Sign in to follow this  
Mogrok

New tournament update snuck in

Some new tournament updates for Armada in July.  I never noticed them before.  Upped MOV for a bye to 8 points 140 MOV.  135 minute rounds(outlined in Red can't remember if that was the old time as well)

Different scoring system as well with a 6-5 being the lowest you can get now. 

And you can use 3rd party range rulers as long as they match to an official one. 

That's all I noticed so far. 

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/12/2016-july-rules-update/

Effective 1 August

Edited by Mogrok

Yeah, since winners always get a point more.  That's true, no more 5-5ing because it is in your best interest.

and not even a mention of an intentional draw in the whole thing.  Good.  If you want to quit.  Then the 2nd player gets 6. 

I just hope it doesn't promote slow play by the second player to get a win. 

Edited by Mogrok

Pretty significant scoring changes. I think that overall it's for good. Winning means something, concessions are discouraged, and MoV can't be more than 400 for a single game (no more Fire Lanes shenanigans)

The only thing that worries me is the concession rule (If a player concedes the game, that player receives 0 tournament points and a Margin of Victory

of 0. His or her opponent receives 8 tournament points and a Margin of Victory of 140). As written it means that the opponent can turn 9-2 or 10-1 victory into 8-0, which doesn't sound right.

Yeah, since winners always get a point more.  That's true, no more 5-5ing because it is in your best interest.

and not even a mention of an intentional draw in the whole thing.  Good.  If you want to quit.  Then the 2nd player gets 6. 

It will also promote fleet avoidance for second players.  For example lets say I have initiative and I look at my opponents build and I realize I cant win or its unlikely I will win I can choose to go second and just run away from them (if your fleet is designed to do this) and if I can avoid them I will get a 6-5.  It will piss a lot of people off but I am personally ok with that.  It shows that you have a good tactical understanding of the situation and if you can avoid them you win.

I am sure that would be clarified to not penalize someone who is winning by a greater score...common sense should prevail (I know that is rare in the gaming community)

It will also promote fleet avoidance for second players.  For example lets say I have initiative and I look at my opponents build and I realize I cant win or its unlikely I will win I can choose to go second and just run away from them (if your fleet is designed to do this) and if I can avoid them I will get a 6-5.  It will piss a lot of people off but I am personally ok with that.  It shows that you have a good tactical understanding of the situation and if you can avoid them you win.

At least that isn't slow play....if you are running, your turn should go pretty fast.  When you play against someone with two ships and a bunch of squadrons and they take over 6 minutes to pick their first squadron to activate that is what I call slow play.  (true story)

Edited by Mogrok

I am sure that would be clarified to not penalize someone who is winning by a greater score...common sense should prevail (I know that is rare in the gaming community)

Or it'll fall under unsportsmanlike conduct, I agree. But some clarification will be needed, I think.

At least that isn't slow play....if you are running, your turn should go pretty fast.  When you play against someone with two ships and a bunch of squadrons and they take over 6 minutes to pick their first squadron to activate that is what I call slow play.  (true story)

I agree with you and I do hate slow play when its on purpose but some people are just very methodical about how they play.

Or it'll fall under unsportsmanlike conduct, I agree. But some clarification will be needed, I think.

Just needs to add to a minimum of 8 and 140 unless the winning player has already scored higher.  Or can by the end of the current round. 

The concession thing is still not in the conceders best interest as he or she will net zero tournament points, and otherwise could play for one or two.  Sure the conceder would limit their opponent's score, but it still doesn't really help them.  Personally I'd rather get 10-1ed just out of respect of being out played.  One way to clarify it is if you concede you are also dropped from the tournament.

The concession thing is still not in the conceders best interest as he or she will net zero tournament points, and otherwise could play for one or two.  Sure the conceder would limit their opponent's score, but it still doesn't really help them.  Personally I'd rather get 10-1ed just out of respect of being out played.  One way to clarify it is if you concede you are also dropped from the tournament.

Hehe, if the person beating you is really being a jerk about it, it might be worth conceding.

Pretty significant scoring changes. I think that overall it's for good. Winning means something, concessions are discouraged, and MoV can't be more than 400 for a single game (no more Fire Lanes shenanigans)

The only thing that worries me is the concession rule (If a player concedes the game, that player receives 0 tournament points and a Margin of Victory

of 0. His or her opponent receives 8 tournament points and a Margin of Victory of 140). As written it means that the opponent can turn 9-2 or 10-1 victory into 8-0, which doesn't sound right.

THIS... say you have a "team" (collection of friends, etc)... I'm gonna eject before getting tabled.  There needs to be a mechanic where somebody is about to get tabled and doesn't want to go through the motions (we've all been on the losing end where it's no longer fun).

Hehe, if the person beating you is really being a jerk about it, it might be worth conceding.

Or, if you have friends still in the tournament, conceding may help them by limiting points to your opponent. You could always concede while playing your friend and give him a big score. There may not be any easy way to solve both issues.

Or, if you have friends still in the tournament, conceding may help them by limiting points to your opponent. You could always concede while playing your friend and give him a big score. There may not be any easy way to solve both issues.

Honestly, any system is going to be flawed and prone to manipulation through jerks.  My way to help combat it is to not be one of those jerks.

You must be a better friend that I am. :lol:

Honestly, I think that a lot of these rules are meant for communities with any level of maturity. The events that I'm a part of are relaxed friendly affairs, in which people largely show each other grace and patience. I'm glad I'm not going to events where that's not the case.

Yeah, I wouldn't see anyone in our group or area pulling that sort of shenanigan...

Of course, with the TO's we have (me included), I'm pretty sure that you'd also be ejected from the tournament and have a suspension request placed with FFG if you were truly that much of a Jerk to your fellow players....

The MoV table is completely changed.  Will be interesting to see how people react to that.  10-1 is anything over 300 points.

Actually 10-1 is only 300-400.

401+ is undefined in the document unless I've missed something?      (I'm guessing the intention is 300+ is 10-1, but they pooched the table)

The MoV table is completely changed.  Will be interesting to see how people react to that.  10-1 is anything over 300 points.

Actually 10-1 is only 300-400.

401+ is undefined in the document unless I've missed something?      (I'm guessing the intention is 300+ is 10-1, but they pooched the table)

It states above that 400 is the max you can score.

Edit: Whoa!  Rapid fire, and just a skosh late.  Drasnighta and Mogrok, you guys have lightning fingers.

Edited by Caldias