Sign in to follow this  
Sunitsa

Manaroo passing a new target lock on another ship

That last sentence is being used to argue that if you receive a TL from Manaroo and already have a TL then you MUST remove the TL you have originally.

And no sentences at all are being used to argue that if you receive a TL from Manaroo and already have a TL then you CAN CHOOSE the TL to remove.

Where does it say you can't?

I created an account because I have to weigh in. The argument that you get to decide which token to keep is laughable. The mere suggestion that there needs to be a specific ruling is ridiculous. The rules clearly state you ditch the old TL when you gain a new one. What's a synonym for gain? Acquire. You can assign me some work, and I've acquired new tasks. Also, really it's common sense.

You assume that because there is scenario A, than this will work the same in scenario B. That is not correct, because the condition for scenario A is not valid (acquire a target lock), hence the effect is not valid as well. The only still valid condition is the fact that you are allowed to maintain only one target lock. You can achieve it by discarding one, but there is no ruling at the moment that would determine which one should it be. 

Unless Manaroo gets errated to be like "You may choose a friendly ship and assign to it all of you focus and evade tokens and acquire all of your blue target lock tokens".

I go with the logic of Stoneface but I can understand why someone may think different... Though, this should convince you:

There's a difference between being assigned a target lock (Manaroo) and acquiring a target lock (ie. Thread Chasers). The ship being "assigned" the Target Lock does not have to meet the range restrictions cited in the FAQ (page 18 top of right hand coloumn) for ACQUIRING a Target Lock.

So, the main difference (despite of the sources as for both there are several possible):

ACQUIRE: assign a blue target lock to your ship and a red target lock token to a ship within range 3 from your ship; you have to discard the previous Blue TL token if you had one (which means that corresponding red token is discarded as well);

ASSIGN: be assigned a target lock (blue/red/all) to your ship, do not measure the range, discard TL tokens until you have only one.

Imagine that Manaroo has weapons engineer crew. She has 2 blue target locks, you have none - would you really choose which one is assigned first?

"Where does it say you can't?"

Literally the worst argument ever used.

The closest scenario we have to compare being assigned a blue TL from Manaroo is when acquring a new one. It seems logical to me that you would follow similar rules (discard old TL).

But... There is nothing explicit in the rules about this. Someone needs to email FFG.

"Where does it say you can't?"

Literally the worst argument ever used.

The closest scenario we have to compare being assigned a blue TL from Manaroo is when acquring a new one. It seems logical to me that you would follow similar rules (discard old TL).

But... There is nothing explicit in the rules about this. Someone needs to email FFG.

It's not a bad argument. It's no better or worse than Rawling saying you have no choice. A little common sense is needed. Re-read my example. If I have a TL on a ship and I decide that another ship is a better target and TL the new ship, of course I'm going to drop the old lock. It wouldn't make sense to drop the new one. This is the example given in the rules.

Even re-acquiring a TL on the same ship is allowed (TL not spent) if that's a trigger for an action or game effect. The only mandatory TL effect I can think of at the moment is if you declare a TL on a ship and when measured is in range you need to take the TL.

Dengar is acquiring the Target Lock from Manaroo though. The old one has to be discarded.

What reason do you have to conclude that being assigned a Target Lock and acquiring one are any different? This is quite the ridiculous semantics fight.

I was reading the section on Acquiring a Target Lock from the perspective of one ship: the active one. If I already have a TL one a ship and decide another ship is a better target and Target Lock it, of course I'm going to drop my initial or previous target lock.

Re-reading that section again from the perspective of another ship that assigns a Target Lock to me, I concede that my existing TL would have to be discarded.

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers and wasn't intentionally being dense. Please accept my apologies.

Dengar is acquiring the Target Lock from Manaroo though. The old one has to be discarded.

What reason do you have to conclude that being assigned a Target Lock and acquiring one are any different? This is quite the ridiculous semantics fight.

I was reading the section on Acquiring a Target Lock from the perspective of one ship: the active one. If I already have a TL one a ship and decide another ship is a better target and Target Lock it, of course I'm going to drop my initial or previous target lock.

Re-reading that section again from the perspective of another ship that assigns a Target Lock to me, I concede that my existing TL would have to be discarded.

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers and wasn't intentionally being dense. Please accept my apologies.

It's fine, I've been dense before about rules disputes. It was rather amusing haha.

It's fine, I've been dense before about rules disputes. It was rather amusing haha.

Not if you're on this side of the dispute. Palm to face really hurts when you're wearing glasses.

Official from Frank:

Rules Question:
Regarding Manaroo's ability to assign her tokens to a friendly ship: if the ship already has a Target Lock and can only maintain one Target Lock, must it discard the old Target Lock in favor of Manaroo's (as indicated in the RRG under Acquire a Target Lock) or can the new ship decide which Target Lock to discard (since the new Target Lock is "assigned" rather than "acquired”?

If a ship already has a target lock, since the ship is assigned all of the tokens from Manaroo, the ship must discard the old target lock rather than getting a choice of which to keep.

Thanks for playing,

Frank Brooks
Associate Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

(Two months before Christmas!)

Edited by skotothalamos

So acquiring a target lock and being assigned a target lock are the same? So the Jendon giving his target lock to the TAP lets the Tap have a free  evade? interesting. Cant see how I would use that since Jendon costs so much, but.....

So acquiring a target lock and being assigned a target lock are the same? So the Jendon giving his target lock to the TAP lets the Tap have a free  evade? interesting. Cant see how I would use that since Jendon costs so much, but.....

It may not generalise that way. It may instead be that the rule about discarding the old lock generalises to being assigned a TL as well as acquiring one.

Ya, the FAQ definitely muddies the water of what was a pretty straight forward answer.

Although the FAQ also refers to friendly ships, and BMST are from an enemy ship. Who knows if that makes a difference as well. Looks like we need a FAQ for the FAQ.

Blah

No. Absolutely not.

It just means that if the TAP already has a TL, and Jendon gives him his TL, the TAP must discard the old one.

It may not generalise that way. It may instead be that the rule about discarding the old lock generalises to being assigned a TL as well as acquiring one.

Good call. I see what you're saying, and that makes a lot more sense.