Sign in to follow this  
Lord Citrus

Shrouded Lightsaber

I am pretty new to the game, just finished one campaign as the imperial and was looking at some of the other heroes I want to play for my turn as the rebels.

What is the consensus on Davith's Shrouded Lightsaber, is it worth 3 xp points or skip and buy a T3 weapon?

I don't think there's consensus yet. For facts I can tell you that, attacking from hidden, it has the best damage of any melee weapon but doesn't offer the utility of reach, cleave or a status effect. I'd say if you have another melee hero then it's definitely worth it; if you don't it could go either way.

Edited by Norgrath

Can I just point out the silliness of a weighted head on a lightsaber?

Yeah. Weighted Hilt would habe been similarly thematic and more appropriate for an attachment. And it would also make thematic sense for a lightsaber.

I don't have the BEspin expansion yet.  is the Shrouded light sabre a mission reward, (ie like Dialla's in the core set), or is it available from the store?

Ah, got it.

HOLY SUGERIFIC BATMAN.  Damage could be better but the surge abilities.  My GHU.  That is pretty solid.

At work, so, nothing with me.  What is teh max number of surges from a green and yellow?

Ah, got it.

HOLY SUGERIFIC BATMAN.  Damage could be better but the surge abilities.  My GHU.  That is pretty solid.

At work, so, nothing with me.  What is teh max number of surges from a green and yellow?

Three.

EDIT - if you're attacking while hidden, you get one surge

Edited by KalEl814

In my campaign, I found it a superb addition to Davith's arsenal, especially purchased as quickly as possible. I attached the item that adds an extra surge once per round, and it made him extremely dangerous (max of five surges that way!). My experience is that credits are always very valuable- the Rebels never have quite enough to do everything that they want to do- and saving 500-1000 credits on weapon purchases for Davith is a great way to kit out the other rebels while keeping him very dangerous and very viable.

WOW!  Tack on fell swoop and his flexibility is through the roof.  He can either be the lawnmower, taking out all kinds of little stuff or the chainsaw taking out something big

Edited to add something

Edited by Hersh

WOW!  Tack on fell swoop and his flexibility is through the roof.  He can either be the lawnmower, taking out all kinds of little stuff or the chainsaw taking out something big

Edited to add something

Davith is never "through the roof", he's never going to be as good as the other melee characters.  Even just the closest comparison, Diala, Davith will never touch her Sarlak ability offensively nor is he as good defensively, his ability to give hide doesn't even come close giving rerolls, nor is his ability to run people over as good as force throw.

His biggest benefit is probably saving the team credits by getting a lightsaber instead... but here's the thing, if you're playing against the bespin Imperial Class Deck... that lightsaber ain't so good.  Against the squad with the attachment that forces you to have accuracy for melee attacks,you're going to miss a lot, if they're hidden you're rarely going to hit and if they also have the class card to give you another -2 accuracy, yeah, buying that lightsaber just became really really stupid.  You're better off with a cheap Vibro Sword.

With the Weighted Head and Falling Leaf it's stupidly good. Extended Haft is also a very good option. If you can get either one of these before you get to your 3XP, you should take the lightsaber IMHO.

How do the Cleaves stack for weighted head?  Okay so I exhaust and get a Cleave 1, I decide to spend a surge on Cleave 1 again.  Does 1 target suffer 2 damage from the cleave? Or are 2 different targets taking 1 damage each?

Edited to add something

Davith is never "through the roof", he's never going to be as good as the other melee characters.  Even just the closest comparison, Diala, Davith will never touch her Sarlak ability offensively nor is he as good defensively, his ability to give hide doesn't even come close giving rerolls, nor is his ability to run people over as good as force throw.

