Sign in to follow this  
Warpman

FAQ Mess

FAQs are a necessity in the game.

FAQs are also VERY unfriendly to new players AND to most casual players who are simply trying to keep up with changes.

I would like to see a user app, android version that FFG could create that is a rules app.  This app would auto update and could EASILY be used in game to clarify issues for new and casual players.

I print the FAQS but carrying around a big notebook with faq then flipping through it mid game in frustrating looking for clarification is NOT FUN and happens very often.

FAQs are the nature of a "living game" However large meta-changing patches that are common in video games are expected to come in expansions with table top games, not really FAQs and erratas. It is kind of unfamiliar territory where a tabletop game can be re-balanced without an expansion. The phantom nerf was the first of this kind and it was rather shocking.

The phantom nerf was the first of this kind and it was rather shocking.

If by "shocking" you mean "necessary and made total sense, thematically and functionally" then yes, it was pretty shocking.

I'll go out on a limb here and say I think the "shocking" part about the Phantom's history is beyond the 'u-turn esque' nerf, but rather the release of the ship as it was, for we all believed the design was 'game play tested' prior to the setting of the final details, manufacture and release. I think FFG designers started fine tuning their design analysis a bit more post-Phantom....but sadly took a little nap during part of the Jumpmater's base ship testing.

FAQs are also VERY unfriendly to new players AND to most casual players who are simply trying to keep up with changes.

I would like to see a user app, android version that FFG could create that is a rules app.  This app would auto update and could EASILY be used in game to clarify issues for new and casual players.

I print the FAQS but carrying around a big notebook with faq then flipping through it mid game in frustrating looking for clarification is NOT FUN and happens very often.

So true. I hate it when I have to clarify Crackshot, because the FAQ goes against the German translation. So when I want to use the card the way it does against someone who doesn't follow the FAQ much I literaly have to say"Yeah, on the card it says something else, but FFG made an FAQ entry. It hasn't been added to the German FAQ, yet, so you will have to believe me its different in the English one. It also makes the card drasticaly better!". It just sucks. I wouldn't be mad if someone were to call bs on that, because on the surface it really does look like that.

If you have a tablet, using the PDFs should work fine, though. While an app would be awesome, you can have some of that luxury right now!

So true. I hate it when I have to clarify Crackshot, because the FAQ goes against the German translation. So when I want to use the card the way it does against someone who doesn't follow the FAQ much I literaly have to say"Yeah, on the card it says something else, but FFG made an FAQ entry. It hasn't been added to the German FAQ, yet, so you will have to believe me its different in the English one. It also makes the card drasticaly better!". It just sucks. I wouldn't be mad if someone were to call bs on that, because on the surface it really does look like that.

If you have a tablet, using the PDFs should work fine, though. While an app would be awesome, you can have some of that luxury right now!

You don't know the hurt three daredevils produce

The old (le true) daredevil, the translated old daredevil and the new post-nerf unnecessaryFAQ Daredevil.

when there are three cards... and two of them support TEH TRUE wording it's hard to see merit to FAQ system.

FAQ should never be errata. 

FAQ seems perfectly fine to me, makes sense you have to fire the weapon before anyone is actually defending against the attack... I mean it isn't like you call them up and say "hay other ship, Imma shoot you, just wanted to let you know".  Also the fire twice weapons like cluster missiles were obviously never intended to trigger gunner in between volleys, this just clears that up.

FAQ seems perfectly fine to me, makes sense you have to fire the weapon before anyone is actually defending against the attack... I mean it isn't like you call them up and say "hay other ship, Imma shoot you, just wanted to let you know".  Also the fire twice weapons like cluster missiles were obviously never intended to trigger gunner in between volleys, this just clears that up.

There's quite a few pilots whose abilities are obviously meant to work in a way that the FAQ now prevents. Collateral damage I suppose, all in the name of arbitrary consistency. Better wording and we never would have needed a flow chart for timing all this nonsense.

Vader crew is nerfed?

Yeah. He was hardcore nerfed. Can't TLT with Vader anymo... Wait, oh I mean can't cluster missile with Vader anymore.... So let's see, missile slot plus crew for empire... Oh man, my super OP combo of a firespray with Vader and cluster missiles is ruined! Hmmm, the more I think about it the more I'm thinking its less of a nerf and more of an alignment with the rest of the rules for clarity...

Vader Crew is only affected if you are trying to use him twice with a secondary weapon. "Vadering" twice with primary weapon attacks (via Gunner) still works the same as before.

