Sign in to follow this  
Lordtwann

Sigh.. three days of fubar Worlds sign ups. I tried.

i was top 16 worlds last year, was qualified through czech nationals last year, didn't get a ticket at all 3 occasions...friend of mine open winner in Naboo the same (we both hail from europe) so if we don't win nationals its nothing for us...at least we save ~1200 USD for flight and accomodation each...

Edited by xarathornx

No, it should be an invitational event. We've got what, 350 seats available a day? Make it so only the top so many regional/national players, with a lottery for any seats who can't make it.

This.

Worlds should be invite only. Regional Champions and Top8 of Nationals get invited, something like that.

I am aware of several top players that still don't have a ticket.  How can it be called the X-Wing World Championship when some of the best get frozen out? :(

Do you have a reserved ticket from winning a regional or did you have to battle for a ticket like everyone else?

I think it should have been top 16 from the big nationals (US, Canada, Euro, Aussieland and NA) , top 2 or 4 from regionals and the other nationals. and then store champions from there. (there would also be a lot of overlap here) then open up to every one else. Making it sort of like Champions league qualification, where the harder events/leagues get more bids and then it works its way down. 

Edited by Timathius

This year has been horrible, no doubt. It's embarrassing.

However a couple of things, FFGs philosophy has never been to make Worlds an exclusive event by ranking (maybe that will change and it probably should if this is the demand and they aren't willing to change spaces) and remember that the next Worlds is a significant change with a full week dedicated to Star Wars in May (though I'd guess it will still be packed). So while this year felt similar, and worse in a lot of ways, to last year, there are improvements coming that were in the works after last year's Worlds.

No, it should be an invitational event. We've got what, 350 seats available a day? Make it so only the top so many regional/national players, with a lottery for any seats who can't make it.

This is more of what I'd like to see for the main event.  More qualifiers so there are more reserved spots, then hold a last qualifier at the location before the event to fill out any leftover seats.  Tickets to the final qualifier are done by lottery.  This would be way more fair and wouldn't result in people taking off work to look at crashed web pages.

On the competitive scene the only other game I have experience with is Mage Knight and this is how they did it.  There was a qualifier event, similar in scope to the store championships and the winner got an invite to nationals.  This resulted in a smaller pool of players for Nationals which I think is ok.  You actually had to earn your place there.  And then they held I believe two last minute qualifiers before the event to fill in the spaces of those who couldn't make it.

I think this can be folded into the existing structure FFG has by making SC the qualifier and Regional wins being an automatic pass to the elimination rounds, or stay as a first round bye.  Regionals would also be a qualifier.  

Just a couple ideas.  I love this game, I really do.  Which is why I get so frustrated with this crap every year from FFG.  Their tournament structure is just bad and I want them to fix it so the game can keep getting better and better.

Curious....how do other games handle tracking winners?  is there a specific ID applied to persons?  Would this be something provided to the TO when playing Store Championships and up?  Would email suffice?

In my opinion, Worlds should be a mix of performance reward and open invitational.

Each Category gets first dibs on signing up along with a graduated releasing of positions if not claimed - in reverse order

Category A 

National Winner

Regional Winner

Category B

Nationals Top 16

Regionals Top 4

Store Championship Winner

Category C

Non-USA participants

Nationals Top 32

Regionals Top 16

Store Championship Top 8

Category D

Open Invitation

I agree that Worlds should be invitation only.

• All Store Champs
  • Top 4 at Regionals
  • Top 8 at Nationals
Fill in empty and passed slots from lottery pool.

You can't include Store Champions from that list. That's such a huge number of people, when you take all the countries into account. It just doesn't work, there's likely not even enough seats in the building! Regional Champions and Top 4 from Nationals, maybe.

Edited by floof

As a person who would not make it if it was invite only first, I definitely think that's how it should be at least to start. However you decide who gets first dibs can be decided by someone else. Let all those people claim seats then have a lottery for everyone else until spots are filled.

When your method for registration is so bad that even the Gencon hotel registration system bailed on it, you know you're doing something wrong.

On the other end, I'm sure not a single one of us would like it, but economics says when your demand is greater than your supply you should raise your price.

there are 500ish seats up for grabs, in The US there were something like 100 store champs. so lets be generous and say 100 for europe and 50 for Australia. That still leaves 250 spots.

Grossly underestimating the amount of events "in Europe", I think. London just hosted the largest ever tournament in the Yavin Open a few weeks back. :)

Source: European

Edited by floof

there are 500ish seats up for grabs, in The US there were something like 100 store champs. so lets be generous and say 100 for europe and 50 for Australia. That still leaves 250 spots.

Grossly underestimating the amount of events "in Europe", I think. London just hosted the largest ever tournament in the Yavin Open a few weeks back. :)

Still 500 spots should be more than enough, especially when you consider not everyone can come.

Store championships=/= Yavin. There are a limited number of store championship kits that get sent out. Though I think I did grossly under estimate the US amounts. 

So lets say you drop store champs then and increase regionals to top 8 and the large nationals to top 16. 

Regardless, you should have to play your way into a worlds event. 

Edited by Timathius

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/worlds-registration-issues/

This is a fill-out form for registration issues at World's.  If you were able to get tickets, they would like it filled out, as well, so they can try and determine where the issues were.

edit:  The link should work now.

Edited by shadowswalker

This is a fill-out form for registration issues at World's.  If you were able to get tickets, they would like it filled out, as well, so they can try and determine where the issues were.

edit:  The link should work now.

dont know why but the link is not working

Completed mine.

Edited by Timathius

The best solution, IMO, is for FFG to host more tournaments and more events around the world: more more more.

I think FFG should host the Regionals, officially. Maybe every competitive player won't be struggling to buy a ticket to Worlds if their area had a big Regionals to quench "the thirst" for premiere tournaments. Maybe then I could imagine myself attending.

I can't even think of spending THAT much money for airfare, hotel, etc. just to attend Worlds.

The best solution, IMO, is for FFG to host more tournaments and more events around the world: more more more.

I think FFG should host the Regionals, officially. Maybe every competitive player won't be struggling to buy a ticket to Worlds if their area had a big Regionals to quench "the thirst" for premiere tournaments. Maybe then I could imagine myself attending.

I can't even think of spending THAT much money for airfare, hotel, etc. just to attend Worlds.

Agree.  24 regionals is a joke

I agree that Worlds should be invitation only.

• All Store Champs
  • Top 4 at Regionals
  • Top 8 at Nationals

Fill in empty and passed slots from lottery pool.

A very rough and quick tally of the FFG 2015 SC location list gives over 600 locations, almost half that from the US alone and I'm quite sure that the list isn't complete.

Agree.  24 regionals is a joke

No it's not. Regionals used to be like Store Championships. That was a joke. But then they had the explosion in OP play, so they made what is currently known as Regionals. 

And considering Store Champs are glorified locals, I don't see why they deserve a seat at Worlds. Unless you plan on completely excluding walk ups, which is a horrendous idea.