Sign in to follow this  
Otacon

New Wave VIII FAQ with Timing Chart(and lots of timing ruling revisions)

Nah, not really. People were already using OCR4 instead of R4A anyway. Jumpmasters are still exceptional and Rebels just got weaker.

How did Rebels get weaker/

TLT no longer works twice with FCS and Tactician.
What about standard Stresshog with R3-A2

That's unaffected by the change. It's only "perform this attack twice" types of attacks that are impacted.

Yeah that's what i thought. The TLT double stress didn't work for a while now, and this now finally explains why in a clearer fashion, but the Warthog really attacks twice (one of which is a doubke attack) so can still double stress. So yay for Stresshogs! And if we had another range 3 turret this would definitely be a good alternative!

Considering the Overclocked lists, yes i have seen them played, but definitely not as widespread as Aggromechs...

But it is true that it weakens the J5Ks a tiny little bit. Now we will see more Proton torps i guess or a crewmember for each Jumpy instead of only Boba on one.

However i have no clue if it weakens them enough to see them any less played!

Edited by ForceM

So the new Kanan is at the end of the Clean Up phase of the "execute maneuver". Does this mean Kanan+MF title is no longer possible to combo into while 3-sloops?

The ship he removes the stress from still receives their stress and misses their action when they move. He removes the stress just before combat phase starts. So yes and no. Yes, if you don't mind missing your action you could do it every turn. No, you don't get your action after doing it.

That's incorrect. Performing an action is not one of the Execute Maneuver steps. It comes after that. The new MF title triggers during step 1, stress is assigned at 2b, Kanan clears the stress at the end of 2c, and you perform an action at step 3.

1. Reveal Dial

2. Execute Mavuever

a. Move Ship

b. Check Pilot Stress

c. Clean Up

3. Perform Action

*Speaking to unspoiled new Han's ability* Please don't suck, please don't suck.

I'm up for some Dengar-esque white Segnors' loop into PtL shenanigans on the Falcon.

Interesting that they haven't chosen to make it 100% explicit whether a ship thrown onto a rock via Tractor Beam rolls for damage from the roid or not. I still think it's possible to read the rule either way in good faith.

Edited by Rodafowa

Interesting that they haven't chosen to make it 100% explicit whether a ship thrown onto a rock via Tractor Beam rolls for damage from the roid or not. I still think it's possible to read the rule either way in good faith.

That's one of the only things in the FFG email thread that I've been maintaining that didn't get resolved with this FAQ.

The only real outstanding issues (not including new issue raised by changes) I think they missed covering:

- Tractor beams and obstacles. Do you ignore all the normal triggers and timing when applying obstacle effects.

- Clarified "opportunity to attack" in simultaneous fire. Does any opportunity to attack count or only the one from your activation?

- Done something with Bren to make his ability work in Tournament play.

All in all it was a fairly satisfying FAQ update.

Edited by WWHSD

Who said that Macross line? Man, this stings. I've waited 6 months to try my Punisher Defender double tap list without proxies, given the tease of the Tie S/F for more double tap, and now this. F it. I'm still gonna cluster it up.

A needed competitive nerf. Feels like a lot of casual casualties. Mwoar play testing (or better play testers) next time. Or just more buffs to those ships that need it.

The thing is, you don't know what they did catch in the first place. There were a ton of timing issues and complex interactions in this last wave.

Also, to expect a small pool to be able to catch the number of things thousands can is a bit too high of expectation.

Edited by AlexW

That's one of the only things in the FFG email thread that I've been maintaining that didn't get resolved with this FAQ.

The only real outstanding issues (not including new issue raised by changes) I think they missed covering:

- Tractor beams and obstacles. Do you ignore all the normal triggers and timing when applying obstacle effects.

- Clarified "opportunity to attack" in simultaneous fire. Does any opportunity to attack count or only the one from your activation?

They did clarify opportunity to attack (they talk about dengar and corrans abilities being able to trigger the new blinded pilot to flip it)

Well, this is interesting timing for a new FAQ for the two UK Regionals tomorrow...

i imagine if its THAT close to a tournament they wouldnt pay attention to the faq. Especially if you have to register your list beforehand, as a faq could easily make your list 100% useless.
Sounds like a good way to stop cheese in the future.

They did clarify opportunity to attack (they talk about dengar and corrans abilities being able to trigger the new blinded pilot to flip it)

That was in the old FAQ as well except it only discussed Corran's out of activation attack. 

I'm specifically referring to the Simultaneous Attack Rule and whether or not any opportunity to attack will cause the ship to be removed or if it is only removed an it's normal in activation opportunity to attack.

Well, this is interesting timing for a new FAQ for the two UK Regionals tomorrow...

i imagine if its THAT close to a tournament they wouldnt pay attention to the faq. Especially if you have to register your list beforehand, as a faq could easily make your list 100% useless.
Sounds like a good way to stop cheese in the future.

Switching some of the fundamental rules of the game the night before a large tournament after players have already had to commit to their list sounds like a good idea? 

