Sign in to follow this  
Lord Citrus

Shrouded Lightsaber

There are also Electrostaff and Ancient Lighsabre. :D

That's a good point, I think that the ancient light saber should be at least considered on him.

You can do more damage with Shrouded, but it just depends on what your group is made up of. If I had Jyn, Fenn, Mak, and/or Loku...I would make sure to take care of them first. Id rather get the Combat Coat and the two melee upgrades as my item "allotment" for myself.

~D

There are also Electrostaff and Ancient Lighsabre. :D

That's a good point, I think that the ancient light saber should be at least considered on him.

You can do more damage with Shrouded, but it just depends on what your group is made up of. If I had Jyn, Fenn, Mak, and/or Loku...I would make sure to take care of them first. Id rather get the Combat Coat and the two melee upgrades as my item "allotment" for myself.

~D

9 p3 with impact guard using 4 surges on ancient.  8 p3 with impact guard + balanced hilt using 5 surges.  Also you can't guarantee hidden, nor will you get it on a second attack if you spent your surge for damage, so the ancient will outperform the shrouded.  The other "benefit" of the ancient is the blue die, which will let you hit troops with the attachment from the new agenda deck, something the shrouded has an EXTREMELY hard time doing.

Of course ancient is tier 3 and you have no guarantee you'll even pull it and modded it will cost you 700 credits over the modded shrouded which you can get very early in the campaign.  Although Vibro Knuckles are really probably "good enough" to get most things dead, when you've spent that 3 XP the shrouded costs on something else like falling leaf.

9 p3 with impact guard using 4 surges on ancient.  8 p3 with impact guard + balanced hilt using 5 surges.  Also you can't guarantee hidden, nor will you get it on a second attack if you spent your surge for damage, so the ancient will outperform the shrouded.  The other "benefit" of the ancient is the blue die, which will let you hit troops with the attachment from the new agenda deck, something the shrouded has an EXTREMELY hard time doing.

Of course ancient is tier 3 and you have no guarantee you'll even pull it and modded it will cost you 700 credits over the modded shrouded which you can get very early in the campaign.  Although Vibro Knuckles are really probably "good enough" to get most things dead, when you've spent that 3 XP the shrouded costs on something else like falling leaf.

Yep, and that's what goes back to my initial comment that followed. That it depends on who makes up your group. With an easy accessible way of obtaining a Tier 3 type weapon via XP, when Jyn/Fenn/Mak/Loku cannot, I'd be more incline to make sure the credits go to them for a weapon, while I can spend just XP to get a Tier 3 weapon (especially early like you mentioned).

~D

Yep, and that's what goes back to my initial comment that followed. That it depends on who makes up your group. With an easy accessible way of obtaining a Tier 3 type weapon via XP, when Jyn/Fenn/Mak/Loku cannot, I'd be more incline to make sure the credits go to them for a weapon, while I can spend just XP to get a Tier 3 weapon (especially early like you mentioned).

~D

I only played Davith in Bespin, which is a real shitshow of a campaign, and he only attacked a couple times as he was FAR too busy dashing from point A to point B, opening doors and screwing up attribute tests.  He might be better in the other, non-crapfest, campaigns, but even if you give him the shrouded he's still not going to be a heavy hitter like Fenn, Jynn or Mak.

I think if you are using him to attack you'll want a cleave weapon.  8 pierce 3 is pretty nice, but when the hallway is jammed with troopers and hired guns with 3 health, it's pretty pointless and he just becomes a bad Biv.

You guys shouldn't be comparing the lightsaber to items, you should be comparing it to Davith's other XP cards. That's what you're giving up after all.

Blindside, Falling Leaf, and Fell Swoop each add just as much damage to Davith's DPS as the Saber, but you have way more control over where that damage goes instead if being locked into over killing a single target.

Davith is okay as an assassin hero, but I think he's much stronger as a weedwhacker hero that places damage on figures like a surgeon allowing him to maximize the utility of every damage counter he places without wasting them on overkills.

