Sign in to follow this  
Warpman

FAQ Mess

....further on the "rabbit trail" I started, sorry; the so could have a feature that has every pilot card and upgrade card for reference....that way, if there are ships or mods you're not familiar with, you can quick-reference them without asking or leaning over the board to see the opposing player's cards (many of us don't have every ship/card)

The super simple squad builder on my phone has that, don't they all?

But marksmanship still works on TLt's and clusters, I'm assuming.

Yes. Marksmanship Horton TLT BTL is da bomb! If you want a Y-wing that's as expensive as Fel.

also squishy as hell, flies like a brick and has THE worst greeens EVER

Yes. Marksmanship Horton TLT BTL is da bomb! If you want a Y-wing that's as expensive as Fel.

I guess FAQing Horton with a EPT would cause him to be broken.

Well, I can't say that I agree with content of the OP, however I do agree with the title. I'm sure it won't resonate much in the echo chamber that is these forums, but for cripes sake, this was a pretty simple game.  It now requires a 19 page supplement to the rules to play (with flowchart!!!). It's getting harder and harder to sell this as a gateway game.  Again, won't matter much to the folks in the chamber, but in some ways that's kinda sad.

Maybe they'll make it all better with some more half-assed lip service to casual/objective/epic play, all while not bothering to update Mission Control. No, the sky isn't falling but there sure is a lot of smog.

Well, I can't say that I agree with content of the OP, however I do agree with the title. I'm sure it won't resonate much in the echo chamber that is these forums, but for cripes sake, this was a pretty simple game. It now requires a 19 page supplement to the rules to play (with flowchart!!!). It's getting harder and harder to sell this as a gateway game. Again, won't matter much to the folks in the chamber, but in some ways that's kinda sad.

Maybe they'll make it all better with some more half-assed lip service to casual/objective/epic play, all while not bothering to update Mission Control. No, the sky isn't falling but there sure is a lot of smog.

Flow charts are very noob friendly, as it allows them to walk step by step through the game as they are learning it. I'm sorry dude, but if you think xwing is complicated then the problem might not be with FFG. Edited by HolySorcerer

Best. Brick. Ever!

90876DD1-1B73-4CEC-97AC-A9460A414182.png

Well, I can't say that I agree with content of the OP, however I do agree with the title. I'm sure it won't resonate much in the echo chamber that is these forums, but for cripes sake, this was a pretty simple game.  It now requires a 19 page supplement to the rules to play (with flowchart!!!). It's getting harder and harder to sell this as a gateway game.  Again, won't matter much to the folks in the chamber, but in some ways that's kinda sad.

Flow charts are very noob friendly, as it allows them to walk step by step through the game as they are learning it. I'm sorry dude, but if you think xwing is complicated then the problem might now be with FFG.

If you think it's a great idea to pull in new gamers with the phrase "Hey on top of the rules, here's a handy 10 step flow chart to figure out combat resolution" then the problem may not be with me or FFG.  This was one of the games I would use with new gamer's due to it's simple elegance. I think it has deviated from that. But by all means, insinuate that maybe I'm just too stupid for games.

Edited by EastCoast

I guess FAQing Horton with a EPT would cause him to be broken.

R1 EU PTLing Horton of TLTing doom!11

If you think it's a great idea to pull in new gamers with the phrase "Hey on top of the rules, here's a handy 10 step flow chart to figure out combat resolution" then the problem may not be with me or FFG.  This was one of the games I would use with new gamer's due to it's simple elegance. I think it has deviated from that. But by all means, insinuate that maybe I'm just too stupid for games.

It still is simple and elegant.  I mean, what's changed?  Really?

You still play 100 point matches as standard.  The core rules remain the same.  The VAST majority of ships, abilities and scenarios in the game are unaffected by the latest FAQ.  And now, on the off chance you do happen to come across an odd combination of timings caused by multiple upgrades and abilities occurring in tandem, you have a clear procedure to follow.

Best. Brick. Ever!90876DD1-1B73-4CEC-97AC-A9460A414182.png

He also makes a really expensive Biggs if folks are ignoring the rest of your list. Like a super accurate stress hog without the stress.

15 point A-wings love to block targets, maybe that would help good old Brick Horton out.

