Sign in to follow this  
Parakitor

Pokemon GO!

My biggest concern with Pokemon GO is that it is run (in part or in whole) by Niantic.  Don't get me wrong, Niantic is a great spin-off company from Google.  They run Ingress. This seems to progress along the same path and use the same data (and I think it is interesting that the best portal I created was a train on campus and it is now a Gym in Pokemon GO).  Early levels are good, but it gets extreme what you have to do to keep stuff in Ingress.  Gym ownership is going to be a pain (either to the wallet... or to the... bah... let's be honest... you probably can't bike enough to keep a gym in good shape at top tiers).  One thing that seems to be an advantage is that it is three teams instead of two (though even harder to keep stuff) and that you can only contribute one pokemon per gym (where Ingress is tiered based on the level of the portal).  

It still makes me want to get out in the summer heat on my bike, so maybe it is a positive, I'm just leery of Niantic fingerprints.

Holding multiple gyms will be a chore, but as long as you can take one gym a day and the same time each day, you'll at least get a collect bonus every day. Gyms don't level up the pokemon themselves so it seems like a side quest to the main game.

I'm level 10 and my circle diameter thingy seems to keep getting a hair larger every level. Does that trend continue? Will my ring be huge at lvl 20/30/40?

Holding multiple gyms will be a chore, but as long as you can take one gym a day and the same time each day, you'll at least get a collect bonus every day. Gyms don't level up the pokemon themselves so it seems like a side quest to the main game.

I'm level 10 and my circle diameter thingy seems to keep getting a hair larger every level. Does that trend continue? Will my ring be huge at lvl 20/30/40?

The size actually depends on the pokemon I think. I just hit 20 and its really the color that you need to watch out for.... and Zubats....******* Zubats... 

Also, I am getting GREAT! and NICE! and EXCELLENT! when i throw, but it doesn't seem to matter when i throw? If anything it looks like the goal is in the middle.

Edited by Timathius

I mean the pulsing ring when walking around, not the one while capturing. At level 1 it barely covered my apartment, now at lvl 10 it covers almost my whole apartment building. Will it cover the block at lvl 30?

AH that is a bit different. I am not sure TBH, I haven't been keeping track. Mine covers almost a whole block I think? If I were to stand dead center.

So after manually disabling Pokémon Go's full access to my google account - it simply gave itself full access again the very next time I logged in.    Guess I'm done with pokemon. 

Can't you create a Pokemon account and use that to log in instead? I tried to do that at first, but couldn't remember my password.

That's what I did

Aaaand here. We. Go:

Pokemon go player finds dead body

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36757858/pokemon-go-player-finds-dead-body-in-wyoming-river-while-searching-for-a-pokestop

Welp, don't think that ever happened in the cartoons!

Ash never actually caught pokemon in the cartoon either. Maybe once or twice, but his pokedex was like Seen 151: Caught 5

So after manually disabling Pokémon Go's full access to my google account - it simply gave itself full access again the very next time I logged in.    Guess I'm done with pokemon. 

Tech details about the Google permissions thing, for interested parties.  https://gist.github.com/arirubinstein/fd5453537436a8757266f908c3e41538 

iOS users should go to the App Store and update their app, as it recently fixed the Google scope issue. (They also fixed crashes and other things.)

Edited by ffgMolly

Aaaand here. We. Go:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36757858/pokemon-go-player-finds-dead-body-in-wyoming-river-while-searching-for-a-pokestop

Ash never actually caught pokemon in the cartoon either. Maybe once or twice, but his pokedex was like Seen 151: Caught 5

That's ok, the whole thing was a plan of his mom and doc oak  to get him out of the house anyway.  ;)

OK....so I am now LVL 7.  I am staying with my brother in NJ and working from his house (while he also WFH) while my family goes on vacation to stuff nearby.  I got my brother into it.  We both got to lvl 7.  We leveled up on collecting stuff that we could grab from his house.  There are a ton of Pigeo things, the Rat things, and the Worm things.  I was even able to capture a wild lvl 3 Pigeot.  I transferred a lot of the little guys and fed the candy to him to boost him up to 80% or so.  He's now CP 338.  I've also leveled 2 other Pigeo things to Pigeotto (lvl 2) that were natively further along the progress bar than my lvl 3 guy.  So......collecting all the little guys, but not having the time to go out to the Poke Stops had out of balls later in the day.  

Last night we were able to get to a gym and choose Team BLUE.  Excellent.   We tried to mess with the gym, but the servers were crapping out at that point.  I find that around 8-9 PM EST that the game servers just can't deal with it.   We went by a bunch of churches and other stuff and I was able to grab 40 more balls.  I also found a gym guarded by a weak pokemon, so I bashed him and took it over.  I don't think I healed my guys before I stuffed them in and in a few hours, they were back in my collection.  Bleh.   

