Sign in to follow this  
StriderZessei

So Where is Dash Now?

I haven't been following the meta too closely, but I've been scouting around and making a reddit post once in awhile, and I'm just wondering where Dash is in the current meta.

For the record, here are the post I made, and the most recent discussion of him I found on Team Covenant's page:

https://m.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/4q822o/some_questions_from_a_newer_player_and_outrider/?ref=search_posts

https://teamcovenant.com/star-wars-x-wing/i-still-believe-in-dash-rendar

I think the high number of Palp Aces that are showing up at toutnaments make it hard for Dash to do well. Dash is likely to be in a 2 ship list (probably three at most). The defenses of Palp Aces shines when there's a max of two or three attacks they'll need to defend against. Add to that the ability of the aces to get into Dash's donut and you are looking at a bad match up for Dash. That's not to say that Dash can't beat Palp Aces but it's hard to bring him when you know that you'll probably end up facing Palp Aces 3-4 times in a tournament if you were to go all the way to the finals.

If you are good with Dash and like him, definitely give him a go. He's still a strong ship, it's just not a friendly environment for him in the current meta.

I think the high number of Palp Aces that are showing up at toutnaments make it hard for Dash to do well. Dash is likely to be in a 2 ship list (probably three at most). The defenses of Palp Aces shines when there's a max of two or three attacks they'll need to defend against. Add to that the ability of the aces to get into Dash's donut and you are looking at a bad match up for Dash. That's not to say that Dash can't beat Palp Aces but it's hard to bring him when you know that you'll probably end up facing Palp Aces 3-4 times in a tournament if you were to go all the way to the finals.

If you are good with Dash and like him, definitely give him a go. He's still a strong ship, it's just not a friendly environment for him in the current meta.

So what ships should run with him to counter that? The VCX with anti pursuit lasers or some form of stress-inducing abilities?

Also, thanks for giving straight, informational answers unlike certain users.

Edited by StriderZessei

So what ships should run with him to counter that? The VCX with anti pursuit lasers or some form of stress-inducing abilities?

Also, thanks for giving straight, informational answers unlike certain users.

I'd try a Lothal Rebel with FCS, Autoblaster, Plasma Torps, Hera crew. Tweak however you wish with the remaining points, but I think Intelligence Agent is amazing value if you're concerned with aces. It can really setup pivotal blocks with Dash allowing your Lothal to catch tokenless aces in arc.

I flew against two Dash Lothal lists at our regionals. It's surprisingly difficult to deal with as aces. Chasing Dash is always risky since 1-hards into a BR is a persistent threat. Meanwhile, hunting the Lothal takes a lot of time and exposes you to focus/TL Dash which will eventually punch through.

Solid dash build that's seen decent competitive success (not on the same scale as uboats, crackswarms, or impaces, but still some):

Dash, PtL, title, kanan crew, hlc, eu -- 58

Lothal Rebel, autoblaster turret, FCS, han solo crew, hera crew (here you can drop the crew and up to chopper, pretty interchangable)

Note: it's a super fun list to play. To me, it plays like a cousin to the old RAC+soontir fel builds we saw ~ wave 6/7.

Cheers!

Dash, PtL, title, kanan crew, hlc, eu -- 58

Lothal Rebel, autoblaster turret, FCS, han solo crew, hera crew

I have run this list and it is good fun as both ships hit like a ton of bricks. Having said that, both ships have blind spots and a maximum PS7 meaning that PS8+ Aces can really ruin their day.

Dash is a great pilot but his PS makes him vulnerable to Aces. The simplest solution is an ace of your own or possibly a couple of A-wing blockers. The above Dash build leaves just enough points for 2 Green Arrows.

Edited by Karhedron

Played against a Dash/VCX player in our Regional a few weeks back. He complained about how he was constantly getting paired with Palp Aces and that the Dash/VCX combo just couldn't hit them.

Admittedly, I believe he made a mistake in chasing OL with the VCX and leaving Dash to deal with my Whisper & Shuttle, so it may just have been his particular playstyle, but two ship lists really do suffer against Palp Aces... And it's worse for Dash if they bring Autothrusters (which I did not, and still tabled the opponent).

I know dual YT-2400's made the cut at the Durham Regional, and one of them was Dash. I think he was the strongest counter to U-boats the rebels had, minus blocker a-wings.

Although now that U-boats aren't as potent, I am not quite sure where to put him. Although I don't think he is in danger of disappearing like the YT-1300 any time soon, He does struggle against Palp aces.

Does he have to use PTL or can he get some push back with VI? I mean, I get that he loses some ability to extend away or gain some accuracy buffs. But it seems to me that if he's moving after the aces odds are good he'll only need one of his maneuver options to get outside range 1.

Does he have to use PTL or can he get some push back with VI? I mean, I get that he loses some ability to extend away or gain some accuracy buffs. But it seems to me that if he's moving after the aces odds are good he'll only need one of his maneuver options to get outside range 1.

He also loses a lot of bunch by not being able to modify his attacks if he uses a repositioning action or being able to get off Focus+TL shots if he doesn't reposition. You minimize the donut-holing issue but you take away a lot of what makes him a threat at the same time. 

Edited by WWHSD

i still see him alot.

Dash + Ghost generic is the only list ive faced around me that beat my vanilla tie swarm (nocracks), even though i blame spacing out Hera existed and my dice refusing to dodge more than 1 of a 4hit HLC every **** round lol.

Got one guy thats been running Mangler Cannon on him instead of HLC. One less attack die, doesnt have a range1 issue, always causes a crit. Its rather annoying, though the 4hits is usually what does me in because 3 agility w/ focus or evades tends to dodge 3 hits fairly often but almost never 4.

Dash is an absolute nightmare though when its 1on1. He technically isnt any more nimble than other large ships but since he ignores rocks he can escape a pincer attack so goddamn easily it isnt even funny.

The thing with Dash lists is that you're running two, possibly 3, ships, so you need to force as many hits through as you can.  Giving up PTL means you're losing a LOT of firepower.

least palpaces has 4-5 picks between the aces (vader, inquis, OL, jax, fel) so theres SOME variety there.

And imperials just got another pretty powerful list were bound to see a lot: Tomax Shuttle + 2 defenders.

Imperials seem to have the widest diversity of lists, even if a good chunk of them are similar.

Rebels....like others have said they pretty much only have ghost + dash. Ive gotten a lot of victory with the bumperwing strat (keyan + zeb) but i dont do major tournies so my input is rather limited.

Scum is ONLY Dengar + Guri, Dengar + Manaroo, tripboats, or brobots. Better than rebels, but still very limited.