Sign in to follow this  
nickv2002

Cool Stuff Inc IA Sale through July 10th

I do not need more Wing Guards.

OK.  I'm good now.

Ugh! Why couldn't this have been a week sooner?! I just bought BG and ISBs at full cost! Plus my friend who really wants to get the game, but is leary because of the price is going out of town this weekend!

Thank you so much for sharing this!  I enjoy buying at my local game store to support them and have dropped plenty of money there, but there is a lot of stuff I pushed off because I was on the fence about it's value - this was my opportunity to buy all those without buyer's remorse.  I got my free shipping all right!

Well, I had only bought $84 in stuff and then I looked at the shipping cost.  Well, had to go ahead and get a few more things.  I didn't think shipping would be that much.  Anyyway, I'm glad Coolstuff did this.  It was the motivation I needed.  My local game store had some figures, but once they sold he never replaced them.  I went in to see if new stuff was there and all he had was the box set for $100 and Hoth Troopers.

Well, I had only bought $84 in stuff and then I looked at the shipping cost.  Well, had to go ahead and get a few more things.  I didn't think shipping would be that much.  Anyyway, I'm glad Coolstuff did this.  It was the motivation I needed.  My local game store had some figures, but once they sold he never replaced them.  I went in to see if new stuff was there and all he had was the box set for $100 and Hoth Troopers.

Wow, a box set for $100. That is a serious gouge!

Everyone always says you should buy from your local game store... but those local game stores charge such ridiculous prices for their stuff.

Everyone always says you should buy from your local game store... but those local game stores charge such ridiculous prices for their stuff.

Yes, some of them sure do!  It just seems foolish, honestly; they're pricing themselves out of the market and driving away customers, and then complaining when nobody shops there.

I really appreciate it when a local store tries to meet its customers half way.  As we all know, obviously most brick and mortar stores have more expenses than an online store, and therefore less profit margins, etc, so I don't think it's fair to expect to find Amazon's or Coolstuff's or Miniature Market's pricing at the local store.  But asking something at least a little lower than MSRP is nice; it tells me as a customer that the owner understands and is doing his best to be fair.  

Furthermore, since I've started playing at a local store recently, I want to start buying there; it's a huge help that the store has fair prices.  He's also a great guy who loves the game and enthusiastically plays it himself.  In fact, he even recently moved his scheduled date for an upcoming tournament so that I and my boys could attend (we would've been out of town for the date he was originally planning).  My point is that when you find an awesome store like this, you really want to buy there.  And it becomes a no-brainer when the owner of the store charges realistic prices for the product.  I truly wish that everyone could find a store as cool as the one I've found!  (If you live in northern New Jersey please Message me, and I'll connect you with this store!)

EDIT:

Summary statement: In the end, I think that if local stores are going to "work" for the gaming community, then both store owners and gamers need to meet in the middle.  I've ordered 1 each of Obiwan/Greedo/Inquisitor from Miniature Market...and since I have 3 boys who play and they're all going to be using these figures all the time, I've also asked my store owner to set aside another copy of each for me to pick up the next time I'm at the store.  The interesting part?  I think that both purchases will be very close in price in the end, including the shipping costs from MM.

Edited by thereisnotry

EDIT:

Summary statement: In the end, I think that if local stores are going to "work" for the gaming community, then both store owners and gamers need to meet in the middle.  I've ordered 1 each of Obiwan/Greedo/Inquisitor from Miniature Market...and since I have 3 boys who play and they're all going to be using these figures all the time, I've also asked my store owner to set aside another copy of each for me to pick up the next time I'm at the store.  The interesting part?  I think that both purchases will be very close in price in the end, including the shipping costs from MM.

The cost will be nearly the same now that MM isn't allowed to discount as much as they used to.  You bought three items, $5.95 shipping would add about $2 each for shipping, and they now are only allowed to discount about 15%.  So the total discount per figure MM provided was $1.50 off MSRP, the shipping added about $2 back, meaning the FLGS is charging you $.50 above MSRP.  THAT'S why they lacked sales in the first place, methinks.

Edited by tomkat364