My son got back last night from a mini trip with the rest of the family and he's using my wife's phone.  My daughter is playing, too.  We all need to take a car ride at some point to hit more poke stops and get more balls.  I loved saying things like, "I really want to play the game, but I just don't have enough balls".  

So....what is native to your area?  My brother's neighborhood has a ton of Pigeo guys, Worms, and Rats.  I've gotten a couple Staryus, Paras, and the dead fish thing.  I got only one Ghastly, Slowpoke, Polliwag, Squirtle, Zubat, Bellsprout, Tentacool, and Caterpie.  I've read that certain ones spawn in certain areas.  What do you guys get?

I'm going to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty on Thursday.  I've also ordered extra cell phone battery chargers from Amazon Prime Day that should be here today.  We should go out in force to wreck it.  We need to go out tonight to collect as many poke balls as possible.  Then, use some incense like crazy at all the public spots tomorrow.  I hope to pull in a lot.

My son did find out that if you run away from the very first pokemon battle that you will eventually get Pikachu, which is what he did.  

Edited by heychadwick

@Heychadwick: That is so awesome!

I get a lot of Weedle, Caterpie, Pidgey and Rattata. I also have quite a few Eevee in my neighborhood, so I was finally able to evolve one, and got Jolteon. At CP 533, he's currently my strongest Pokemon.

We have a Celery Bog nature preserve just a block away, so we can catch Magikarp and Slowpoke, and I'm hoping to catch lots more Water-type Pokemon. Purdue University is covered with PokeStops along the main mall, so I can fill up on Pokeballs pretty easy just walking around for half an hour. That's pretty convenient.

Those initial four are pretty common everywhere. EEvEEs are also pretty common I have 3 vaporeons 2 Jolteons and 1 Flareon ranging from 790-1330 the Nido family is pretty common as well. 

If I may make a suggestion do NOT evolve anything until you have enough to take it straight up to its final form. Otherwise in the time between when you evolve and then do it again your going to catch much higher base pokemon and hate yourself.... Stupid Weepingbell.

Those initial four are pretty common everywhere. EEvEEs are also pretty common I have 3 vaporeons 2 Jolteons and 1 Flareon ranging from 790-1330 the Nido family is pretty common as well. 

If I may make a suggestion do NOT evolve anything until you have enough to take it straight up to its final form. Otherwise in the time between when you evolve and then do it again your going to catch much higher base pokemon and hate yourself.... Stupid Weepingbell.

I second this suggestion. My Jolteon was evolved from the last Eevee I caught to get the 25th candy. All my previous Eevee were below CP 150, but the final Eevee was 206.

Man, just got a car and drove around to hit Poke Stops and have my son hit a gym to pick a team.  The server was messing up and we missed half the Poke Stops due to it not working.  Also, he missed putting his Pokemon to guard a gym due to his phone freezing.  Stinks that we are trying to get stuff done and it keeps messing up.  Before it was just during the evening hours, but now it's messing up all the time.  Stinks when I have a very limited time to go hit these stops.  

I was driving and then pulling over.  It was going nuts.  App would lock up or act weird.  Like, you click on the PokeStop and it zooms in....but never shows the picture and never lets you spin it.  Kill the app....and it won't come up again.  Or...it wants you to log in and comes back with server error screen.  

Aaaand here. We. Go:

Oh, they found one here in the Netherlands as well.

Things are getting out of hand though, people walking into hospital rooms, on the hard shoulder of highways, on the rails.

Nintendo just plonked them down anywhere without regards of where.

Aaaand here. We. Go:

Oh, they found one here in the Netherlands as well.

Things are getting out of hand though, people walking into hospital rooms, on the hard shoulder of highways, on the rails.

yeah I read that but (at the time) found no englisch article to link to. There were also two kids who rescued someone from drowning and they wouldn't have been there if it wasn't for pokego.

So far it seems to be going both ways:

For each person who crashes their car and gets hurt because they got distracted (not exclusive to pokego btw)

there are people rescuing other folk, finding corpses and catching burglars.

https://consumerist.com/2016/07/13/walmart-employees-on-break-play-pokemon-go-outside-of-store-catch-burglar-instead/

Is it me or is that game causing people to move in odd paterns? I mean break from routine and go places they normally wouldn't? What do you gamers think?

Don't complain to loudly about that, pretty soon it might start luring people to the local McDonalds...

https://consumerist.com/2016/07/13/is-pokemon-go-partnering-with-mcdonalds/

Possible code in the game to turn every Mickey D's into a gym. Golden Arch gym badge anyone?

Don't complain to loudly about that, pretty soon it might start luring people to the local McDonalds...

https://consumerist.com/2016/07/13/is-pokemon-go-partnering-with-mcdonalds/

Possible code in the game to turn every Mickey D's into a gym. Golden Arch gym badge anyone?

Oh, companies are scrambling to get their location listed. 

I saw a conversation on Twitter today with William Gibson about how it might impact the value of your house.

As he put it:

Next up: Augmented Realty, the cyberspace associated with your real estate