Sign in to follow this  
Jaspor

Rancor Publishing Group - Open Positions!

Hey all!

So, do you like creating original Star Wars content? Do you love the FFG Star Wars RPG system? Then consider joining Rancor Publishing Group, a team of community members who publish professional level content for this game!

So far, we've been focusing on content related to the Star Wars Rebels television series, with two items published so far and more in the works. Spark of Rebellion is a Rebels source book based on Season One of the show. Shadow Over Tarkintown is modeled as a Beginner Game Adventure similar to Escape from Mos Shuuta and Takeover At Whisper Base. We've also had these products featured on the D20Radio website as well as an appearance on the Order 66 podcast.

Sooooo, what are we looking for? Pretty much everything! We do have a few positions that are slightly higher demand at the moment.

Page Layout Expert - This is basically the person who takes all the wonderful content and jams it together into the final professional looking product you see published. We've been making due learning on the fly using things like Scribus and Word, but ideally we'd find someone who really knows how to do this well, has expertise and access to professional layout tools, and loves doing it! (And I will personally send a hard copy of Spark of Rebellion to anyone who volunteers for this role and completes the next project, since I'm really looking to spend my time on other aspects of these projects.)

Artists - Do you like to draw Star Wars stuff? Awesome! With Shadow Over Tarkintown, we've been able to start including more original artwork, with the custom portraits for the pre-made PCs as well as original maps. We would love to be able to include more original art. This can include anything from character portraits, to action scenes, to vehicle renderings, to encounter maps. Basically, if you want to draw something Star Wars-y, we'll be able to find a fit for it.

Those are the two big ones, but we're always willing to consider bringing in additional producers, writers, content reviewers, and copy editors. We have big plans for the Season Two book (and beyond), and we have a great team that we're looking to expand.

Anyways, if you're interested, either shoot me a DM here on the forums or reply to this post and and I'll DM you. Please include which tasks you'd be interested in helping out with, and just a little bit about your background so we understand how best you could fit in with the team.

Thanks for all the support, and you can look forward to the next product release coming very soon!

-Jaspor

Aw, man...I wish I had the kind of skills to help. I'd be totally down to help out with layout, but I'm strictly amateur. If you don't find a pro, you can keep me in mind. And, although I've never used any of it, with my dad and ex-stepmom having been in the pre-press business, there's the possibility that I might have access to some tools (no promises...I'd need to check with them).

On the flip side, it could be useful to have the RPG guys to help out or provide feedback with some similar homebrew sourcebooks I've got percolating in the back of my mind.

At the very least, I should be able to help out with some content, at least to start.

Edited by Nytwyng

I did some line art for the first Spark of Rebellion book and, while communication was pretty spotty (the whole project was still in its infancy), the experience I had with the people involved wasn't bad at all. I'd be willing to help out with more line art for upcoming pieces, and wouldn't be against discussing doing layout. Granted, I am not a professional, nor do I have professional tools like InDesign. I have a pretty firm grasp on using Scribus, though.

Here's a PDF I made in Scribus.

PDFIcon.png - Tenacious Bounty Hunters

Edited by Simon Retold

Hi. This looks cool. One tip about the Sparks of Rebellion cover. Kanan`s hand shouldn`t be cut off from the image like that, it creates ... I can`t remember what it is called in english, but it doesn`t look good and it distracts the eye. His head might be a little bit close to the headline, but not a big deal really. And the symbol in the bottom right creates a tangent with the background image over it, also not good. Just raise the symbol and make it overlap in a clear way and it will be perfect :) Just trying to help ot give some pointers to keep in mind in future. Just nitpicking really, so don`t stress it.

Otherwise, it looks very good! Keep it up:) Keep in mind simple rules like the golden ratio and balance. Don`t create destractions and avoid tangents.

Edited by RodianClone

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. I've reached out, and several have formally joined the team! Now we just have to get work divided and get things rolling along. ;)

If anybody else is still interested, there's still room for more!

While it would be cool to do this kind of work, I have near-zero graphic design skills. I'm more suited to mechanical design and writing, which you seem to have plenty of.

Good luck on your search! Maybe keep me in mind if you need a writer or game-design person!

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. I've reached out, and several have formally joined the team! Now we just have to get work divided and get things rolling along. ;)

If anybody else is still interested, there's still room for more!

Guess I wasn`t what you were looking for. Oh well. Good luck! :D

Question: are you actually hiring people, and offering them actual jobs or commissions, or looking for volunteers? 

Good question, and I probably should have included this in the initial posting. This group and the related projects are completely developed on a volunteer basis. We do not make any money at all from this (in fact, we pay for the website, domain, and contest prizes out of our own pockets), so we cannot pay the contributors.

While we would love to be able to pay contributors, we're be very careful about respecting Disney and FFG and are not making money off the projects. All the work has been done by volunteers, and all our products are released for free.