Enforcing a day old FAQ that contains major changes (not just clarifications) is a horrible idea. The first game many players (and TOs) are going to be involved with under the new rules is going to be first round of the tournament. Many of the players that are playing aren't even going to know about all of the changes let alone the details of how it effects the particular list that they may have been practicing with for weeks.

Funny the changes occurred 3 days ago?  :huh:

FAQ_date.jpg

Turns out my leauge yesterday was not up to date on the rules that were just released today :wacko:

So turns out ALL OF YOU  have been playing the game WRONG! :P

Edited by Marinealver

So I tried to find the quote in the gazillion pages of FAQ posts, but someone mentioned Dark Curse getting a "collateral damage" nerf. Is that because you can now use Deadeye or blaster turret focus token first, then you declare DarkCurse as the target? Otherwise, everything during the combat phase remains as it was previous, yes?

So I tried to find the quote in the gazillion pages of FAQ posts, but someone mentioned Dark Curse getting a "collateral damage" nerf. Is that because you can now use Deadeye or blaster turret focus token first, then you declare DarkCurse as the target? Otherwise, everything during the combat phase remains as it was previous, yes?

Nothing changed with Dark Curse in this FAQ. He has been able to be attacked by Blaster Turrets and Deadeye for at least a few FAQ revisions now. The only thing that changed in the entry is that FFG now directs you to the new flow chart  to understand why the ruling in the FAQ is the way that it is.

The same rules that "nerfed" Dark Curse just got applied to the R4 Agromech FAQ entry and now everyone is noticing. Those rules were changed when the TFA Core Set was released.

Edited by WWHSD

What does common sense tell you... Search your feelings..

Seems pretty basic to me. Yes you roll for damage and not it doesn't allow you to do anything else..

Seems pretty basic to me. Yes you roll for damage and not it doesn't allow you to do anything else..

Tractor Beam is clarified in Imp Vets.

They added a line.

"This is not an action or a maneuver, and can cause the ship to overlap obstacles (but not other ships). The ship suffers the effect of any obstacle it overlaps."

That second sentence was new. I reviewed all three rules cards in imp vets to see if I needed to replace any in my kit.

The idea of being in a major tournament and having the rules clarified (or changed) as you say ... just means the best players will still rise to the top.

The Force must be strong where I play because no one here will change the way we play.. I think having a early meeting before the tournament going over the FAQ.

Then giving the players a half hour to rethink there strategies. Not allowing any changes.. Then play. The best will rise to the occasion.

Wait, FCS got nerfed?

Yes a bit, but I'm not sure how many used TLT/Cluster Missiles with FCS. Maybe the VCX, but that's about it. 

Punishers can run FCS and Clusters pretty easily.  It was about the only thing going for them too.  :P

The idea of being in a major tournament and having the rules clarified (or changed) as you say ... just means the best players will still rise to the top.

The Force must be strong where I play because no one here will change the way we play.. I think having a early meeting before the tournament going over the FAQ.

Then giving the players a half hour to rethink there strategies. Not allowing any changes.. Then play. The best will rise to the occasion.

Unless you were traveling a good distance and only brought your triple jumps with R4, so there was no real chance to change it. I think this would have a significant affect on even a good player.

I know some are feeling like their dad just broke your Lightsaber. This is a good thing. Everyone wanted the U-Boat's Nerfed. This looks like someone took a huge drink of common sense. Okay I'll stop being the antagonist... lol. Enjoy..

Why would common sense tell you to roll for damage?

Go look at the rules for overlapping obstacles. There are some specific timings given for when things happen. Timings that make no sense in the context of forced movement that happen in the combat phase. Asteroids tell you to skip you perform action step and after skipping the step roll for damage. Debris instruct you to recieve a stress token after the check for stress step and then roll for damage after the perform action step. If you don't have a perform action or check for stress step until your activation the following turn when exactly do you do these things? How will those effects interact with other abilities that may get triggered during that forced movement? Do you skip the perform action step in the next round? Do you recieve a stress the next time you hit a check pilot stress step?

There's a lot more complexity involved than just "Use common sense and take the damage". Common sense is all well and good during a game and you need a quick answer to keeping playing. It's not a good solution for a set of rules that you expect people around the world to follow with some level of uniformity.

Nah, not really. People were already using OCR4 instead of R4A anyway. Jumpmasters are still exceptional and Rebels just got weaker.

How did Rebels get weaker/

TLT no longer works twice with FCS and Tactician.

To be fair, that should never have been a thing anyway.

This wasn't just a minor FAQ that clarified some things. FFG actually made significant changes to the combat sequence. They added new timing windows so the order of operations will change in many cases, they overhauled how weapons like Cluster Missiles and TLT work and changed when ships are destroyed.

If we were talking about a small local tournament, sure put the FAQ into play immediately. There's no better way to learn the changes than to have to play with them. For a large event with people that are travelling to play and are more likely to want a stricter adherence to rules, this is has to be an absolute nightmare to TO.