Sign in to follow this  
Mogrok

New tournament update snuck in

The concession thing is still not in the conceders best interest as he or she will net zero tournament points, and otherwise could play for one or two.  Sure the conceder would limit their opponent's score, but it still doesn't really help them.  Personally I'd rather get 10-1ed just out of respect of being out played.  One way to clarify it is if you concede you are also dropped from the tournament.

Hehe, if the person beating you is really being a jerk about it, it might be worth conceding.

I sense this in my future. . .

The concession thing is still not in the conceders best interest as he or she will net zero tournament points, and otherwise could play for one or two.  Sure the conceder would limit their opponent's score, but it still doesn't really help them.  Personally I'd rather get 10-1ed just out of respect of being out played.  One way to clarify it is if you concede you are also dropped from the tournament.

Hehe, if the person beating you is really being a jerk about it, it might be worth conceding.

Then don't be a jerk.

Then don't be a jerk.

It's less about being a jerk and more about learning to win properly and learning to lose properly. If I can learn those I think I will be fine. Emotions and social skills are just so messy.

So no more breaking everyone else's range rulers and winning by default, since I'll still have to share mine. FFG must really hate its customers.

Remind me never to let you use KY stuff again. . .

healthcare-5-2186.jpg

You must get more intimate with this game when I'm not around.

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein

So no more breaking everyone else's range rulers and winning by default, since I'll still have to share mine. FFG must really hate its customers.

Remind me never to let you use KY stuff again. . .

healthcare-5-2186.jpg

You must get more intimate with this game when I'm not around.

I hate my phone. . . I am just gonna go away for the day

You know,I've flip-flopped on my feelings regarding the shift in MOV since reading that document a grand ol' 10 minutes ago. No, I didn't like lowering the ceiling for the 10-1 as I'm a fan of making 10-0-esque games rare. That said, that cap is great as is the sum 11 rather than sum 10 value as it helps to clarify concepts for win and loss (5-5's) and makes concessions even more penalized.

I had a very close game a while back, something like 275-270 but was Rieekan farmed for an additional 10 tokens on the last turn, so it ended up as something like 305-500. Cutting it to 400 is significant. While it does feel like the potential for mission VP has been partially sidelined compared to destroying ships (which I have lots of mixed feelings about. Yet on the flip side, it does limit the 'generator' objectives and makes them less of an auto include compared to static VP generators), I like the changes that I've seen to the scoring system. I'm not sure how I feel about a 3 hour single elimination round though. Just going to make those already long tournaments even longer.

All in all, I like. 

... My Toddler snapped my Store Champs Distance ruler the other day...

I've got an extra set if you need it. 

I like this new hard cap on the MOV. It should make objectives that generate nearly infinite tokens less of an auto win for the tournament after a single big round.

Yeah, exactly.

Capped MOV is a good change and so is the 6-5. I'm not sure I have ever played a 5-5 game where one player didn't deserve some sort of tournament point reward for actually winning.

You know,I've flip-flopped on my feelings regarding the shift in MOV since reading that document a grand ol' 10 minutes ago. No, I didn't like lowering the ceiling for the 10-1 as I'm a fan of making 10-0-esque games rare. That said, that cap is great as is the sum 11 rather than sum 10 value as it helps to clarify concepts for win and loss (5-5's) and makes concessions even more penalized.

I had a very close game a while back, something like 275-270 but was Rieekan farmed for an additional 10 tokens on the last turn, so it ended up as something like 305-500. Cutting it to 400 is significant. While it does feel like the potential for mission VP has been partially sidelined compared to destroying ships (which I have lots of mixed feelings about. Yet on the flip side, it does limit the 'generator' objectives and makes them less of an auto include compared to static VP generators), I like the changes that I've seen to the scoring system. I'm not sure how I feel about a 3 hour single elimination round though. Just going to make those already long tournaments even longer.

All in all, I like. 

In the example you give the MOV would not have been affected

The max MOV is 400. This is determined AFTER comparing the scores if i'm not mistaken.

So if you table someone + objective tokens and they don't do much it keeps MOV reasonable and prevents someone running away with it after 1 lucky game

In your example the MOV would still have been 195. If he had scored 500 and you had scored 50, his MOV would have been 400 not 450.

Its okay.  I glued everything together...  Now I have a double sided acrylic store champs ruler, which is sure to be the envy of all, since that's the most common complaint about them......

