Sign in to follow this  
thorondor

stahleck 09 - results, comments and reports

we had another meeting in the Stahleck Asylum last weekend. 13 players from 8 nations took the chance to revel in madness for 3 days (and nights).

here are the results of the 4 tourneys.

congratulations to graham hill - overall european champion 09 (defending the title of last year)

--------------------------------

COC Highlander Tourney 4 Rounds

1 roberto carioli ita
2 franck gallon fra
3 andrew clarke uk
4 vincent manseau fra
5 graham hill usa
6 jean francois jet fra
7 ghislain simonin fra

--------------------------------

COC LCG European Championship
after 4 Rounds

1 graham hill usa
2 vincent manseau fra
3 francesco zappon ita
4 andrew clarke uk
5 jean francois jet fra
6 christian kretschmer ger
7 ghislain simonin fra
8 stavros gessis bel
9 roberto carioli ita
10 andre santos por
11 marius hartland ned
12 franck gallon fra

semifinals
andrew clarke vs graham hill
vincent manseau vs francesco zappon

small final
vincent manseau vs andrew clarke

grand final
francesco zappon vs graham hill

-----------------------------

COC CCG European Championship
after 4 rounds

1 graham hill usa shub/yog
2 roberto carioli ita agency
3 andrew clarke uk neutral
4 marius hartland ned syndicate
5 francesco zappon ita cthulhu
6 franck gallon fra agency
7 ghislain simonin fra syndicate
8 vincent manseau fra hastur
9 jean francois fra yog
10 stavros gessis bel syndicate

semifinals
marius hartland vs graham hill
roberto carioli vs andrew clarke

small final
roberto carioli vs marius hartland

grand final
andrew clarke vs graham hill

-------------------------------

COC LCG Multiplayer 3 Rounds

1 franck gallon/jean francois jet fra/fra
2 andre santos/christian kretschmer por/ger
3 andrew clarke/graham hill uk/usa
4 ghislain simonin/stavros gessis fra/bel
5 vincent manseau/roberto carioli fra/ita
6 francseco zappon/marius hartland ita/ned

chicklewis said:

Thorondor, WHERE are the results of the 4 tourneys??  And I'd love to see photos, if anybody has them.

Chick

you have been too quick! i had yet to fill in the results.

i am sure there will be photos soon ...

Hi everyone!

I want just to say a HUGE thanks to everyone that was in Stahleck: great event and soooo much fun :) A special thanks to Thorondor, that organized a great event in a perfect way!

For any other technical comment I hope I have time to write something...but the first fact is: dogs + agency + descendant everywhere. Definitely, dogs are too overpowered at the moment (but you can absolutely stop them, just need to find the correct balance).

See you!

Konx - Francesco.

I'm following Konx thanks to thorondor! It was an awesome experience!

Dogs are definitly insane but can be dealt with. Let's see what new evolutions pop up :D

Thanks to everyone for making this event great!

Cheers!

Ashma - André

Heu, no I'm not playing dogs gran_risa.gif , but it's true, for the moment if you want to be really competitive you need your 8 dogs in the deck, but it's a little bit repetitive. We are waiting for reset cards to clean the table when there are too many dogs ! 

We will post on the French forum, Le Cenacle Chthonien some reports and pictures, and here, with time we will try to make the same thing in english.

It was a pleasure to meet players from other countries. Thanks to all.

See you, may be for the French National, next year ! 

Hi guys !

Something might got wrong with the results : Andrew beated me, so he is the 2nd in LCG environment, and I'm only 4th ... But I'm definetly glad I reached two TOP4 ...

Concerning the whole organisation, it was a really nice place with a bunch of nice peoples ... I was glad to meet Marius, Graham, Santos, Francesco, Stavros, Christian and Andrews.

It was a pleasure to play gainst everyone, so I can judge by myself how many progresses needs to be done to be a better player ^^

Concerning format.

The deck Descendant+ dogs+ agency or Hastur was very present, and  I think that the will of FFG to slow down the game is a pure dream now. Those two cards are beatable, don't get me wrong, but I personaly had less pleasure to meet them.

An overall great event and experience - few attendants but interesting discussions and great peoplehappy.gif

PRODIGEE said:

Hi guys !

