Sign in to follow this  
John Constantine

The Darkest Betrayal

But we JUST had The Lost Realm! Okay, I always thank having more guys only known by themselves in Saga Nightmare, but it just looks like they skipped the beneficial effects on Helm's Deep locations, which was cool because youmwas supposed to be in a part of a fortress designed to be inexpugnable.

It's an FFG blog post, not an AP title.  Marketing fluff and fanfic aren't wildly divergent in terms of their contribution to the internet and society.

The blog post itself doesn't use the phrase "darkest betrayal", though the allusion is clear -- betrayal is a common synonym for treason, and "darkest" is a reference to cranking up the difficulty.  The word "darkest" appears only in the title.

Could an equally pithy phrase have been found from the text?  Not that comes to mind readily.  I don't believe "Treason of Saruman" is found in the text, though Gandalf comes close:

"Nothing that we have endured of late has seemed so grievous as the treason of Isengard."

I like that better than the  flavor quote than the article used, but that's just my personal preference, and it's all marketing fluff except for the part from Caleb and the spoiled cards anyway.

More interesting to me is that one of the nightmare cards has the same title (Rain of Arrows) as a player card.  Has this happened before?

The original quests are tough enough that I doubt I'll be getting the nightmare version anytime soon.

Amarthiul, Faramir, Arwen, Grima, and Gildor, have Objective versions and player card versions, if that counts.

Definitely looking forward to new nightmares, although I do wish they'd slow the pace a little and wait until the original quests have become too easy. I think most players still find they can pose a decent challenge.

It's an FFG blog post, not an AP title.  Marketing fluff and fanfic aren't wildly divergent in terms of their contribution to the internet and society.

The blog post itself doesn't use the phrase "darkest betrayal", though the allusion is clear -- betrayal is a common synonym for treason, and "darkest" is a reference to cranking up the difficulty.  The word "darkest" appears only in the title.

Could an equally pithy phrase have been found from the text?  Not that comes to mind readily.  I don't believe "Treason of Saruman" is found in the text, though Gandalf comes close:

"Nothing that we have endured of late has seemed so grievous as the treason of Isengard."

I like that better than the  flavor quote than the article used, but that's just my personal preference, and it's all marketing fluff except for the part from Caleb and the spoiled cards anyway.

More interesting to me is that one of the nightmare cards has the same title (Rain of Arrows) as a player card.  Has this happened before?

The original quests are tough enough that I doubt I'll be getting the nightmare version anytime soon.

The Treason of Saruman doesn't have to be a quote. It's a description of an event. Saruman commits treason (does the White Council form a true legal entity? I'm not sure Eru will accept that technicality when it goes to trial).

The Darkest Betrayal is a betrayal that must have taken place at night, but it wasn't just dark it was the darkest. No betrayal has ever taken such low-light conditions before.

Edited by Edheliad