Sign in to follow this  
Parakitor

Pokemon GO!

Yup Snorlaxes and vaporeons are king right now around here. Exeggutors are up there too since they are easy to level and are a counter to vaporeons. There is no great counter to Snorlaxes though since Normal is really only weak against fighting and most fighting pokemon are just bad. 

Exeggutors are easy to level up?  I think I've seen 3-4 in my area.  

NYC had a lot of Zubats and my trip helped me get one evolved.

I don't find enough grass pokemon to evolve and power them up enough to really fight the water guys.  I am getting there, but I wouldn't say it's fast.  

I find myself short on pixie dust...or whatever that stuff is that lets me power up guys.

Man, I need my kids with me when I go to take gyms.  Yellow team has been capturing every gym in my area.  There is one that is lvl 9 with all of them about 1000 CP!  There is one in my gym with 3 Pokemon that I was able to capture, but I was only able to put one up.  I wasn't able to sit and build it up myself.  I didn't have enough healing potions to heal all my guys after it.  Of course, it's back Yellow this morning.    

My neighbor got into it.  He's really new and works night, but his kids can use his phone sometimes.  Maybe if he gets better we can find a time to go take that gym.  Get both of my kids, as well.   It's at the neighborhood pool, so maybe while the kids are swimming, I can sit there and build up the prestige.  

EDIT:   OH!!!!!!!!     I knew something was off.  The special attacks.  Once your power bar is built up, you press the enemy and hold it down and it does the special attack.   How the nerf am I supposed to know that one?  I mean, where does it tell you this?  Man....I would've done much much better if I had known that one!   Well, at least I do now.   Maybe it helps some of you guys.

Edited by heychadwick

pokego seems to like graveyards for some reason...

My guess is the came counts them amongst public space/local landmark, but I'd like to think it's due to ghost pokemon. ;)

I watched a video by some of the playtesters, and they discovered that Ghost-type Pokemon are not more common in graveyards than other places. I thought that was a sensitive choice by the company. But to hear that there are Pokestops, and even gyms there? Yeah, I'm not such a fan.

The worst one I've found is in a secluded garden at a church. It's very peaceful, and when I went to check it out there was an old lady meditating/praying on a park bench in front of a large statue of the Virgin Mary. Now, I don't personally feel that Mary was any more divine than you or me (but probably a whole lot more righteous), but it still felt like I was intruding on something very sacred. So I have opted to skip that stop as I make my rounds. The Mormon Temple in Indianapolis has no PokeStops or Gyms, so I know the company is sensitive about removing locations, perhaps upon request.

I believe they have removed several locations here in the Netherlands, such as hospitals or railroads.

There is one gravestone where you can get Pikachu, a young boy who was a big fan of Pokemon is buried there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3690293/Pokemon-player-visits-grave-little-brother-favourite-character-game-Pikachu-spots-creature-headstone.html

Semi-off topic, semi-related... Anybody using an iPhone SE for Pokémon? I'm actually starting to consider a cell phone, and while not a primary factor, it would be nice to know that the screen size isn't too small!

Got a gym and three stops within five minute walk from home. Pity the server is overloaded from the time I get off work till 9pm at night.

I never paid much attention to pokemon. I knew it was a CCG and a cartoon, but other than that?

Same here.  Well, I've kids that have watched the show a few times and I know a little bit, but not much, really.  

I watched a video by some of the playtesters, and they discovered that Ghost-type Pokemon are not more common in graveyards than other places. I thought that was a sensitive choice by the company. But to hear that there are Pokestops, and even gyms there? Yeah, I'm not such a fan.

The worst one I've found is in a secluded garden at a church. It's very peaceful, and when I went to check it out there was an old lady meditating/praying on a park bench in front of a large statue of the Virgin Mary. Now, I don't personally feel that Mary was any more divine than you or me (but probably a whole lot more righteous), but it still felt like I was intruding on something very sacred. So I have opted to skip that stop as I make my rounds. The Mormon Temple in Indianapolis has no PokeStops or Gyms, so I know the company is sensitive about removing locations, perhaps upon request.

They either have or are getting a website where you can submit to have a Poke Place taken down.  The big deal was at the Holocaust museum in DC.  I do think that's wrong.  I think there are places that can be bad and I think it's great that you can submit them.

I tend to disagree about cemeteries, though.  Most of the time the places marked are statues or ornate tombs.  These were built to be seen by the living.  These are monuments to people that were once alive so that the living can see them.  Many of these are older ones for people long dead with no living family.  This gets actual real people out to see their tombs.  It's what it was built for.  Sure, they are out there for a Pokemon game, but how often do you think people might pause and look at the tombs and think about the person buried within?  I know there is a cemetery near my work and one of the Poke Stops is the headstone of a  WWII pilot, complete with details of the guys life.  I know I actually googled the guy to learn more.  Even just having some random Pokemon player going there and reading the tombstone is probably a good thing.  

If the cemetery is still having funerals and such, then it's bad form to do them when there are people there.  That's bad form.  I can see those being removed or at least players having respect.   

Good point. Tying people back to history and people that actually existed is a plus in my book. I love when there are cool details at the PokeStop. For example, there is a PokeStop at a tree here on campus that was planted as a seed that had traveled around the earth in a space shuttle. How cool is that!?

Edited by Parakitor

People are idiots as well though. If you walk on a railroad you deserve to get hit by a train, and if you are so insensitive as to play a game when visiting Auschwitz...

