever you play with, let me know so I can avoid playing with them.  Why would most people be so vindictive to scoop in order to deprive someone of points?  I know of MAYBE one or two people locally that might do something like this, but most players doing it?  I hope that's not the case.  I've been beaten bad in tournaments but never once did I think of quitting the game.  I can maybe see conceding if the person playing is unbearably aggressive/hostile/cheating, 

One positive thing (if this was mentioned before, apologies) that comes from the maxed-out MOV is it makes certain missions that don't net a ton of points playable again.

So no more breaking everyone else's range rulers and winning by default, since I'll still have to share mine. FFG must really hate its customers.

Well you see the wife and I have this kinky version of Armada...it's called Hide the Ackbar...

Well you see the wife and I have this kinky version of Armada...it's called Hide the Ackbar...

Smells like fish.

The concession pretty much is terrible as it can be misused very easily.

Why not have an 8-0 as the lowest score, but otherwise calculate the score based on the losses suffered by the player staying on? For example, if I had lost a single squadron of 20 points, my MOV would be 380 and I would score a 10-0 win?

If the rule stays as is guarantee we'll be talking about some bloke that was winning his final game 9+ and then took a 8-0 and was overtaken by his opponents friend at the conclusion of the event.

At least that isn't slow play....if you are running, your turn should go pretty fast.  When you play against someone with two ships and a bunch of squadrons and they take over 6 minutes to pick their first squadron to activate that is what I call slow play.  (true story)

It made me frustrated to even read this post again. I was just talking about this situation with a couple of Armada buddies who were also there. I seriously hope he gets called for slow play next time, it was ridiculous.