Something might got wrong with the results : Andrew beated me, so he is the 2nd in LCG environment, and I'm only 4th ... But I'm definetly glad I reached two TOP4 ...

nothing wrong in the first post - bear in mind that the list given by Thorondor is the situation after the 4 rounds (the 'cut') before playing the semi-finals and finals. You can sort it out by reading the winners' names (in bold), so the final LCG ranking is the following :

1st graham hill usa
2nd francesco zappon ita
3rd andrew clarke uk
4th vincent manseau fra

5 jean-francois jet fra
6 christian kretschmer ger
7 ghislain simonin fra
8 stavros gessis bel/gre
9 roberto carioli ita
10 andre santos por
11 marius hartland ned
12 franck gallon fra

As it's been a few days, I thought I would post a few words on the European championship held at Stahleck between the 11th and 13th December. I don't intend to say too much about decks that were played at Stahleck, mainly because I don't want to give away other players strategies without their permission, but I will make a few general observations to those interested.

Just to explain the format: there were two main tournaments at Stahleck this year, the LCG (white border only) and Standard Constructed (black and white border) events. There was also a highlander standard constructed event (one copy maximum of each card in a deck, from both black and white border sets) and an LCG multiplayer event (in which two players formed a team, each player playing separate decks with one common pool of stories.)

The highlander and multiplayer events saw all sorts of weird and wonderful decks, in both cases there is not much to say about strategy, but rather that both were great fun to play in. I like highlander as it gives the chance to try out all sorts of odd cards that never quite make the cut in most of my decks (both Pocket Telescope and Silver Twilight Temptress did well for me here) while the multiplayer is pure craziness as both teams struggle to gain an advantage over their rivals.

In the highlander I played Agency-Cthulhu with a few neutrals thrown in, in multiplayer I made a Shub-Syndicate deck on the spur of the moment which really acted as a support deck to my ally's (Graham Hill's) deck. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised to finish third in both events. Roberto (Carioz) won the highlander and Franck and Francois won the multiplayer.

The LCG contest was held on Friday and while I didn't see everybody's decks, I do have the distinct impression there was a lot of Agency-Hastur played with the Alaskan sled dogs and Descendent of Eibon making plenty of appearances. The dogs really ruled the tournament and many were left with the impression they were a bit powerful for a one drop character, especially as most people presumably had eight in their decks. Graham Hill, last year's defending champion, won the LCG European championship and I believe he used Agency-Hastur. I managed a respectable third, I too was playing Agency-Hastur with dogs and Descendants.

The standard constructed was the last event played. My deck was mono neutral (well with a few 0 cost events/support cards from other factions) that focussed on getting powerful characters out quickly and also attempted to make use of conspiracies (I have an irrational affection for conspiracy cards...) to hopefully cause my opponents some problems. I saw all sorts of decks from Syndicate rush to what looked like a mono Hastur control, but don't recall all the details. To my surprise, my deck worked really well during the event and I found myself up against my old rival and team mate Graham in the Grand Final. I had played against him in an earlier round, so I had a reasonable idea of what was in his deck. After an epic contest he pulled off the win. I don't want to say too much about his deck, but I don't think I am giving too much away to say it was Yog and Shub based.

As has been remarked by many before, the whole event was huge fun and all the people that participated were both really nice and good sports. CoC's rules are a bit fuzzy in places (to put it mildly) and the idea of trying to adjudicate them in several different languages with varying levels of comprehension between the players, could have been a recipe for disaster. The fact that the event did not turn out this way, I think, reflects well on the skill of the the organisers and the spirit of all those that took part. Overall I can't wait until next year.  Just one small plea to the organisers: please keep the Standard Constructed as one of the main events next year as many of us (and I can speak for a few people here!) are not ready to give up our black borders just yet.

Nomad (Andrew Clarke)

Thank you Nomad for the recap of the tournament, it was a good read! I have quit the game some time ago, but reading that (and also talking to some other of the participants) brought back memories. Almost made me wish I had been in Stahleck this year too.

@Bard: hey good to hear from you!  Us old-timers certainly missed you, (and Laura and Aero) this time round.  If we can tempt you all out of retirement next time, that would be really cool...

Hey Bard!

The presence of you and your playgroup was greatly missed. It was a great event, and we needed all the help we could get in defeating Graham... I hope you'll concider joining in next year!

Thanks guys, you reminded me how great of a community CoC players are. :) Seems quite unlikely I'll be playing next year though... I have really jumped into other games and activities, but hey, you never know.

Marius said:

It was a great event, and we needed all the help we could get in defeating Graham...

Heh, yeah ;) He has a bad habit of dominating these events. Can't speak for the other Finns, but really I don't think I could have offered much opposition... Like happens everything that's not being used, my CoC skills have gotten super rusty over time.

Take care everybody!