Ian2400

I Wrote an Adventure Module for Kicking off a Force Focused Campaign (works in Edge/AoR too!)

I wrote a force focused campaign kickoff adventure! Wrote this in about ten hours straight after a week or so of planning, so it can probably use some light proofreading/editing at the very least. I may have forgotten some details for consistency or something. I'll proofread myself in the next few days, but in the mean time comments are more than welcome. The premise of the module is as such:

In this adventure module, players will be tasked with breaking the eternal torment of the thought bomb that ended the Seventh Battle of Ruusan between the Jedi and the Sith 1,000 years ago. Upon entering the site of the battle, they will be launched into the final hour prior to the thought bomb’s detonation. This is the recurring torture the power has ensnared all the force sensitive souls trapped in: having to relive the last hour of their life for eternity. The key difference between the players and the other lost souls trapped inside the bomb’s power, however, is that the players know they are inside and remember everything they experienced inside of it before their deaths. If the players can learn, through repeated experiences and deaths, how to stop Sith Lord Kaan from detonating the thought bomb, they will unravel its hold upon the souls trapped inside and be thrust back into the present. Their reward will several powerful Sith artifacts, as well as some additional XP sinks for force sensitive characters as the soul of Lord Kaan turns them fully to the dark side and offers to train them in the ways of the force as his acolytes.

Obvious influence from Edge of Tomorrow, and generally inspired by and modelled off of large aspects of what Griffin McElroy is doing in The Adventure Zone right now.

Link: https://a-cure-for-injustice.obsidianportal.com/wikis/their-darkest-hour

To dos so far:

• Add a blurb of read aloud for the first time the thought bomb goes off
  • Work on the "When to use this module" section. It isn't accurate right now, and I'd like to build in options for scaling this to low XP characters rather than just mid-high XP which is what it scales to now (I'm doing a mid-campaign direction shift). Also potentially redo the rewards to be friendly to an FaD campaign, since so much of the reward now is allowing some mechanics from FaD to come into play.
  • Work with a friend who built the map to improve it a little. The PCs ship in the middle should be smaller to give a sense of scale that the whole map is ~2-2.5 miles wide.
  • Write an intro to the Sith Compound that better details narratively the available options for exploration inside
  • Re-work combat at the compound to be more epic, force multiple restarts and feel more "Edge of Tomorrow"y
  • Finish the mechanics of the Sith Holocron. It will essentially be a device that projects the recorded intelligence of the Sith that they can question. Details will be heavily based on those provided in the 2001 "The Dark Side Sourcebook"
  • Work on the aftermath section. Right now it is written explicitly for dark side users, but it wouldn't be that hard to write a more branching choice-space for light-side force users as well, where they fight off Kaan and are led by the soul of Lord Hoth to join the rebellion or rebuild the Army of Light. 
  • Provide the custom skill trees provided to the force sensitives. Mine are so heavily based on the Ways of the Force supplement I'd want the creator to OK it, and I haven't managed to do that yet.

Happy to add to this list and begin checking things off as I have time and based on feedback. To anyone who takes the time to read and help improve this, thank you!

7/11/16 - Added more to-dos, added additional clarification to the top. Was very tired when I wrote this up :). Also did a bunch of the to-dos

7/12/16 - Updated the map, added some more powers to Lord Kaan to represent the power of his glove, added some additional descriptor blocks for areas as well as two additional dropships in the Army of Light area to add more flavor and options

9/6/16 - Playtested and finished, in the process of converting to a proper PDF

Edited by Ian2400

Ok! I didn't like the combat in the original version, it was way too vanilla and confusingly written to boot. I've re-written it to be harder. WAY harder. Several forced restarts unless they approach it in a very lucky way harder. Essentially the way it SHOULD go. I may program in more ways for them to die, but I feel like this type of thing should have a lot of them dying in it to get across the advantages of being able to restart and make it feel more like the movies. I think I mostly captured that for assaulting the sith compound, though I fear it isn't present in much else. I may leave it like that though, to prevent the module from overstaying its welcome. Some of that is going to feel really cool, but it may start to get old if I'm doing it to them constantly. Not sure. Welcome thoughts.

If you have a better way to get all the obsidian portal stuff into a PDF I'd be grateful. I've tried a few tools to scrape the page but they all leave obnoxious watermarks. I'd be willing to shell out for some software if I knew it would work correctly. I put so much effort into making the OP site look good I just want it to carry over to a PDF.

Did the first session of this last night. It went EXCEEDINGLY well. I've been pretty giddy about running this, and one of my players told me today "I didn't think it could possibly live up to your hype, and it did. I want to play again right now." 

If I put a bit more effort into this after I'm done running it, I believe it would make a really solid adventure for running across a whole day at a con. Excited to finish it out and write up the rest of the to-dos.

Hello,

Great adventure and interesting plot!

I have decided to get this incorporated into my own Campaign where players are on the edge of discovering more and more about the force as the Campaign progresses,

However, I have a concern. One of the characters is a droid. Any ideas or suggestions on how to work with them in the plot? Should they somehow be treated differently then the rest considering the strong force implication that pushes the adventurers through the time loop?

What do you Think?

Hm,  perhaps its just me, but I often find the droid characters a problem when running force oriented adventures.

In this case I guess I am simply going to go for that the time loop is a "physical" one that affects the droid as well.

Hm,  perhaps its just me, but I often find the droid characters a problem when running force oriented adventures.

In this case I guess I am simply going to go for that the time loop is a "physical" one that affects the droid as well.

Ack! I never followed my own topic. Apologies. One of my characters is a droid as well, and this is how I ran it. I mention under one of the headings that the time loop should be considered purely physical. That means things like stim packs reset, but per-session abilities, destiny points, etc do not.

I totally forgot to ever come back to this! I finished this forever ago, and it went very well. Probably the best adventure arc I've ever run in my life. Some thoughts:

• It only took them two 4-hour sessions to crack it, which is a bit short for an arc but I think I'm fine with that. I don't want the gimmick to wear thin.
  • I initially ruled that they could not take Gorbo in with them, because I am an idiot and didn't know how it'd mess with the system I'd designed. In retrospect I absolutely should have allowed it, and it would have been hilarious. I already edited the content to reflect this and included details about how Gorbo starts to lose his shit as he dies repeatedly.
  • In the future I'd make some of the combat a BIT harder, but my group was really high XP and built for combat so not all groups may need that.
  • I ended up taking a lot of liberties with the main battle outside the compound, as that battle dragged on a lot longer than I intended it to. It may be worth going through and thinking of ways to simplify it down, as there were something like 13 combat actors at one point and management of that situation was a hassle.

I was in the process of converting this to a proper PDF with some of the fine folks on this forum, but life has gotten in the way of our ability to do it and I doubt it'll happen now. Hopefully it is useful enough as is!