Though Nintentdo deserves to be kicked hard as well for even creating spawnpoints in those kinds of places.

Agreed about the idiots!  Who plays while driving?  Or some kid went INTO someone's house to find a Pokemon and got shot.  It's just upping the Darwin Awards criteria.  

Nintendo didn't do the points, though.  That's all the Google sub company.  They were from Ingress.  Some were automatically put in, but many were submitted by players.  Their guidelines for submission are:

• A LOCATION WITH A COOL STORY, A PLACE IN HISTORY OR EDUCATIONAL VALUE
    • Interesting story behind the location/object
    • Historical significance (apart from just being old)
  • A COOL PIECE OF ART OR UNIQUE ARCHITECTURE
    • Statues, paintings, mosaics, light installations, etc.
    • Venues that showcase fine art (e.g., performance art theaters and museums)
    • Buildings designed by renowned architects/structures famous specifically for their architecture
  • A HIDDEN GEM OR HYPER-LOCAL SPOT
    • A popular local spot that you would take a friend visiting your community for the first time
    • A popular spot where locals gather, but may be lesser-known outside the community
    • Tourist spots that showcase local flavor and culture and that make your city/neighborhood unique
    • More off-the-beaten-path tourist attractions (i.e., if you weren’t a local, you wouldn’t necessarily know to go here)
    • Adventurous tourist attractions - think lookout towers, observatories, signs or markers atop mountain peaks, etc.

It's Nintendo's game, their responsibility and their reputation. They should've excluded stuff like hospitals from the start. 

Or police stations. 

Off-ramps from highways.

And would it have been that difficult to just stop the app from functioning when travelling at high speeds?

It's Nintendo's game, their responsibility and their reputation.

It's Nintendo's license. Still their reputation. Nintendo didn't code up this one but it won't prevent their reputation getting tarnished when controversial spots are tagged.

Somehow I doubt shutting down the game at driving speeds would prevent these same drivers from looking at their phone for other reasons. That said, the crazies are coming out of the woodwork with this game. Broke into the Toledo zoo? Told police  "gotta catch them all" when they were arrested?  Seriously?

I don't get the anti hospital stuff.  I mean, they shouldn't be allowed in areas they aren't allowed in, but otherwise, why not?  I've read that some kids in the hospital were really into the game.  There was even some effort to try to put Lures on the Poke Stops there so kids in hospitals could play it while there.

Actually they have attempted to remove highways as spawn points. Most of the accidents arent on the big highways though. For example, one was in downtown Baltimore and the kid hit a police car. needless to say he is not going to be playing anymore. 

They actually did attempt to take other things out of the game like schools for example.

About Pokémon battles. Have any of you tried using the dodge function? I've dodged a few attacks, but I can't do it reliably. As such, it comes off as a waste of time, and my Pokémon do better if I just mash buttons, i.e. tap as fast as I can. I think getting the timing right on dodging will be crucial in taking down tough opponents.

By the way, is it even possible to dodge your opponent's charged moves. I haven't successfully dodged those yet.

I've tried to randomly throw in dodges, but it usually doesn't do diddly.  I should probably pay attention to the guy to see if he's gearing up for a super attack.  Those are worth evading.  Then again, now that I actually know how to do my super attack, I think combat will go a lot easier.  I have looked to see which of my guys have easy super attacks that also do a lot of damage.  I'm looking forward to trying them out.  At the moment, I am absolutely out of all healing potions.  I haven't even been able to heal up all my guys from the last battle.  There is a Poke Stop just down the hallway from work and I need to remind myself to just pop down there every 5 min.  

So.....I'm off to do that now!

EDIT:  Also, I find myself starting to prefer this sub-forum to the main one at times.  

Edited by heychadwick

In case you haven't heard, there is a bug that has broken the GPS location mechanic for zeroing in on Pokémon nearby. No word yet from Niantic acknowledging the bug, let alone when they'll fix it. Here's hoping it's sooner than later.

I don't get the anti hospital stuff.  I mean, they shouldn't be allowed in areas they aren't allowed in, but otherwise, why not?  I've read that some kids in the hospital were really into the game.  There was even some effort to try to put Lures on the Poke Stops there so kids in hospitals could play it while there.

I think the general idea behind it is that big influxes of people create a variety of problems. Hospitals are already busy places and don't really need people who have no reason other than catching Pokemon to be there clogging up the atrium and hallways. They also don't need the unwashed masses bringing germs and such into a place with many highly susceptible people. I spent a lot of time in a hospital as a kid so I can definitely appreciate that the kids inside want/need some sort of distraction but I think the decision not to allow it is wise.

Edited by McFoy

I went to go get a salad from the breakroom and noticed the gym downstairs was blue with room for more Pokemon!  I zipped down before my next conf. call and threw a guy in there.  Not sure how long it will stay, but I got a coin for it.  I think I've got 6 now and working my way towards the backpack.  

I've been evolving some not-so-common pokemon and using only the super best ones.  I've gotten some good results!  I also used the naming trick to turn my best Eevee into the one I don't have: Vaperon.  I spent most of my stardust to get my Gloom up, but he's still only 565 CP.

1169 - Vaperon

827 - Venomoth

799 - Golduck

785 - Flareon

744 - Pinsir

721 - Jolteon

Oh....my guy got bumped out already.   Still, got my coin!