Sign in to follow this  
hellrazoromega

Condition and Spell Card management

Forgive me if this has been asked as my Search-Fu is weak and did not turn up any results. A link to some answers would be nice if there is one.

As the expansions for this game continue to roll out, which is an awesome thing, the management of Condition, Spell, and other mini cards of their ilk is getting a bit out of hand. Sometimes you are instructed to give the player a random spell, other times in it a random Glamour for instance. So either sorting theses cards by type (Madness, Task, or whatever, in the case of condition cards) or sorting them alphabetically does not seem to manage this ever growing list of cards effectively. 

The easy answer would be an App or spreadsheet to mange this but since FFG does have one and since they would likely C&D anyone doing anything themselves and distributing it to those of us who can't code, I am wondering what solutions are other players using to manage all of the mini cards for Eldritch Horror? 

I have all conditions separated by type, and I give each mini-deck a good shuffle before cutting and drawing from them for the first time (rather than shuffling each deck individually, which I find substantially adds to setup time).

In our games, all spells and unique assets remain together in their own respective decks, although shuffling such thick decks of small cards can take some getting used to.

There are various ways to break down the condition decks into smaller groups for easier shuffling, as long as you know what the game tends to ask you to look for. Different people use different things, but personally I have one deck for all Madness/Illness/Injury, one for all the Deals/Boons/Banes, and one for all the others. As long as you know what cards are in which deck, it's easy enough to go and find the appropriate smaller deck. By the same logic, for unique assets I have a Task deck, a Relic deck, and a Misc deck. This doesn't easily work for the spells as you are often asked to just get a "Spell" with no further distinction (whereas you're never asked to just draw a "Condition" or "Unique Asset", so I keep them all together, although if it's getting cumbersome (and I'm sure it's well shuffled), there's no harm in only actually taking out say half of the monstrous combined spell deck for a given game.

Yeah I have all of mine by type and then alphabetically so if it calls for a particular type I pull all of that type fan then out face up and let the player chose. Either way it can be a pain when you need to do the other option (grab a random in my case or find a specific the way you guys seem ti do it). I may just have a friend work up a program for my own personal use (not to distribute in case you are listening Devs) so I can keep them sorted alphabetically by type and just have it generate random results to hand them out from the card box. 

I'm starting to see the same issue, particularly given the slowdown that might occur due to searching through the stacks. I'm thinking of dividing them by type and then shuffling smaller stacks.

Edited by Valadar

We normally have them all in one deck sorted alphabetically (with debt on the top as it's the most often drawn). It's a problem though when it calls to draw a random injury/madness.

We normally have them all in one deck sorted alphabetically (with debt on the top as it's the most often drawn). It's a problem though when it calls to draw a random injury/madness.

If I may, Groove, when it asks for a random anything, find the appropriate section and deal off the bottom.  Unless, of course, you sort them right down to specific injury/madness stacks.  I find shuffling the whole deck together is nice as reshuffling the deck gives one of the non-active players something to do while waiting for their turn.