Sign in to follow this  
EbongHawk

New FAQ spawned this question from my group

So I am 100% certain you don't get to attack again but someone in my group read the new FAQ and came up with a question, I assume from his reading of it. Here is the scenario:

1. I have a ship at PS 7 and equip it with Veteran instincts to bump the pilot skill to 9.

2. An enemy ship at PS 8 uses Boba Fett on me and I choose to discard my veteran instincts thus reducing my PS back to the original 7.

3. Combat proceeds to PS 7.

Do I get an additonal activation. I saw that the FAQ clarified raising a PS (like Tevula) prevents you from becoming active but nothing is mentioned about lowering. I'm in the camp that would say you don't attack again but does anyone with a keener eye have a rule I can cite for this? I'm sure this has come up a some point and I just missed the post but the search tool is less than user friendly. Thanks in advance for the answers all.

So I am 100% certain you don't get to attack again but someone in my group read the new FAQ and came up with a question, I assume from his reading of it. Here is the scenario:

1. I have a ship at PS 7 and equip it with Veteran instincts to bump the pilot skill to 9.

2. An enemy ship at PS 8 uses Boba Fett on me and I choose to discard my veteran instincts thus reducing my PS back to the original 7.

Do I get an additonal activation. I saw that the FAQ clarified raising a PS (like Tevula) prevents you from becoming active but nothing is mentioned about lowering. I'm in the camp that would say you don't attack again but does anyone with a keener eye have a rule I can cite for this? I'm sure this has come up a some point and I just missed the post but the search tool is less than user friendly. Thanks in advance for the answers all.

Yeah the combat rules stating ships activate 1x per combat phase.

First off, you don't chose what card to discard when you get Boba'd. Second, no, that ship already activated. Just because it's Pilot Skill changed(which can happen with Damaged Cockpit) doesnt mean it's activation never happened. A ship only gets to activate once. Plus, part of activating is executing a maneuver, and you have no maneuver set.

This FAQ entry establishes that if a PS change causes you to miss a when a certain PS would have acted and you have not already activated, you lose your activation.

I do wonder if that holds true in the activation phase as well what happens in the following scenario:

A Green Squad A-Wing without initiative has VI (PS 5) and a Gamma Squad Vet drops a Proximity Mine on top of it. The Green Squad rolls a crit and draws Injured Pilot (old damage deck) which sets his PS down to 3.

Does the Green Squad lose his activation phase activation? 

They ****** up the Tel ruling, though. Combat should proceed, after a ship has attacked, "to the next ship on the board with the highest PS that has not yet attacked". Randomly getting screwed out of an attack because you used your own ability is BS.

The rules for activation order had this pretty well covered before the FAQ.

This FAQ entry establishes that if a PS change causes you to miss a when a certain PS would have acted and you have not already activated, you lose your activation.

I do wonder if that holds true in the activation phase as well what happens in the following scenario:

A Green Squad A-Wing without initiative has VI (PS 5) and a Gamma Squad Vet drops a Proximity Mine on top of it. The Green Squad rolls a crit and draws Injured Pilot (old damage deck) which sets his PS down to 3.

I dont think dropping PS will ever make you lose your activation, only the odd occasions where your PS increases (which I can think of any other then Tel right now)

I dont think dropping PS will ever make you lose your activation, only the odd occasions where your PS increases (which I can think of any other then Tel right now)

I'm talking about the activation phase, where low PS has already gone. It's essentially the same situation as having your PS raised during the combat phase.

They ****** up the Tel ruling, though. Combat should proceed, after a ship has attacked, "to the next ship on the board with the highest PS that has not yet attacked". Randomly getting screwed out of an attack because you used your own ability is BS.

I'm aware of that, but instead of this sh*tty ruling they should've revised the wording of rule, not screwed Tel over for no good reason.

I'm talking about the activation phase, where low PS has already gone. It's essentially the same situation as having your PS raised during the combat phase.

Uh... Yeah, i... i think that works. PS3 would have already activated, so... the GSP doesnt get to activate.

Man, that's a good one. I've never used Proximity Mines or seen them used, so I wasn't too familiar with them. After reading your post a couple times, reading the Proximity Mine current text, and reading how bombs work: I don't know. It seems like the A-Wing would miss its activation but I am not sure if that should be possible.

The rules do specify you only activate once during the combat phase, so no additional shot.

I'm not sure how true that is anymore now that Dengar (and no one else apparently) can shoot back at a bumped ship with Zeb crew...

Edited by darthlurker

The rules do specify you only activate once during the combat phase, so no additional shot.

I'm not sure how true that is anymore now that Dengar (and no one else apparently) can shoot back at a bumped ship with Zeb crew...

It specifically calls out that zeb's ship is still active when dengar takes his revenge shot, which is why it works

There's potential for a future ability here that would allow you to flip a Dual Card to its other side.

So for example Contracted Scout (PS 3) shoots a Green Squadron A-wing with Adaptability (-) (PS 2) and converts it to Adaptability (+).  The A-Wing is now PS 4 and having missed its activation cannot shoot.

I'm aware of that, but instead of this sh*tty ruling they should've revised the wording of rule, not screwed Tel over for no good reason.

I was agreeing with you.

First off, you don't chose what card to discard when you get Boba'd. Second, no, that ship already activated. Just because it's Pilot Skill changed(which can happen with Damaged Cockpit) doesnt mean it's activation never happened. A ship only gets to activate once. Plus, part of activating is executing a maneuver, and you have no maneuver set.

See I was trying to figure out what it was that stopped me from coming to this forum after I starting playing guildball and now I remember. The snobbish tone that persists in most threads is distasteful. See you when the next wave needs clarifying. I hope you (and several others that lurk the X-wing forum) find a way to post that is more inviting towards a discussion and comes off more approachable.

Thanks to those that contributed in a manner befitting a community for an excellent game.

See I was trying to figure out what it was that stopped me from coming to this forum after I starting playing guildball and now I remember. The snobbish tone that persists in most threads is distasteful. See you when the next wave needs clarifying. I hope you (and several others that lurk the X-wing forum) find a way to post that is more inviting towards a discussion and comes off more approachable.

Thanks to those that contributed in a manner befitting a community for an excellent game.

Whoa, neither of those look offensive to me at all. There's two people answering questions for you with no insults or name calling involved. Maybe you are reading something into those responses that I don't see but I'm not sure what's distasteful about them.

Edited by WWHSD

Whoa, neither of those look offensive to me at all. There's two people answering questions for you with no insults or name calling involved. Maybe you are reading something into those responses that I don't see but I'm not sure what's distasteful about them.

Agreed, a question was asked, and those both answer the question.

I'd hardly call it screwed over: you've got to be killed by PS 6 to 0 while you have Injured Pilot. It'll happen, sure, but it's hardly a regular thing.