Sign in to follow this  
GrimmyV

Why did it take so long for this FAQ?

Why, oh why did it take so long for a proper FAQ ruling on the secondary weapons that perform two 'attacks' as a single attack? Why didn't they just define 'attack' as the total event that declares a target and that may result in a 'hit' or 'miss'. We've had this problem since Clusters were a thing, many many waves ago. At least it's 'fixed' now. I don't see it as a nerf on the 'synergies' that were allowed to illegally exist before, but it does make me sad that Blaster Turret Kavil with R4 isn't a good combo anymore.

Anyway, why did it take so long? Sure, waiting several waves to fix the Advanced is acceptable, because that's one ship and it wouldn't break the game, and incrementally fixing other ships and ordnance is acceptable since balance needs to be maintained. But why let a couple of secondary weapons lead to so much confusion for so long? I know it wasn't Phantom Cloaking broken but still...why the wait?

And GONK it all to GONK, don't let some stupid email be the only ruling for official tournaments for periods of a year or more! GONKITTY GONK GONK!

GUNBOAT!

It took a long time because it is complicated and the people doing it have other job duties.

You know, other duties, like play testing the cards and pilots before they release them to see if there aren't any broken combos or checking the language on the cards to make sure things are as clear as possible.

Oh wait...

Calm down, it's only a game.

They will probably have playtested and checked over the contents of this FAQ to ensure it didn't completely break anything in the game.

As for Gonk, hyperbole much?

As for this "Gunboat" nonsense...  See my first sentence.

Calm down? But NERD RAGE!!!!!! Must have nerd rage!

NERDDDDD RAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!!!!!!!

Nerd rage? Just a little? Please?

gunboat?

Ok.... *sniffle* I'll go now.

It took a long time because it is complicated and the people doing it have other job duties.

You know, other duties, like play testing the cards and pilots before they release them to see if there aren't any broken combos or checking the language on the cards to make sure things are as clear as possible.

Oh wait...

This!!!

I know things will never be perfect, there will always be tweaks and minor fixes...but there are some major changes here. They need to playtest better and do much better on the wording.

Oh wait...

Negativity serves very little purpose. This is even more true in this context.

If you can do better please do.

Oh wait...

Negativity serves very little purpose. This is even more true in this context.

If you can do better please do.

How about treating Clusters and TLTs as one attack with two seperate damage/hit phases. From the beginning. Since they don't declare targets for the second attack.

Really, I just wanted to know why FAQs for Boba vs EM and double Gonking take so long, or are even needed at all since armchair nerds on this forum point out rules conflicts on ships and cards based on pure speculation and virtual play testing even when a new wave is just a rumor, much less previewed and spoiled or actually available. Are XWM forum goers that much smarter than actual FFG employees?

Oh wait...

This!!!

I know things will never be perfect, there will always be tweaks and minor fixes...but there are some major changes here. They need to playtest better and do much better on the wording.

I've said this elsewhere, but the thing is you don't know what actually got caught in play testing vs what got through so you don't know their "success rate." It's also just a matter of numbers where a small group can't see all the combination a group dozens, if not hundreds of time their size will notice. I mean, it's not like any one of us catch all those items on our own.

^ but if the rules issues are caught by the forum before the product is released (likes many months before) why can't there be a FAQ ready to go when that product is released?

I don't know. Maybe because they have other waves in development and are trying to consider how rules will affect them? Maybe they want to make sure they catch as much as possible before making them official? I'm not sure on that.

^ but if the rules issues are caught by the forum before the product is released (likes many months before) why can't there be a FAQ ready to go when that product is released?

I don't know. Maybe because they have other waves in development and are trying to consider how rules will affect them? Maybe they want to make sure they catch as much as possible before making them official? I'm not sure on that.

Most likely it was because they weren't really sure what the "right" answer was and it took time to build the consensus. I think this was a concerted effort to answer those questions as consistently as possible.  I know in the past some of the email responses Frank has sent out to individuals appear to not mesh completely with the rules as written.

It looks like this time they worked on these as a group according to Frank's post.

Most likely it was because they weren't really sure what the "right" answer was and it took time to build the consensus. I think this was a concerted effort to answer those questions as consistently as possible.  I know in the past some of the email responses Frank has sent out to individuals appear to not mesh completely with the rules as written.

It looks like this time they worked on these as a group according to Frank's post.

Yeah, I don't disagree, I just think there could be a lot of reasons.

They need a dedicated rules guy who can help Design address all these issues while they're still in the idea stage. Compared to Magic, with its larger and more complex ruleset, significantly larger card pool with untold numbers of complex interactions, and more frequent releases, FFG's design process is underwhelming.

Seriously, it's one thing to release a card without catching an unintentionally powerful combo. That's just going to happen occasionally. It's quite another for a card to get all the way through the design process without all of its potential rules interactions being examined.

Could be worse, at least FFG try to fix things in a subtle way and try to iron out issues with regular FAQs and new upgrade cards

GW now that's whole other kettle of sticking your head in the sand, ignoring problems, releasing new editions, ignoring whole factions, not listening to customers, of fish.

Great Models mind

GW would have released a wicked Gunboat model

They would probably have kept the "XG1 Assault Gunboat" name as well.

And armed it with Assault Cannons and Assault Missiles, and given you the Hyperspace Assault bonus if you fielded the Assault Formation which came as an an exclusive extra with the £60 "Assault Gunboat" supplement.

And armed it with Assault Cannons and Assault Missiles, and given you the Hyperspace Assault bonus if you fielded the Assault Formation which came as an an exclusive extra with the £60 "Assault Gunboat" supplement.

Awesome! Can I preorder 4?

Awesome! Can I preorder 4?

For only $250.00 USD you can get 4 specially crafted gunboats! (assembly required)

You must have the models painted to use in any tournament, only using GW paints!

You must also follow the rulles in the $55.00 USD "XG-1 Assault Gunboat" rulebook, with 40 pages of lore, and 5 pages of actual rules.