Sign in to follow this  
Otacon

New Wave VIII FAQ with Timing Chart(and lots of timing ruling revisions)

I think part of what we do not see is that they are well into development of Wave 10, and the already know what is in all of wave 9. What we see as nerf/buff to what we are playing with now, they are (hopefully) looking at what is coming and are trying to clear things up and mitigate before the new stuff hits the tables. Clearly they cannot think of everything, but as frustrated as I am with a couple of things in this FAQ, I am hopeful tht it will be counterbalanced with something being less broken later. We probably will never know, but I remain hopeful.

I think it is far more clear that they simply missed the J5K combination of R4 and Deadeye, then couldn't find a way to fix it, so they simply changed the rules to make it no longer work.  That the R4/Blaster Turret combination works the exact same way and has gone unchanged since Scum was released as a faction is testament to the fact that it was originally meant to work the way it worked until literally today.

I don't really care, I have never run Torp Scouts.  But they should/could have at least been honest about it, instead of pretending this is some new issue that was always meant to work another way.

I may still be a bit confused as to the difference between Gunner and TLT/Cluster missiles. If what you say is true, thing like Tactician still double stress/activate with Gunner/IG88B, just not single weapons like Clusters and TLT.

Correct?

I may still be a bit confused as to the difference between Gunner and TLT/Cluster missiles. If what you say is true, thing like Tactician still double stress/activate with Gunner/IG88B, just not single weapons like Clusters and TLT.

Correct?

Correct. Secondary weapons that say to attack twice function as a ingle attack for things like fcs, tactician and vader crew. Things that give an extra attack (gunner, btla4, tie/d, ig-b, etc),'still work the same

Correct?

Correct.

Gunner IG-88B require an attack to miss before they trigger at all.  So an attack has to be fully completed from start to finish.  This spawns a second full attack (which can be done with a different weapon entirely e.g.: Primary -> Cannon for IG-88B).  So things that trigger "after an attack" trigger twice.  Once for the initial attack (which generally misses), and once for the second attack made via Gunner/IG/Luke.

TLT/Cluster Missiles are one attack that has two sets of dice rolls.  So things that trigger of attacks only do so once.

And Palp Aces are now just, well, insane? Even more so? Cool.

Yep, nerfing TLT to only one attack for Tactician and FCS just makes Palp Aces even more insane.

In fact, no. The U-Boat nerf will make the Rebel shield regen lists and maybe Rebel Stress lists come back. They were what kept Palp Aces on the floor before U-Boats came.

That being said, U-Boats are still very powerful, just that they can no longer guarantee 4 hits with 94% (or so) probability. They could however just go for Overclocked R4 in conjunction with Proton torps instead of Plasma. This is still very very accurate and scary.

My hope is that all those who just played them because they were OP don't find them OP enough anymore and go for something else! That would lead to people countering aces more than countering U-Boats, and to a much more diverse meta!

And Palp Aces are now just, well, insane? Even more so? Cool.

Yep, nerfing TLT to only one attack for Tactician and FCS just makes Palp Aces even more insane.

In fact, no. The U-Boat nerf will make the Rebel shield regen lists and maybe Rebel Stress lists come back. They were what kept Palp Aces on the floor before U-Boats came.

That being said, U-Boats are still very powerful, just that they can no longer guarantee 4 hits with 94% (or so) probability. They could however just go for Overclocked R4 in conjunction with Proton torps instead of Plasma. This is still very very accurate and scary.

My hope is that all those who just played them because they were OP don't find them OP enough anymore and go for something else! That would lead to people countering aces more than countering U-Boats, and to a much more diverse meta!

Nah, not really. People were already using OCR4 instead of R4A anyway. Jumpmasters are still exceptional and Rebels just got weaker.

Nah, not really. People were already using OCR4 instead of R4A anyway. Jumpmasters are still exceptional and Rebels just got weaker.

How did Rebels get weaker/

TLT no longer works twice with FCS and Tactician.

Correct?

Yes.