You guys shouldn't be comparing the lightsaber to items, you should be comparing it to Davith's other XP cards. That's what you're giving up after all.

Blindside, Falling Leaf, and Fell Swoop each add just as much damage to Davith's DPS as the Saber, but you have way more control over where that damage goes instead if being locked into over killing a single target.

Davith is okay as an assassin hero, but I think he's much stronger as a weedwhacker hero that places damage on figures like a surgeon allowing him to maximize the utility of every damage counter he places without wasting them on overkills.

You're right that they should compare to the other xp abilities, but the credits saved for the other players shouldn't be ignored either.

If Davith picks up this weapon, it frees up credits that could go to getting another hero a better weapon or even armor.

So it really comes down to the team's members, who does what, and which weaknesses need to be overcome.

The weapon is indeed stronger than other tier 3 weapons (tho not by much). The real strength of this weapon is getting a tier 3 weapon very early in the campaign and it also saves a significant amount of credits.

But as was mentioned, Davith will be stronger in the late game with a standard T3 weapon and spending those 3 XP on something else - his whole deck is very good.

So I think it is very much a judgement call and both routes are viable.

The weapon is indeed stronger than other tier 3 weapons (tho not by much).

It's weaker than all of the tier 3 melee weapons (force pike, electro staff, ancient lightsaber).

It's stronger than the tier 2 weapons (vibro knuckles/ax) in the sense it does more single target damage, HOWEVER... both tier 2 weapons have cleave which make them more generally useful to Davith and ultimately probably better.

The Force Pike is probably the most solid choice for Davith.  His best build to give him his best sustained damage will have him using 3 strain to move 4 doing his side swipe and then attacking twice.  The force pike gives him the reach he needs and the double yellow will give him the surges to pull off 2 strain, and his ability to remove a strain when he hides will get rid of the third.

Edited by Union

The weapon is indeed stronger than other tier 3 weapons (tho not by much).

It's weaker than all of the tier 3 melee weapons (force pike, electro staff, ancient lightsaber).

It's stronger than the tier 2 weapons (vibro knuckles/ax) in the sense it does more single target damage, HOWEVER... both tier 2 weapons have cleave which make them more generally useful to Davith and ultimately probably better.

The Force Pike is probably the most solid choice for Davith.  His best build to give him his best sustained damage will have him using 3 strain to move 4 doing his side swipe and then attacking twice.  The force pike gives him the reach he needs and the double yellow will give him the surges to pull off 2 strain, and his ability to remove a strain when he hides will get rid of the third.

I will admit, my statement was based on outdated math, as i hadn't run the new weapons. Here is the new math.

Untitled_zps6lnhx3wx.png

Red=Shrouded Lightsaber w/ Balanced Hilt & Shock Emitter

Green= Force Pike w/ High Impact Guard (Doesn't rely on an exhaust mod so it would perform better when attacking twice)

Blue=Ancient Lightsaber w/ Balanced Hilt

Yellow=Electrostaff w/ Vibrogenerator (again, doesn't rely on an exhaust mod and that is just single target. In terms of total damage done over 2 targets, Electrostaff w/ Weighted head easily reigns supreme.)

So they honestly come out around the same, each with their own flavour. With Davith, You have to choose which is better - 3 xp or a very strong weapon early and extra credits for the team.

Edited by Deadwolf

How come you are doing the comparisons with different Modifications?Also, did you do it with or without adding his free surge from Hidden?

I simply used the mod that yields the highest damage on that particular weapon.

I did not add the bonus surge from hidden because most of the time you are going to use it to re-hide (especially with shrouded lightsaber). If you use the extra surge for damage, Shrouded Lightsaber, Ancient Lightsaber, and force pike all benefit roughly equally (with shrouded LS pulling slighgly ahead). Electrostaff would need either weighted head or high impact guard to really benefit. The bonus yellow die from falling leaf also has a similar effect.

Edited by Deadwolf