Sign in to follow this  
zhentil

Gunner Nerf

Hello everyone, i was on vacation and now there is a new FAQ, and i keep seeing all this "Gunner Nerf" stuff. I have read the new FAQ and i think i know what is going on but can someone explain what the "gunner nerf" is. 

There is no gunner nerf

Some people are confusing with the two attack 2ndey weapon errata. TLTs and CM now effectively count as a single attack (still make two sets of tolls etc)

Which means tactician or FCS only trigger ONCE and specifically AFTER both attack rolls are made

Some people are confused because they thought you used to be able to gunner after missing a roll with TLT/Clusters. I don't believe that was ever the case (had to miss with BOTH attacks regardless)

Gunner is unaffected by the errata as it is an additional attack; not a "two-in-one" like TLT or cluster missiles (ie "perform this attack twice" as opposed to "an additional attack")

Other additional attacks (Dengar, ig88b, ghost/phantom etc) are also unchanged

Ghost/phantom can fire a total of four TLT shots now, because both TLT shots only count as a single attack whereas before Phantom's "may not attack again this round" kicked in after the first TLT attack

link for what? the faq?

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/1c/fc/1cfc62b7-6ce3-49a9-ae93-d21326cb9a45/x-wing_faq_v421.pdf

TLT/Clusters only got "nerfed" because they count as one attack now for procing events such as Fire Control, "When Defending" rules, etc etc. So no more TLT + Vader or TLT + Tac for double Vader or double stress, but gunner is still perfectly legal (assuming the first attempt missed of course)

After you perform an attack that doesn't hit, you may perform a primary weapon attack.

I don't have the card to hand, but I think that's how it has read from the day I first bought it. Twin Laser Turrets, like all Turrets are secondary weapons.

So yeah, no nerfing there.

P.S. I'm one of those who still uses a Chewie Falcon with Gunner for that reason.

The only 'gunner nerf' was the double Vader after gunner sequence.

Attack (miss)

- Activate: Gunner, Vader (Crew)

--Resolve: Gunner (hit or miss)

---Activate: Vader (Crew)

----Resolve: Vader (Crew)

-----Resolve: Vader (Crew)

its not even the secondary weapon bit. The iggy pilot that fires his secondary if he misses can do it too.

Its literally any attack that says "perform this attack twice" which means if your first roll to attack hits and you still roll for a second attack. The abilities that let you try again if you fail to do damage are completely different and are unaffected. Can also change targets with gunner/luke/iggy whichever it was guy, but not with TLT/Clusters.

Attack (miss)

It's not even that. The Darth Vader entry on page 14 of the FAQ specifically states that the Gunner/Vader combo works as it always has. It's only for secondary weapon attacks which state to perform the attack twice. Since Imperials don't have access to TLTs, this is only a nerf to those special snowflakes who would run Cluster Missiles and Darth Vader on their Firespray. It probably also affects the Quad Laser Cannons in epic.

Attack (miss)

I don't think that's how it works.

Vader (Crew) will resolve in step 8, gunner will resolve in step 9.

So you'd attack, hit or miss, decide to vader, then gunner would trigger, rinse and repeat attack, choose to vader again.

It looks functionally the same as before, except we know where Dengar's attack fits in that sequence (in the same window as Gunner, so initiative determines who fires after the initial attack), but you will definitely have the opportunity to vader once before Dengar's retaliation shot, possibly twice if you have initiative.

im not sure how you could proc vader twice, even in the old faq.

You could never, ever, proc the same effect twice off the same event in this game. Attack missed, vader goes off. Gunner procs and vader goes off again. You cant vader a third time because you already proc'd him for both attacks, so wheres that third proc coming from?

Clusters used to go like this:

First Attack - hit or miss doesnt matter

Vader procs for 1 crit

Second attack - hit or miss doesnt matter

Vader procs for 1 crit.

Now the first proc cant happen, as both attacks count as 1 "attack" for any procs off of attacks.

Edited by Vineheart01

link for what? the faq?

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/1c/fc/1cfc62b7-6ce3-49a9-ae93-d21326cb9a45/x-wing_faq_v421.pdf

TLT/Clusters only got "nerfed" because they count as one attack now for procing events such as Fire Control, "When Defending" rules, etc etc. So no more TLT + Vader or TLT + Tac for double Vader or double stress, but gunner is still perfectly legal (assuming the first attempt missed of course)

As of now, imperials don't have access to the turret upgrade. Vader+TLT was never a thing.

TLT+tactician was, and only VCX, HWK, and K-wings could do it.

TLT+fcs was a thing too, but only the VCX could do that too.

Clusters+FCS was only possible for TIE advanced and TIE punisher, but no longer.

Clusters+tactician was possible on the YV-666, firespray, YT-1300 (not ORS), YT-2400 (maybe something else I can't think of...?)

Anyway, FFG wanted to make sure really niche and specific upgrade interactions weren't too powerful so they went and systematically nerfed a bunch of mid to low tier ships.

Good mechanics cleanup, bad news for diversity.