His biggest benefit is probably saving the team credits by getting a lightsaber instead... but here's the thing, if you're playing against the bespin Imperial Class Deck... that lightsaber ain't so good.  Against the squad with the attachment that forces you to have accuracy for melee attacks,you're going to miss a lot, if they're hidden you're rarely going to hit and if they also have the class card to give you another -2 accuracy, yeah, buying that lightsaber just became really really stupid.  You're better off with a cheap Vibro Sword.

As I said, I don't own the set... YET, but, I will... oh, I will.  That said, I don't know the nuances of it yet.  Also what I said was his FLEXIBILITY is through the roof.  He can take his surges in three different directions, with just the light sabre, no other upgrades.  Throw in some other upgrades and he can be what ever you need him to be, (well, anything but sniper).

How do the Cleaves stack for weighted head?  Okay so I exhaust and get a Cleave 1, I decide to spend a surge on Cleave 1 again.  Does 1 target suffer 2 damage from the cleave? Or are 2 different targets taking 1 damage each?

As far as we know from the rules (i.e. the lack of rules to combine them), each Cleave ability is resolved separately. So each Cleave can choose a target separately (the same or different target, but not the target of the attack), which is great if you have Reach.

Edited by a1bert

I played Davith in the mini campaign. I played the first mission solo and bought the lightsaber with his 3 credits and was not impressed at all. I would not buy the lightsaber before I got Blindside, Falling Leaf and Fell Swoop, and that's already 8xp. When I restarted the BG campaign, I went with covert operative and Blindside instead and saw a much bigger improvement. He was a monster against troopers, which are common initial troops in BG. By the time we got to the finale he could easily take out 4 troopers in a turn with the BD-1 and a balanced hilt.

Imo, XP is way more valuable than credits, and those abilities are what make Davith so powerful, Blindside and Fell Swoop in particular. I don't think the lightsaber is worth 3 missions of XP, he has so many important abilities and you can just buy a better weapon from the shop instead. I honestly think the lightsaber is a trap that is going to make a lot of people think Davith is weaker than he truly can be when they take it over his other much better abilities.

Edited by Tvboy

Let's take a look at what's available for Tier II & Tier III Melee Weapons compared to the Shrouded Lightsaber:

Shrouded Lightsaber: GY (2 slots)

~: Pierce 3

~: +1 dmg

~: +2 dmg. Use only while Hidden.

BD-1 Vibro-Ax: RG (2 slots)

Reach

~: +1 dmg, Bleed

~: Cleave 2

Stun Baton: BR (1 slot)

~: Stun

~: +2 dmg

1 Strain: Choose an adjacent hostile figure. That figure becomes Weakened.

Vibro Knucklers: GY (no slots)

~: Cleave 2

~: +2 dmg

~: Pierce 2, Bleed

Force Pike: RYY (1 slot)

Reach

~: Stun

I think every one of them has good qualities too, but if you want to look at straight up pure damage on a single target, then the Shrouded Lightsaber is the best way to go. Simply b/c of it's 2 slots, allows you to easily put together the Balanced Hilt + High-Impact Guard combo, giving you an auto +2 damage that only the BD-1 Vibro-Ax can give. The Vibro-Ax does have Reach, but the Pierce 3 out ways the Reach and the Cleave 2 by a lot. Because the Cleave 2 will do you no good if you don't do any damage. The Pierce 3 gives you the best chance to do damage to almost any character. Plus Davith is a Hidden machine, so you're going to get an +1 Surge anyways, so the +2 damage from that is basically auto as well. I will tell you from experience the Pierce 3 is great. It doesn't have the effects like Stun, Bleed, or Weakened, but you can easily allow your fellow heroes to get the items that do that, especially ranged weapons with the Credits you get from there while you can just get this for "free". I agree, that his XP abilities are really nice, but you just need to get Covert Operative and Falling Leaf first (total of 3 XP), then get the Shrouded Lightsaber (3 XP) and then Fell Swoop & Embody the Force next (4 XP/each). If lucky enough to get Combat Coat then Embody the Force can be last.

Hope that helps!

~D