Sign in to follow this  
John Rainbow

Terrible Evade Dice Support Group

"Hi.

I'm Soontir Fel and this is my first time at the group.

Last night I was shot through an asteroid at range 3 with a stealth device. I blanked on all six of my evade dice and even with the Emperor's help I was critically hit. I drew a 'Major Explosion' into 'Direct Hit' and went down in one.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened but I'm finally admitting I need help."

Cue supportive comments and help from the group...

Edited by John Rainbow

Hello everyone, my name is Vessery and i'm a green dice victim...

Once at range3 through obstruction and with a stealth device AND a focus, i took 3 damage. Lost the stealth device and my shields. The stealth device probably would have saved me from the next attack that happened to be a direct hit crit. Before i could even do anything i was already forced to flee!

Every time i roll more than 3 greens, i wiff. Every. ****. Time.

The amount of GDSS (Green Dice Sorrow Syndrome) is directly proportionate to the amount of green dice rolled.  The higher the number of octahedrons rolled, the greater the subsequent feelings of betrayal and guilt. 

Take for example yesterdays foray.  Mini TIE swarm with Howlrunner and Crackshot.  Great reds.  Howlie was redundant.  Not a single evade rolled until I was left with one single TIE, who then suddenly grew a pair of titanic brass balls and finished of an Exposing Decimator before being trolled down by Carnor.  I flew perfectly, I used bumps to keep my formation where I wanted it and made extensive use of my repositioning abilities to deliver a 2 round hammer blow to the Deci.  I managed to save all my Crackshots for Carnor, but in the end I spent only one since all my other TIEs decided that since they had done so well on offense they could afford to flub out all their defense rolls.  The MVP of the match was actually a TIE Bomber, by virtue of having less die to frustrate with.

Hi, my name is Leebo.  Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to share my story.

​My wife wanted to play a game of X-wing, she wanted to fly the Falcon.  Did I tell her she couldn't have C3PO as a crew?  Yes, yes I did.  Did I then proceed to fly in my 2400 with CPO as a crew member.  You guessed it, I did.  After some fun times I had 2 hull remaining, and despite the fact that I actually guessed the proper number of evades with 3PO, and had a focus token, I rolled blank blank.  My wife landed a crit on me.  I know I know, "its OK" you say, your pilot ability will let you pick the less damaging crit card.  My choices were Direct Hit or Direct Hit.  Hard decision.  I went with Direct Hit.  Did I deserve it?  Pretty sure the answer is yes for telling my wife she couldn't have her shiny golden droid...then using him myself.  It still hurts, though.  

On behalf of the Inquisitor, now departed, a tale of bad greens.

In attempt to bring justice to Miranda flew into range one. Four natural red hits. It might sting a bit, but should not have been a big problem for the dark force user. Rolls dice, three green eyeballs. Sadly, there was no focus to be had nor any other evasion tactics left open. His foolish bravery will be remembered. For a little while, anyway.

I am a humble black squad tie fighter, I focus like I should but 2 X wings 1 hitted me 4 times over in the first 2 rounds of combat. Should 3 reds clean sweep 3 greens 4 times in a row with a focus to defend?

I lost Omega Leader at range 3 through a rock to a Juke FO. I'm still wondering if that barrel roll, giving me the range and the rock, was really the best choice over an evade or focus. Thankfully, Rexler was not similarly sick for that match and solo'ed those TIEs with his stealth device intact. <insert street cred of "I played Defenders before they were cool">

My green dice are known to choke, hard. It's still on me for not getting out of arc though, especially knowing I'll be betrayed. I don't generally agree with the "fly better" attitude, but that part of it is right, and shockingly bad dice are a reason to laugh at your poor decisions that lead to being in arc.

