Sign in to follow this  
Kalandros

Canadian Nationals - 2 terrible years in a row.

Last year Lion Rampant had the Nationals setup in a convention in which you had to pay convention entrance price and then tournament fee.

Only 26 showed up for the double door price.

This year, they decided Friday 1PM was a good idea to start the tournament at, with the top cut being Saturday.

If you got a job, you're not going. If you're not living close - you might waste your money by taking a room for friday to saturday, because if you don't make the cut, you probably won't want to stay and if you don't take a room and make it to the cut.. well its not high season but still.

Whoever organizes these really doesn't understand how the world works.

Edited by Kalandros

Yeah, the 1 PM start time is too late.

But starting on Friday and ending on Saturday for Top Cut? Very normal for an event that large. GenCon's going to have Day 1A on Thursday and 1B on Friday, with Day 2 on Saturday.

this isn't Gencon and with LR's attrocious administration of these events it will never be, they're completely removed from reality .

I agree with a lot of the comments so far.

Lion rampant is a piss poor of a distributor. Even our regional location had upset a lot of locals from my knowledge. Instead of having it more central so mire could attend they decided to have it on a store which just opened. Rather than a store that has so far held the biggest store championship in our area, and was more central for everyone to attend.

Not that there is anything wrong with the city it's in, but you'd think you'd want it in a place where you know numbers are high and easier access for people from different provinces to attend. Instead of a 2-3 hour drive, people will have to drive 4-6 hours.

When I saw it was on a Friday, and at 1 pm I thought typical lion rampant. Don't know jack **** from their assholes.

Having it on a Friday means it'll cost that much more if your traveling from away

Hotel, gas, food, anything else, on top of taking a full day off work? Wtf

Bunch if dumb asses if you ask me

Lion Rampart doesn't deserve to be Canada's official FFG distributor.

My vote is to make Tim Hortons the official FFG distributor in Canada.

Reporting from Michigan here not Canada, but man I love me some Tim Hortons.  And now the ones near me have added Cold Stone Creamery ice cream shops.  Donuts, hot cocoa AND premium ice cream?  Are you kidding me?  If they added X-Wing, my head would explode.

Edited by pickirk01

Reporting from Michigan here not Canada, but man I love me some Tim Hortons.  And now the ones near me have added Cold Stone Creamery ice cream shops.  Donuts, hot cocoa AND premium ice cream?  Are you kidding me?  If they added X-Wing, my head would explode.

Had a hazelnut iced cap on a hangover today. Heavenly.

When's this all? I hadn't even heard they set up a Canadian National this year.

I swear the lazy burgers at Lions Rampart just want to do the least amount of work possible and watch money flow in. When it doesn't they blame the players for not buying in.

The worst part is that the hangar bay event is on Sunday. So if you don't make the cut and want to play some more, you have a dead day in the middle (and an extra night at the hotel).

I considered going, and visiting Toronto with my family while I'm there, but my odds of making the cuts are just about nil and this renders the whole weekend pointless.

Timmys! Best donuts in Kandahar!

Would be a heck of a combo with X-wing.  

On topic: the number of seats seems pretty small for the event, but then I see how small the turnout was last year.  I'd like to come over from Michigan but I think I have a conflict -- though some of my FLGS gaming group is planning to make the trek.

They have said in the announcement capacity and times will increase with demand. The venue has plenty of space. It is possible eventually the event could be 200+ players and top 16 or 32 cut.

Right now the Facebook event has 69 people listed as going and 82 listed as interested. True some of those could be for the other FFG games but the majority are for X-Wing and the first block of 64 X-wing tickets will sell out in the first day if not hour when they become available at 5 on Monday.

I am glad it is a two day event rather than trying to cram it all in a single day that goes to the wee hours. This actually shows forward thinking on LR's part, I'm as surprised as anyone. The choice to hold the Swiss on a Friday is unexpected and certainly not ideal. So if players want to go they will have to make an additional concession.

I am glad it is a two day event rather than trying to cram it all in a single day that goes to the wee hours. This actually shows forward thinking on LR's part, I'm as surprised as anyone. The choice to hold the Swiss on a Friday is unexpected and certainly not ideal. So if players want to go they will have to make an additional concession.

I'm happy it's a two day event, I'd be happier if the hangar bay was the second day though, it would make the trip worth it for me.

They have said in the announcement capacity and times will increase with demand. The venue has plenty of space. It is possible eventually the event could be 200+ players and top 16 or 32 cut.

Right now the Facebook event has 69 people listed as going and 82 listed as interested. True some of those could be for the other FFG games but the majority are for X-Wing and the first block of 64 X-wing tickets will sell out in the first day if not hour when they become available at 5 on Monday.

Agreed, there are some very good things that LR has done. And yes, I expect tickets will go fast so if they follow through and adjust times and increase tickets it will go a long ways.

Being two days is also good with what should be the final tally of players I would expect would sign up.

The price is a bit high for my tastes but not outrageously so.

I may have let my previous dealings with LR taint my judgement last night which is unfair. I do have two concerns, but we will see what happens with them. The Friday start being one will unfortunately hit the final number of players. I'll need to really look hard at the schedule and see if I can pull it off. The second is the late announcement in a corner of the web I would never see otherwise. It's early enough that I'm sure word will spread to others like me that don't have Facebook.