Sign in to follow this  
orc_ugly

FFG magazine

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking for a while that it would be cool if FFG did a monthly or even bi-monthly magazine. You could go in depth with the latest games, have more scenerios for say some of the roleplaying games, have sneak peaks at upcoming games and also have something like a battle report (for those that read white dwarf) where players play out the game and we see what they do along the way strategies etc. Does anyone else think this would be a cool idea or am I alone?

Got to say I too agree.

I think it would be a great step forward for FFG. Maybe initially have it as a quarterly release.

Just looking at upcoming releases and new varients for existing games would be great.

A magazine would be great, but seeing as they are the only boardgame/rpg/ccg/lcg/minis/book publishing company that pretty much updates their site daily with news and articles, a mag might be a little redundant. Most company game sites update every few weeks or months it seems. FFG really makes an effort, which I'm sure costs at least time, to make this site great. I'm good if they just keep this up.

I posted this a while ago - and did a recent segment on The Dice Tower about it  - here is a forum thread from the Dice Tower guild on BGG about the topic as well: http://www.geekdo.com/thread/475731/got-to-agree-with-giles-ffg-need-a-magazine

Obviously therefore - I totally agree Orc_Ugly!! :D And there are others out there as crazy as we are apparently!

I would love to subscribe to a magazine produced by FFG!

I agree FFG produces great content here online.  But a magazine would be a neat way of communicating with fans, of supporting older/newer scenario based games cheaply and promoting upcoming games.  I check the FFG site daily - but there is stil something neat about holding a printed copy of a glossy magazine.  Plus I can flip through it on the train, laying in bed at night, sitting on the couch, at work during my break and so forth!

I would subscribe!

Cheers,

Giles.

I think the idea of them making a magazine is a truly horrible idea.

Thats not to say I wouldnt enjoy and subscribe to one, but for FFG to do this screams of wasteful resources.

Allow me to explain.

GW has had a gaming magazine for approximately 30 years now. It went from being a gaming magazine covering many RPG and some board games to what we have now which is merely a catalogue that GW have the brass to charge customers for.

What would an FFG mag offer? FFG has a wide and varied collection of licensed intellectual property from many areas of the gaming world. In order for them to make a successful magazine that not only promotes their own products (ala GW's example) they would have to make sure that the companies that they license from play nice with one another.

As we all know, Games Workshop does not play nice with others. They think (and promotoe others to beleive this as well) that there are no other games outside of the GW 'hobby'. Do you honestly think FFG will be able to have a successful magazine with licenses such as GW? Highly improbable.

That aside, they would have to dedicate resources to magazine content, editing, printing, etc. Why do that when you can just update your very own website where their customers already gather without worrying about production overhead? Answer: You don't.

I think FFG is just fine with what they are doing now, which is making great games for their consumers.