I think all of these changes are positive.  I 5-5 more than most people I know out there, so now it'll be interesting to see how that moves forward...  I was always a "make up your losses on objectives" and I don't see that changing :D

...  I wasn't going to say it...  I wasn't going to say it...  I'm glad someone else did...  because I didn't want to say it....

Wuss. :P

....  if I pretend to be polite, these Rabid Canadians won't realise that I'm actually not one of them........

...  you have no idea how hard it is, to live this way.

One thing I don't like is the lack of notes. Would that include taking a picture of the game at the end of the turn?

I know some people like to document the game, this prevents that at all. (Though, I can understand it to prevent slow play.)

I like this new hard cap on the MOV. It should make objectives that generate nearly infinite tokens less of an auto win for the tournament after a single big round.

Yeah, exactly.

Capped MOV is a good change and so is the 6-5. I'm not sure I have ever played a 5-5 game where one player didn't deserve some sort of tournament point reward for actually winning.

I agree here.  Winning is winning, even if it is only by a small MOV.

Stuff.  Good stuff, just long.

Ah, you're right, you're right.  I read it as VP and got overzelous... actually never mind, I like capping VP, crucify me as you will :P 

So that's a -1 for me, doesn't actually help other than make more aggressive players want to play more aggressive to get the lower ceiling. I like the 6-5, don't like the 300 point 10-1. 

If you say so Dras, I've actually found that as much as I like the dual sided, I kinda like the ease of using the two rulers for a quick play area set up. 

Edited by Vykes

Its another standardised rule that has come across into all of the games documents...

I feel its mostly for those games that have a 'hidden hand'...  Where a card is played on the table, and subsequently returned to the hand, you can't make a note that, that card exists...  You have to remember it...  Rather than note it...

But yes, mostly for game slowing...

As it is, I find that by Turn 2 of the Second Game, I've forgotten my Camera on the chair beside me, and no more turn-by-turn is being taken....  >.>

And Vykes - its more....  Its more along the lines that, because I did the 5 Vics, because I was so distracted by being a Judge in my games, I actually finished below the cut to earn it on my own, and relied on it being given to me...

I didn't deserve this one.

I can hardly deserve a second one :)

If you say so Dras, I've actually found that as much as I like the dual sided, I kinda like the ease of using the two rulers for a quick play area set up. 

I've seen a few players use Isard and then pull out a stack of extra command dials to mark what was coming up... I've never been sure how I feel about that as it was more or less note taking by different means.  Isard and the like does feel like it's an extra dimension to the game in having to remember an opponent's command stack compared to being able to see yours at any time.  I think I like 'no notes allowed', but if I do, it's more of a 'it's a'right I guess'.

I didn't deserve this one.

I can hardly deserve a second one :)

I was 7th player out of 7th in one of those store champs, not like I deserved that either except by virtue of there being enough to go around :P  

One thing I don't like is the lack of notes. Would that include taking a picture of the game at the end of the turn?

I know some people like to document the game, this prevents that at all. (Though, I can understand it to prevent slow play.)

;

A picture ought to be fine,  I'd check with the opponent first.  Taking a picture isn't taking notes.  It also does more than just prevent slow play.  This has been a long-standing rule in the game of chess, where the clock already handles any problems with slow play.  The mental work of the game is meant to be done in your head.  Granted, I've never seen anyone take notes as a way to strategically benefit themselves, but I suppose it must have happened once.  I might be the only person I know who actually brings a notebook with me to games, where in the interest of avoiding slow play, I write down rules questions to check later.  And I think I may have actually written down 3 or 4 questions over 5 months of playing, so that's not exactly a large number.  The rules guide alleviates this for major tournaments by just having the players consult a judge or marshal.

Yeah, exactly.

One of my first games after wave 2 came out ended with my opponent and I ending on a perfect tie with about half of our very different fleets lost. So it can happen, but it's very rare.

One thing I like about the new MOV is that if you can, ignoring squadrons is now viable while still getting 300+ MOV. This makes fleets with only enough squadrons intended to stall bombers possible. It also makes losing cheap squadrons like TIE Fighters and A-wings more painful since they will now count towards a win.

So, do you have to accept a concede if someone concedes? I'd rather finish it out to win 10-1 (if it is panning out that way and they want to concede) I don't want to lose points because someone doesn't want to play a few more rounds out or in those rare cases in a regional miss the cut because someone conceded to me knowing it'd knock me out the cut and give their friend a better chance.

Edited by KovuTalli