A lot of nerfs, Tel and TFA damage deck got nerfed. Along with Vallen Rudor, Vader<crew>, Lando <crew> got nerfed with the double evade tokens. Now you really need something to make use of extra evade tokens since you can't spend 2 evades in a single attack.

Also the Deadeye/R4 combo has been NUKED! or sorry, got to explain is Star Wars Terms. Blown away by both the DEATH STAR, the DEATHSTAR II & STARKILLER BASE!

U-boats are no more. But hey IG-88A and scum cloaking device along with Sigma SPA got buffed.

You keep forgetting Overclocked/Deadeye still works fine. U-Boats as a whole have been nerfed, not nuked. Their straightforward variant has been removed, but the archetype remains.

An u-boat that isn't Blankout-proof and can't have even remote rliability pulling out 4\4 to bash through ace ablative token-shielding is a useless Uboat.

it's roughly the same as Soontir who can't spend more than one token, or K-wing that can't double-stress. A dead weight.

"Ohhh, my ship isn't infallible and mindless anymore! The excitement of actually worrying about what die result i'm going to get is back! Boo-hoo!"

Too bad that Palp Aces still generally won against U-Boats.

Aces can dodge U-Boats. Can't shoot at an Ace you can't see. Even if one ship does get arc, Soontir is still guaranteed to dodge that torpedo.

Also.... did i just catch you saying... that Soontir is now dead weight? Because he can't spend more than one evade token(He never has more than one on him) or more than one focus token(why would you spend more than one focus token)? What? Are we talking about the same pilot here?

You don't seem very good at paying attention. Nothing you have said about the FAQ or really anything in this thread is true. Please stop.

This is just the thing isn't it?

This argument that U-Boats were a good thing because they kept the Palp Aces at bay, when in fact they have one of their worst matchups against Palp Aces.

And when in fact they just bashed all the variety of lists keeping palp Aces in check before U-Boats came out.

Such fail arguments.

There are also exactly 2 people on this Forum defending U-Boats to the death while everyone else seems relieved that they are finally getting the much, much deserved nerf!

Just let me tell Warpy and PGS what they kept telling the poor Rebel players that had no really good lists left:

Come on, think harder, you can make U-Boats work! There is plenty of room to keep them playable. You know, like they were, U-Boats just were no brainer easy mode cookie cutter squads. Now you have a real challenge at least! Just accept it and you will become better players... XD

Edited by ForceM

Again, acting as if this was a U-Boat nerf when a popular and already sucessful U-Boat build is completely untouched by the FAQ is not a sensible position to take.

It isn't as if you now have to go back to the drawing board to come up with a new novel way to build out a U-Boat list, people had already been doing it in a way that is largely if not entirely unaffected by the FAQ.

If you thought they were a no-brainer cookie cutter squadron before, then nothing has changed except one droid for another.

Again, acting as if this was a U-Boat nerf when a popular and already sucessful U-Boat build is completely untouched by the FAQ is not a sensible position to take.

It isn't as if you now have to go back to the drawing board to come up with a new novel way to build out a U-Boat list, people had already been doing it in a way that is largely if not entirely unaffected by the FAQ.

If you thought they were a no-brainer cookie cutter squadron before, then nothing has changed except one droid for another.

The real change if you switch R4 for the overclocked Version is not actually in the alpha-strike, except if you roll more than one blank, which is actually a little nerf. You can get the focus and you can modify your torp shot, but you do take a stress for it and you will not be able to do it every turn, you will be forced to do more greens or have no modification and subsequent torp shots.

You also had this insanely good modification on your normal 2-3 turret shots. Focus then TL every turn, for no disadvantage. Now you can get double focus which does not help you on normal shots if you roll blanks. It does help you defensively, but you still have to plan more accurately because you will be stressed, and maybe not get the all-deciding torpedo-shot.

These 2-3 dice shots don't seem like much but if you throw them out with good accuracy and eat up the tokens of turtled up high agility ships or chip away at low-agility ships just to finish them with another torp, then this makes a difference.

So the R4 change is a nerf of the U-Boats list and even if it is not the end of the list, at least it will make sone of the matchups worse and discourage some players of choising it in the first place.

Also i honestly did not see nearly as many Overclocked builds as Agromech builds before this FAQ...

So VanderLegion thinks it wasn't ever gateway and I'm an idiot for thinking so. It's sooo difficult that they messed up the rules on Tabletop for cripes sake!!! It has always been mentally taxing! Or else they wouldn't have screwed up the rules.

Icelom now says, it is absolutely more gateway now than ever, and I'm an idiot. VanderLegion likes this post. Yep, time to move on from this thread.

Have you tried not being a passive-aggressive asshat?  More people might like you.