This is why: TLT and Clusters perform this attack twice, which means you dont reacquire a target or respend anything to attack. All abilities dependent on becoming the target do not doubleproc either. Gunner, Luke, and IG88B is not this attack. They say you may perform an attack with primary/secondary respectively. THIS attack is a completely separate attack which lets you pick a new target and also demands any costs for the attack if applicable again. The stipulation here is you have to miss with your initial attack. The first attack is completely resolved before they proc, which means you can also proc tac or vader. TLT/Clusters doesnt finish the attack steps since its not a proc to fire the 2nd round of dice.

Edited by Vineheart01

According to the Declare Target step in the flowchart you can pre-measure your attacks? Is this new?

You could always premeasure your attack options before you decided who you were going to attack.

I guess I've been playing with one arm tied behind my back then. Good grief.

According to the Declare Target step in the flowchart you can pre-measure your attacks? Is this new?

You could always premeasure your attack options before you decided who you were going to attack.

I guess I've been playing with one arm tied behind my back then. Good grief.

You may be getting the TL measurement rule confused here. During activation, you cannot premeasure all over the board before choosing to TL. You must declare your intent to TL a specific ship, then measure only to that ship to ensure you are in range to acquire TL.

This can be abused by pointlessly measuring something obviously in Range 1, and thus gaining additional range info on other ships or obstacles.

Oh, but a Y-Wing BTL with TLT would still attack three times? right?

Edited by Ken at Sunrise

Am I correct that Vader (crew) got nerfed with the attack ruling?

I was worried about that for a moment too. I read Vader's red text twice and felt bad, and then got to FCS and felt even worse. I've been using a pretty standard DoomShuttle combo of Vader>FCS>Gunner>Vader after attacking. I thought it odd that they would nerf that after explicitly saying in past FAQs that Vader>Gunner>Vader works. Then I noticed that it was after secondary attacks, which I had overlooked a couple times, and breathed a sigh of relief.

The attack timing flow chart doesn't seem like any big changes to the way I was already doing anything. I had to reread that a couple times too, looking for something huge that would change everything, but I wasn't seeing it.

I was confused a bit by Dengar's text: "When Dengar is attacked by a ship that is
at Range 1 of Biggs Darklighter, if Dengar chooses to use his ability, he attacks the ship that just attacked him rather than Biggs Darklighter." Is the reason he does not attack Biggs because his card text specifically says "perform an attack against THAT ship" rather than anything along the lines of "declare that ship as a target of attack?"

I think the confusion is when you can and cannot premeasure.

Premeasure in this game isnt defined as strict blind distance guesswork. When you are setting up for an attack (i.e. still in the activation phase) you cannot measure because you have nothing to measure unless you are trying to TL. You cant measure just to measure in this game there has to be a reason for it, but the way its worded is once you try to do something you arent going to lose the action/attack if you find you cant do it - you just "do something else" - this prevents people doing what 40k players like to do right now. They'll spend several minutes moving their troops up so theyre JUUUUUST out of threat range of something that could murder their faces off - THAT is illegal in xwing, since that is measuring just to measure.

If you declare an attack and find hes out of range, you just pick a new target. In old 40k rules before premeasure, you'd lose your attack. And it was utter bs lol

Oh, but a Y-Wing BTL with TLT would still attack three times? right?

Yes and has 2 windows where after attacking/defending abilities will trigger.

If you declare an attack and find hes out of range, you just pick a new target. In old 40k rules before premeasure, you'd lose your attack. And it was utter bs lol

Interesting. This is how I assumed it worked (pick a new target, not lose your attack), but I guess what I missed before is that you can measure to all targets and check arc before declaring the target of your attack.

If it makes you feel better, Rudor can't boost into R1 after the first TLT shot to deny the second anymore.

Edited by Valca

That too. But at that point it really doesnt affect anything since you cant move.

The loose premeasure rules are there to prevent you from checking distance then boosting/barrelrolling. The only legal way to do that now is to have 2 actions and TL first, or attempt a TL and must take the TL if you are in range (which is mostly used to see if you are in range3 at all and boost forward if you arent).

This is a topic that outside the activation phase basically doesnt exist.