Sign in to follow this  
Indomitable

Skilled First Officer, and other dial flexibility

At this point we now have a plethora of upgrades (mainly officers) that can modify your command dial stack. All have they're advantages, and disadvantages (mainly cost and opportunity cost).

But I noticed that if you run a Skilled First Officer at 1 measly point, if you run ship based around two primary commands, you can always have the desired command available. Example being Nav, Eng, Nav... Need the Engineeing command, toss the top dial, and set the 2 dials to Eng and Nav. Next turn your again Nav, Eng, Nav. I find this highly attractive for gunship ISD or VSD (all navigates & engineering).

This also turns two command ships into single command ships.

I think this is a rather spectacular upgrade for its cost.

Edit: The attractiveness is the thought process the creator of the gencon special had for commands, simplify your decision making.

Edit 2: And it's a discard effect which makes my initial thought a useful one time effect, vs an almost broken repeat effect. (Reading comprehension -1)

Edited by Indomitable

Oh god.  I tested it tonight.  Most incredible upgrade in the world.  Literally better than Demolisher.   

I've always thought that some low cost upgrades would be great value, like Tantive IV or Comms Net, but this upgrade is the only one I've found.  This could be worth 2 or even 3 points and I would take it.  Its SOOOO goood.  

The real question is, under what circumstances is another captain better?

I can see some ships where I would rather have Adar Tallon ofr Chart officer.

Intel officer, Wulf, Antilles, and other unique officers will of course still be worth it, but this pretty much trumps all of the other dial manipulation officers accept in odd situations like Tarkin & liaisons.

The real question is, under what circumstances is another captain better?

I can see some ships where I would rather have Adar Tallon ofr Chart officer.

Intel officer, Wulf, Antilles, and other unique officers will of course still be worth it, but this pretty much trumps all of the other dial manipulation officers accept in odd situations like Tarkin & liaisons.

Tantilles 4 also makes liasons effective/garm. More so now in the post slicer tools world!

It is a good insurance for carriers against Slicer tools removing your squadron command. Assumes you have a stack of squadron commands into the future. But as Ginkapo says there are other preferences for carriers like Antilles or Tallon.

Skilled first officer works wonders on the Relentless, almost getting you a 1 command dial ISD (at least once per game).

I've mentioned this before in the Liberty thread but I'm assuming there is nothing in the rules to stop a command 3 ship from setting a new command dial at the end of turn 4 that will take effect on turn 7. Normally this wouldn't get to take effect but if your First Officer is still around it can give you a nice choice on turn 6.

It is a good insurance for carriers against Slicer tools removing your squadron command. Assumes you have a stack of squadron commands into the future. But as Ginkapo says there are other preferences for carriers like Antilles or Tallon.

Skilled first officer works wonders on the Relentless, almost getting you a 1 command dial ISD (at least once per game).

I've mentioned this before in the Liberty thread but I'm assuming there is nothing in the rules to stop a command 3 ship from setting a new command dial at the end of turn 4 that will take effect on turn 7. Normally this wouldn't get to take effect but if your First Officer is still around it can give you a nice choice on turn 6.

And thus I fail at reading comprehension... It's a discard effect, making that 1 point much more logical... I'm gonna have to rethink the card, still good on some ships & situations, but definately not great. Edited by Indomitable

It is a good insurance for carriers against Slicer tools removing your squadron command. Assumes you have a stack of squadron commands into the future. But as Ginkapo says there are other preferences for carriers like Antilles or Tallon.

I've mentioned this before in the Liberty thread but I'm assuming there is nothing in the rules to stop a command 3 ship from setting a new command dial at the end of turn 4 that will take effect on turn 7. Normally this wouldn't get to take effect but if your First Officer is still around it can give you a nice choice on turn 6.

And thus I fail at reading comprehension... It's a discard effect, making that 1 point much more logical... I'm gonna have to rethink the card, still good on some ships & situations, but definately not great.

Oh, he's still great, but yeah, definitely not something you will take every time. Though for 1 point you certainly could!

i like liaisons better against tools as it can be used every turn as long as you have a steady supply of tokens like comms net or tarkin or banked tokens..... add in leia for even more redundancy... leia on a flotilla with comms net, 23 points of slicer insurance!

say your yvaris has been slicered...  leia can either fix Yvaris's dial or another ships dial, and send the token to yvaris either to use with the dial or as liaison food... she can even send say a CF command to one ship and bank->comms net the token to yavaris to use in conjunction with weapon's liaison for a squad command on demand....

gimme dat Jabba's palace Leia ALT ART PLEASE!!!!!!!

Overall the Skilled First Officer should be a pretty easy inclusion on Command 2 ships without any other officers fighting for the chair. He can make them effectively Command 1 on a crucial turn and is a great defense against Slicer Tools. Obviously he's of no use on a Command 1 ship. On a Command 3 ship, the Support Officer is better for command management but doesn't have the same anti-Slicer Tools effect as the Skilled First Officer, so that call will come down to your meta and how scared you are of Slicer Tools.

