Sign in to follow this  
Kiwi Rat

Will Mon Karren be the prefered Rebel choice???

As Demolisher is one of the prefered choices for Imperial players

Will Mon Karren be one of the prefered (must have) Rebel choices???

When combined with Intell officer and XI7, it will give most defending ships a hard time using their defence tokens effectivly. especially if the defender have one Brace and one or more Redirects.

The attacker would obviously target the Brace for removal with his IO, and the Redirects is almost next to useless VS XI7.

It gives the defender some very hard choices to make.

But what do you think? Is MK the title that balance things out for Rebel players, after they enviously have looked at Demolisher since wave 1?

The thing about Demolisher is you could build it to trade-up in points, effectively, treating it as an expendable glass cannon.  And if it lived, Great!

Mon Karen is going to have to deal with the fact that, after it extends itself, its Sides and rears are very vulnerable, and it is going to struggle to "trade up" Points wise against anything but a fully Tooled ISD....

Its going to be a piece of a Rebel Puzzle, but I don't even know if its going to be the edge piece you start with...

When combined with Intell officer and XI7, it will give most defending ships a hard time using their defence tokens effectivly. especially if the defender have one Brace and one or more Redirects.

The attacker would obviously target the Brace for removal with his IO, and the Redirects is almost next to useless VS XI7.

But what do you think? Is MK the title that balance things out for Rebel players, after they enviously have looked at Demolisher since wave 1?

I actually think XI7s and Intel Officer are redundant on Mon Karren.  The point of XI7s is to mitigate token use, while Mon Karren only allows one.  I do think Mon Karren is the star of the Liberty titles, and is good enough to where it really doesn't need XI7s or Intel Officer.  I'd rather save the points and throw those upgrades on a ship that needs them more.  Like another Liberty, AFMKII, MC30, or MC80

Without Engine Techs and Madine I think people will get frustrated with the Mon Karren.  This ship, like many of the Rebel ships, is a finesse ship and it is not hard to force it to over commit and then it gets pummeled or doesnt contribute much.  Unlike the ISD, which can tank a lot (especially with Motti), the Liberty can be a fragile ship.

Edited by Overdawg

I don't particularly like that many upgrades on the Liberty. It's a great ship with just Leading Shots attached. That's a huge amount of firepower for only 107 (Battle Cruiser). It's going to shine under Madine because of that weird nav chart and Engine Techs could turn it into the Intel Sweep champion, but I don't see any upgrade as mandatory on it.

If you neuter redirects with XI7 and intel or accuracy brace enemy will most likely have 1 token left to use anyway and Mon Karen wont get used much. If you use SW7 on star cruiser with cf order and Mon Karen you will do 7,25 dmg avarge allowing enemy to use only 1 token. Best way for the enemy is to keep bracing and use engineering to transfer shields from sides or so to targeted zone to make up for inability of using redirects. Overall i would go with XI7 and Spinal instead of Mon Karen and SW7 tough it depends what you are fighting against.

Edited by Microscop

I think the title would actually work very well in conjunction with XI-7s. If you get a single Accuracy (not too hard with four Blues) you can lock your opponent's Brace, and now they can only redirect a single point of damage.

Mon Karren is great because it is insurance against rolling zero accuracies, combos well with SW7, and kind of works against ECM, since even if they get to use the brace you accuracied, that will be all they get to do.

I think Mon Karren is great if you want to equip your ship with something else than Intel Officer, XI7 or anything else that gives accuracy. It's a title that doesn't care if you roll accuracy or not, it would have been great with black dice. I think it could combine well SW7 (since you don't really need acc) and crit weapons (since you should be able to reliably go through the shields). Since it doesn't exhaust any cards (like with Intel Officer) Gunnery Team should be great since both shot will be as threatening.

It's a good title, but I don't see it defining the rebel fleet in the futur.

[ flagship ] MC80 Star Cruiser (96 points)
Mon Karren  ( 8  points)
-  Raymus Antilles  ( 7  points)
-  Veteran Gunners  ( 5  points)
-  Spinal Armament  ( 9  points)
-  SW 7 Ion Batteries  ( 5  points

i think i would run it like that with madine

other generals i would add in nav teams, dodonna would like xx9's..

i think i would put in a hefty bid for first as wells as it seems more of an aggressive ship than defensive...

Mon Karren  ( 8  points)

i think i would put in a hefty bid for first as wells as it seems more of an aggressive ship than defensive...

Veteran gunners reroll all dice and your blues dont need that so its kinda a waste. Replace it with gunnery team and you might wreck 2 ships simulatnously.

I think the title would actually work very well in conjunction with XI-7s. If you get a single Accuracy (not too hard with four Blues) you can lock your opponent's Brace, and now they can only redirect a single point of damage.

But.. you don't actually need a title to achieve that.

But you will be able to cancel out any other defence tokens, Contain or Evade.

The MK+XI7 combo gives some very nifty token denial to any kind of target, If target don't have Redirect then XI7 is useless but MK then denies the use of the Brace+Evade defence combo.

Sometimes for a ship to survive the last salvo in a turn it needs to use three or four Defence tokens. When you deny the effective use of the Redirect with XI7, and then force your opponent to use only one Defence token. It just makes it harder for the defender to survive.

Many MC30's has survived on their Redirect+Evade combo often only with one hull point left. When MK'et they would not have ;)

Sometimes you roll a lot of hits and crits without any Accuracies, and despite Brace is used, hits still gets through only to have the hard earned crits cancelled out by the Contain token.

All Im saying every single shot counts and the MK+XI7 combo makes it even harder to cancel out the one remaining hit that is required to survive one more turn.

Mon Karren  ( 8  points)

Veteran gunners reroll all dice and your blues dont need that so its kinda a waste. Replace it with gunnery team and you might wreck 2 ships simulatnously.

Veteran Gunners actually pair well with SW7 and Mon Karren. You don't need accuracy since opponent is limited to only 1 token anyway. Veteran Gunner force you to reroll every dice, but SW7 garantee you that there is no risk of rerolling 2-3 acc on your blues. So if you got a bad red roll, reroll everything, if not keep it.

I don't mind the Mon Karren, but I've been more excited for the Endervor title and the usage of the ship as a sponge or stall option. Of course, I'll add a little flotilla behind it to constantly repair damage.

Well had some first hand experience of it last night in our first proxy game and it was a nasty suprise.

Mon Karren (Spinal, leading shots, engine techs, raymus) vs Interdictor at long range

5 damage to side incl crit.

Interdictor - Yay I get to brace. Three damage and I will contain the crit - I have two of them!

Mon Karren - No you won't.

Interdictor - ...... soddit.