Whisper twice that I remember in the past

For sure

Once, range three, through a rock, cloaked and a focus, shot by a shuttle 3v6, 3 hits and 6 blanks, oh was a crit, direct hit

Second time same thing except three hits. It was an ion cannon (so only 5 dice through a rock) and right onto a rock

And a special mention to the Academy Pilot who backed by Howlrunner who shot at range 1 lands hit hit crit to my blanks greens, and yup another direct hit

Is anyone missing direct hits? Because I think I found Em all here

Needless to say the dice near ended up in the woods for the Bears one night

Edited by Krynn007

I really liked this topic, and I want to participate, but as I've not played X-Wing enough to have my own story... I'll talk about one thing that happened to me playing 40k (played Warhammer 40k for 6 years before moving to x-wing). Sorry if it's a bit off topic...

I once fielded an Ork Warboss (3 wounds) with Mega armour and a lucky stikk. Mega armour would allow me to only take damage if I rolled a 1 in a 6 side die, and the lucky Stikk would allow me to re-roll that feared 1. So, in order to take a wound, I'd have to roll at least 36 dice (average). Well, I proceeded to roll a 1, re-rolled with lucky stikk for another 1, so I suffered my first wound. Right after that I proceeded to roll another 1, re-rolled with lucky stikk for another 1, suffering my 2nd wound. As I started to feel like I could lose my most valuable character too soon, I decided to make a "Look out Sir" roll, which would allow the wound to be "suffered" by another model with a roll of 2 or higher. But I rolled ANOTHER 1, so I had to try to save it with the Warboss. Unfortunately, this wound could only be saved with a 4 or higher, but if I failed, I'd still be able to re-roll it with the lucky stikk. Couldn't do it, and my Ork Warboss died to the very first wounds he suffered.

What are the odds of rolling 1,1,1,1,1, and then not being able to get a 4 or higher in another 2 attempts? 

Do the math, there are more blanks on an evade die than an attack die.  This is a game of attrition and the best rolled evade dice are the dice that need not be rolled.  Ficklegreendice's little comedy has a truth.  If you are tired of watching your green dice fail you have two choices.  Option one, get better at avoiding fire arcs, but this is very hard and there is no way to always avoid being shot at.  Option two, take high shield/hull ships that don't rely on evade dice for survivability.

I try to be reasonable. I roughly understand dice averages and am understanding when a ship gets max evades or max blanks. It happens.

What angers me more than getting screwed by dice is getting screwed by certainties. If Soontir can turn a blank blank focus roll on 3 dice into 4 evades I'm just doomed.

I'll never forget the first time I took a phantom out to play. Took a potshot at range 3, from a Wedge; gain some lose some dice, but still managed to get about the worst crit I can think of for a phantom. Damaged cockpit, and down to one hull.Eternal frustration for several pained rounds of attempting, and failing, to get the line ups I needed against a turret y ensue.

Do the math, there are more blanks on an evade die than an attack die.  This is a game of attrition and the best rolled evade dice are the dice that need not be rolled.  Ficklegreendice's little comedy has a truth.  If you are tired of watching your green dice fail you have two choices.  Option one, get better at avoiding fire arcs, but this is very hard and there is no way to always avoid being shot at.  Option two, take high shield/hull ships that don't rely on evade dice for survivability.

Option 3: learn how to roll green dice better. Really, there's a trick to it. You've got to let them roll off your fingers about 2 cm above the play surface. Try it. You'll be amazed!

I'm a Scyk pilot. I'd like to tell you my story, but I know I'll just blow up before I even get the chance to start...

I know what you mean. As a humble cartel spacer, I'd love to tell stories of how I was blown out of my ship in the most unlikely circumstances, but it's happened so much that it all blurs together. And I know Serissu is a great flight instructor and all, but she just never seems to be there when I need her help.

I think it's time for custom dice!  Anyone ever look closely at their die faces?  Most blank faces are concave meaning less mass on that side which will cause the die to roll blanks more often than not.  I had 9 of each, now I only carry 6 and of those even a few are still malformed.