Overall the Skilled First Officer should be a pretty easy inclusion on Command 2 ships without any other officers fighting for the chair. He can make them effectively Command 1 on a crucial turn and is a great defense against Slicer Tools. Obviously he's of no use on a Command 1 ship. On a Command 3 ship, the Support Officer is better for command management but doesn't have the same anti-Slicer Tools effect as the Skilled First Officer, so that call will come down to your meta and how scared you are of Slicer Tools.

I'd agree with that with the command 2 and 3 ships. With command 1 ships and other specialty ships, I'm more inclined towards their specific officer. I hear a lot of dread for the slicer tools but I doubt no more than one of them in a list. Feels overblown at this stage in the meta considering a 1 point upgrade available on any ship can negate for a turn.

I'd agree with that with the command 2 and 3 ships. With command 1 ships and other specialty ships, I'm more inclined towards their specific officer. I hear a lot of dread for the slicer tools but I doubt no more than one of them in a list. Feels overblown at this stage in the meta considering a 1 point upgrade available on any ship can negate for a turn.

I have a hard time justifying the costs of a specialty officer on a Command 1 ship, given it's often 15%ish of the base cost of the ship. At that point I figure if the Slicer Tools flotilla wants to waste its time on smaller prey, I can just learn to live with it. It's the bigger ships I'm worried about. Changing a large or medium ship's crucial command to something momentarily useless can be game-changing, particularly for carrier ships. In those types of situations I'd favor a Wing Commander over a Support Officer, as he doesn't care what that top dial is if he'd rather it be a Squadrons command.

I am OK with it but it is just a 1 time effect. . .

Given a 6 turn game where the initial dance to lock horns is a good 1 to 2 turns ...  I totally see the pretty cool value in the card. Once should be good enough!

I am OK with it but it is just a 1 time effect. . .

Given it's only 1 point I don't see how that's really a bad thing. As I mentioned above, he's bad for Command 1 ships but otherwise he could be useful, particularly on Command 2 ships. My main concern is other officers vying for the same chair. Intel Officer, Flight Commander, Support Officer (on Command 3 ships in metas where Slicer Tools aren't as big a deal), specific command officers (on Command 3 ships in metas where Slicer Tools are a big deal), named officers (Montferrat, Wulff, Needa, Raymus, Leia, Adar Tallon), etc., all want to sit in that chair.

Sometimes, however, the officer chair is empty simply due to points. When that's the case, a 1 point officer fits in just fine.

Also I figure we probably should have an actual picture of the card in this thread by now, right?

swm17-skilled-first-officer.png

I've been thinking of 2 ISDs + Demolisher (or an Interdoctor repair ship) and you don't have too many points left after covering the needed upgrades so 3 first officers might be a good addition of flexibility.

I've been thinking of 2 ISDs + Demolisher (or an Interdoctor repair ship) and you don't have too many points left after covering the needed upgrades so 3 first officers might be a good addition of flexibility.

Combined with Relentless, a Skilled First Officer can make that ISD command on a dime when necessary. That's a somewhat appealing combination if I didn't have other title plans for that ISD.

I'm really not sure the way that I'm interpreting what you mean for SFO.

When I run a 3 command ship and I use the SFO, I discard for the rest of the game my dial just like the Relentless can do? And I could use both... Seems to strong for 1 point.

For me, it's sound a little bit more like : When you activate your ship, you take your second dial instead of the first one on the stack to execute the command. At the end of the round, you set those two dials and put them beneath your third one.

For 1 point and the fact that it's discard, it's look like more for me the rigth interpretation that should be. But i'm maybe wrong?

Skilled First Officer works like this, for a command 3 Ship...

Its turn, let's say 4...

You have 3 Dials in your Stack, because you have a Command 3 Ship.  You had 2 at the End of last turn...

During Turn 3, some icky Flotilla with Slicer Tools came down and violated the Top Dial of your Stack...  So that Command is something you DO NOT WANT...

So, before you Reveal your Dial...  You pick up that top dial, and you throw it in the nearest Bin, because its tainted and you can barely stand to touch it.

So now, you Reveal your Dial.  You have 2 Dials in your Stack now...  But you turn the Top over, and you do your Turn.

At the End of Turn 4, you will have 1 Dial in your Stack, and 1 Dial on your Ship Card (that you used/traded)...

DURING THE COMMAND PHASE OF THE 5th TURN, you will go and find another Dial, because you need to re set your Dials to 3...  So there are Three Dials there....

Skilled First Officer is a one time shot to get rid of one Dial that you don't want to use...  Perhaps it happened like above...  Perhaps you banked an Engineering Command for Turn 5, but you REALLY NEED IT in Turn 4, so you toss the Dial you were going to use to take the next one in the stack...

BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY (Turn)...  When you Reset your Dials the Next turn, you SET AS MANY DIALS AS YOU NEED TO to get back to your Command Number worth of Dials./