You mean besides the 19 pages of errata, flowcharts, clarifications and timing rules? Oh, nothing. You guys are right. This is still the PERFECT gateway game for non-gamers. Sorry, I must have been having a "stupid" moment, Holy Sorceror called it first!! T

Core set, large ship and a couple small bases and maybe a vet/ace set and anyone can Fly Casual.

Core, most wanted, Slave One, HWK, Y-wing will get you started in two factions and getting a couple more Imp sets lets you fly all three.

Oh, wait, you were taking about building uber competitive tourney lists and being rules lawyers at the same time. Sorry. Just ignore me.

1TxGDaZLPjo.jpg

Best. Brick. Ever!

Fixed that for you

I sure loves my Y-bricks! Poor BT Kavil tho, neutered for the sake of clarity.

1TxGDaZLPjo.jpg

Best. Brick. Ever!

Fixed that for you

I sure loves my Y-bricks! Poor BT Kavil tho, neutered for the sake of clarity.

Kavil is still the best VI+EU+ProtonBomb+Extramunitions+Autoblaster turret+Genius junky ever

Flow charts are very noob friendly, as it allows them to walk step by step through the game as they are learning it. I'm sorry dude, but if you think xwing is complicated then the problem might now be with FFG.

"looks at Netrunner's and Star Wars LCG timing charts"

If you say so. 

You mean besides the 19 pages of errata, flowcharts, clarifications and timing rules? Oh, nothing. You guys are right. This is still the PERFECT gateway game for non-gamers. Sorry, I must have been having a "stupid" moment, Holy Sorceror called it first!! T

And none of that matters at all unless/until you decide to play competitively

...abd even if you ARE playing competitively, the number of times you'll ever need to refer to the FAQ are likely to be minimal.

If you're taking an upgrade, then odds are you're going to have taken it before, read it's rules and any FAQ entries in advance, tested it and will know how it works. The same goes for your opponents. And even if you run into an unfamiliar situation, that's where the YO's will be able to assist, and you'll remember the interaction afterwards.

But hey, let's not let a reality check get in the way of this week's episode of Overreaction Theater, shall we?

...abd even if you ARE playing competitively, the number of times you'll ever need to refer to the FAQ are likely to be minimal.

If you're taking an upgrade, then odds are you're going to have taken it before, read it's rules and any FAQ entries in advance, tested it and will know how it works. The same goes for your opponents. And even if you run into an unfamiliar situation, that's where the YO's will be able to assist, and you'll remember the interaction afterwards.

But hey, let's not let a reality check get in the way of this week's episode of Overreaction Theater, shall we?

Somebody is definitely overreacting, I agree. I mean, how dare I suggest the game is getting more complicated as new ships and mechanics are added to the point where I don't think it's a great gateway game any more. You're right, I'm waaaay out of line for even suggesting it.

The Core Set hasn't changed, EastCoast.  The rules haven't changed.  The basic game can still be as simple and straightforward as it always has been.  Give new players the T-65 and a couple of Academy TIEs and they'll no doubt have a blast, like they always have done.

I'm sorry if these simple, self-evident truths don't fit your agenda, but if you're introducing new players to the game by having them face the Dengar, Gunner and R5-P8 combo with the Valen Rudor Cluster Missiles combo highlighted in the most recent news article, then that's on you, not the game.

Edited by FTS Gecko

Somebody is definitely overreacting, I agree. I mean, how dare I suggest the game is getting more complicated as new ships and mechanics are added to the point where I don't think it's a great gateway game any more. You're right, I'm waaaay out of line for even suggesting it.

.. um don't play with new players using complex interactions. Stick to the basics. I hate to tell you this but you can show a new player with just basic x-wings vs tie fighters.... if you need to break out the flow chart when introducing new players then that's on you for not building straight forward fleets.

1 x-wing vs 2 Ties if that's to complex don't do any actions only move and shoot.

.. um don't play with new players using complex interactions. Stick to the basics. I hate to tell you this but you can show a new player with just basic x-wings vs tie fighters.... if you need to break out the flow chart when introducing new players then that's on you for not building straight forward fleets.

1 x-wing vs 2 Ties if that's to complex don't do any actions only move and shoot.

Hey look! You and I agree!  You can't roll out the full game to a non-gaming newcomer!!!  Imagine that!!!!