Sign in to follow this  
HarryFel

Tactician + turrets = 360 range 2 stress?

Curious if this works. It says ..."against a ship inside your firing arc"...

Since a K-wing, for example, has a 360 degree firing arc, I suspect it works at range 2.

Thank you kindly.

The K-wing does not have a 360 degree firing arc; it has a firing arc and a turret that allows it to fire outside its firing arc.  

Rules reference, section "Turret Primary Weapon":

"When attacking with a turret primary weapon, a ship may target an enemy ship inside or outside its firing arc.  A ship with a turret primary weapon still has a printed firing arc that is not 360º."

Yes.

Thank you. Would this also be true of the YV-666's 180 degree firing arc?

As mentioned another yes.

When the next Wave hits and we see the Mobile Arc just how things will work is debated.  That ship still has a primary firing arc which of course will trigger Tactician.  After that there is a Mobile Arc which can be moved around.  I suspect that whatever arc the Mobile Arc is currently active in will also count "in arc" for things like Tactician but the other choices where the arc could be will remain out-of-arc.

Yes.

Thank you. Would this also be true of the YV-666's 180 degree firing arc?

As mentioned another yes.

When the next Wave hits and we see the Mobile Arc just how things will work is debated.  That ship still has a primary firing arc which of course will trigger Tactician.  After that there is a Mobile Arc which can be moved around.  I suspect that whatever arc the Mobile Arc is currently active in will also count "in arc" for things like Tactician but the other choices where the arc could be will remain out-of-arc.

That's my assumption, but I would hope this would be clarified in the rulebook for the ship/rules for mobile arcs.  It's SUCH an obvious question.

(Yes, that also includes the VCX100's auxiliary arc, whether or not the Phantom is docked or Torpedoes are loaded onto the ship)

I am going to preface this with telling everyone that I DO NOT have the Ghost so I am not sure of this idea but I am thinking you are wrong here in one aspect.  If the Phantom is not docked the Ghost can not fire primary weapon using the auxiliary arc so the auxiliary arc would not count for anything in that case.

(Yes, that also includes the VCX100's auxiliary arc, whether or not the Phantom is docked or Torpedoes are loaded onto the ship)

I am going to preface this with telling everyone that I DO NOT have the Ghost so I am not sure of this idea but I am thinking you are wrong here in one aspect.  If the Phantom is not docked the Ghost can not fire primary weapon using the auxiliary arc so the auxiliary arc would not count for anything in that case.

It might not be usable for Primary weapon attacks, but acts normal (because it's a printed arc, Primary, Secondary, Auxillary, Special snowflake arc or some other name)

It works with Tactician, Autothrusters, Zebb and other weird "when in arc" effects

You would be wrong, per the latest FAQ.

Any and all arcs printed on the base count for anything that just mentions 'arc' without any qualifiers.

It doesn't stop being printed on the base just because you can't use it.

Or for fluff reasons, it doesn't stop being possible to look out the window, just because you can't shoot out the window.

Edited by thespaceinvader

Any and all arcs printed on the base count for anything that just mentions 'arc' without any qualifiers.

Or for fluff reasons, it doesn't stop being possible to look out the window, just because you can't shoot out the window.

I understand the "doesn't stop being printed" part and honestly I wasn't thinking big enough.  My original thought was more along the lines of tactician not being able to be used in that case due to not being able to fire that direction when the shuttle was not docked.  But I forgot to include a turret secondary weapon being used and in that case then I agree that the other arc would still count.  Although I never really thought about the arc as "looking out the window" but more of a "gun is pointing in this direction" kind of way so that is an interesting way to look at it.

I understand the "doesn't stop being printed" part and honestly I wasn't thinking big enough.  My original thought was more along the lines of tactician not being able to be used in that case due to not being able to fire that direction when the shuttle was not docked.  But I forgot to include a turret secondary weapon being used and in that case then I agree that the other arc would still count.  Although I never really thought about the arc as "looking out the window" but more of a "gun is pointing in this direction" kind of way so that is an interesting way to look at it.

It could be both.  In some cases it makes sense for it to be looking out the window (ARC170, TIE/sf, Ghost), but less so in others (Firespray in particular).

I mentioned that because it's been successful as an analogy in the past.

Yeah, it's easy to forget sometimes that the Ghost can fire 360 in range 2 when it has a turret equipped, because of the fact that it's so often equipped with ABT which is range 1 only.

The 'gun pointed in this direction' bit doesn't work and confuses the issue, as this thread's existence demonstrates ;)