Sign in to follow this  
Trumpet

New to this

Hello ,

I've been looking at getting Imperial Assault but I have a few questions,

If I get the core set what would be the best ally villain expansions I would like minatures over the cardboard tokens especially for the iconic heroes etc.

I would like to get the iconic ally/ villains from the films like Han,chewi,leia boba fett,etc my question is can I incorporate say leia,boba c3po and r2 into the core set or do I have to buy the boxed expansions,

Secondly picking the iconic characters in the ally/villain expansions is that a good way to do it or should I just get the wave 1 expansions.

I'm just going to play casually both campaign and skirmish any advice most welcomed.

Thanks

Leia, C3PO and R2 all relate to non-core missions. Their missions are available through some of the newer box set expansions that have been released, Return to Hoth and Twin Shadows.

Jacob

For casual skirmish, you can get by with as much or as little as you like, after you've got the core set. Probably less true for campaign, even casually, but I'm no expert. I will say that after the core set, the boxed expansion packs do offer the best value for money, particularly (in my view) Hoth and Bespin.

The core set uses Han, Chewie, Rebel Troopers, Rebel Sabotours, the Royal Guard Champion, and General Weiss. For skirmish, when you buy an expansion, you get the necessary cards to use in skirmish mode, but certain miniatures are only used with certain sets for campaign play. C3PO, R2D2, and Boba Fett are used in the Twin Suns campaign (Han and Chewie too, I think).

Edited by Sierra19

The core set uses Han, Chewie, Rebel Troopers, Rebel Sabotours, the Royal Guard Champion, and General Weiss. For skirmish, when you buy an expansion, you get the necessary cards to use in skirmish mode, but certain miniatures are only used with certain sets for campaign play. C3PO, R2D2, and Boba Fett are used in the Twin Suns campaign (Han and Chewie too, I think).

Han definitely, and Kayn Somos.

Edited by Majushi

Boba can be used in the Core campaign, without Twin Shadows, but not in skirmish.

If you don't want to spend too much the best buys for campaign (in my opinion) are

1) Bespin Gambit- $40 Gives you Lando and a bunch of great side missions to be incorporated into the campaign.

2) Hired Guns- $13 Gives you a new cheap unit that is useful in early and mid campaign (does not require expansions)

3) ISB Infiltrators- $13 Gives you a great Imperial unit that can be used without expansion, but missions require Bespin Gambit

4) Alliance Smuggler -$10 Gives you what I am told is a great ally. Does not require expansions.

Right now you can get good deals at CSI - http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/2771

I recommend spending at minimum $100 to get free shipping.

If you're a new person, don't get in a rush.  There's so much in the core set alone, don't overdose!  I recommend getting the core and the ally/villain packs that correspond to it.  If you do that you will have a VERY complete experience, and then you can do from there.

If you go to this site, I recommend:

Core.  ($54.99)

Extra dice ($6.49)

Han Solo ($7.49)

Chewbacca ($5.99)

General Weiss ($11.99)

IG-88 ($5.49)

Rebel Troopers ($7.99)

Rebel Saboteurs ($6.99)

Royal Guard Champion ($5.49)

If you buy all this you will have a VERY complete campaign experience for $112.91, and still have some good figures for skirmish play too.  I honestly feel like if you play the campaign, if you're anything like me, you'll wince every time you have to use a stupid cardboard token instead of a figure.  These prices are awesome, the core by itself retails at $99. 

If you want more, I'd recommend checking out the packs that do not require an expansion.  Enhance the original campaign and finish it before moving on. 

Does anyone have a list of the ally/villain packs that do not require an expansion for their skirmish/campaign missions?  Of the top of my head I can think of Hired Guns, Wookie Warriors, Bantha Rider, and Alliance Smuggler that don't need other expansions (I think). 

If you're a new person, don't get in a rush.  There's so much in the core set alone, don't overdose!  I recommend getting the core and the ally/villain packs that correspond to it.  If you do that you will have a VERY complete experience, and then you can do from there.

Core.  ($54.99)

Extra dice ($6.49)

Han Solo ($7.49)

Chewbacca ($5.99)

General Weiss ($11.99)

IG-88 ($5.49)

Rebel Troopers ($7.99)

Rebel Saboteurs ($6.99)

If you buy all this you will have a VERY complete campaign experience for $112.91, and still have some good figures for skirmish play too.  I honestly feel like if you play the campaign, if you're anything like me, you'll wince every time you have to use a stupid cardboard token instead of a figure.  These prices are awesome, the core by itself retails at $99. 

If you want more, I'd recommend checking out the packs that do not require an expansion.  Enhance the original campaign and finish it before moving on. 

Does anyone have a list of the ally/villain packs that do not require an expansion for their skirmish/campaign missions?  Of the top of my head I can think of Hired Guns, Wookie Warriors, Bantha Rider, and Alliance Smuggler that don't need other expansions (I think). 

Good list but I'd delete Weiss from the list personally.  The base set has the AT-ST which can be used as a 3D proxy for Weiss if needed.

In his place, I'd suggest Hired Guns or ISB Infiltrators.  Either will make great additions to your choices for Open Groups in the campaign.

For casual skirmish, Leia and R2/3PO are good additions to the list as well.

Core.  ($54.99)

Extra dice ($6.49)

Han Solo ($7.49)

Chewbacca ($5.99)

General Weiss ($11.99)

IG-88 ($5.49)

Rebel Troopers ($7.99)

Rebel Saboteurs ($6.99)

Good list but I'd delete Weiss from the list personally.  The base set has the AT-ST which can be used as a 3D proxy for Weiss if needed.

In his place, I'd suggest Hired Guns or ISB Infiltrators.  Either will make great additions to your choices for Open Groups in the campaign.

Very good point, you can use the Core AT-ST instead of Weiss's model.  I'm trying to think if Weiss actually has anything cool in his pack at all, other than a big piece of plastic.

Very good point, you can use the Core AT-ST instead of Weiss's model.  I'm trying to think if Weiss actually has anything cool in his pack at all, other than a big piece of plastic.

Not really.

Core.  ($54.99)

Extra dice ($6.49)

Han Solo ($7.49)

Chewbacca ($5.99)

General Weiss ($11.99)

IG-88 ($5.49)

Rebel Troopers ($7.99)

Rebel Saboteurs ($6.99)

He has a mission that lets you bring him to the Hoth campaign!

Not really.

MOAR GUNZ!!! :D

Thanks for the advice,

I have purchased the core,twin shadows,boba,Han,chewi ,c3po and r2, rebel troopers,sabouters,Royal guard, so hopefully this will keep me busy for a bit,

Later on I will probably get ,bantha rider,obi wan and greedo

Thanks for the advice,

I have purchased the core,twin shadows,boba,Han,chewi ,c3po and r2, rebel troopers,sabouters,Royal guard, so hopefully this will keep me busy for a bit,

Later on I will probably get ,bantha rider,obi wan and greedo

Awesome!  I'm sure it will!

When I introduce people to IA we play Twin Shadows or the Bespin Gambit.  It's very thematic and quick (compared to the campaign).

Edited by Boba Rick