Sign in to follow this  
thecorinthian

Will there ever be more expansions?

A lot of people (myself included) have assumed that Innsmouth was the last expansion. We were expecting it to be the "last expansion" before it even came out. Mainly because it seems like there aren't any more towns, and because some of the previous expansions were 'setting up' for Innsmouth (by including aquatic monsters etc), whereas it doesn't seem like Innsmouth is setting up for anything later.

But where does the idea come from? Has FFG or KevinW himself ever actually said that there'll be no more expansions after Innsmouth?

I'm just curious, because I think I've been taking it for granted that IH is 'The End', but I can't remember ever reading an official source for that information.

I'd like to know this as well. I'm considering building some kind of custom storage solution for the game and all its expansions, and knowing the answer to this would go a long way to help me make some decisions in the design process.

I can't see how FFG would end the AH line, knowing how popular it is, but how many expansions can they put out before it becomes oversaturated? There are already so many different types of cards, sheets and tokens it's hard enough to wrap your head around. How much more can they add before it just becomes too bloated for its own good?

Well, personally I think they should have put the expansions a bit more a part, but that is nothing pressing.  I am not sure of what other Great old ones or Outer Gods they can incorporate that have not been used.  They can take us to Egypt entirely where the birth of Necronomicon can play a big role, they can even use the story of the Horror at Red Hook, they can probably choose to put the investigators in the Other World as well, say like the dreamlands, dream quest of unkown kadath?? Or maybe the nameless city which is another one of his works.  The cats of Ulthar or even the mountains of madness expedition might be cool to but I am not sure.  I think as long as people are buying them...they'll make em'...and if they use all of Lovecraft content, well I guess they are gonna have to resurrect him and make him write some more lol.

I could definitely see how they might create another small expansion, but a big one?

Not only has the game board doubled in size by now, they're also pretty much out of Ancient Ones.

thecorinthian said:

A lot of people (myself included) have assumed that Innsmouth was the last expansion. We were expecting it to be the "last expansion" before it even came out. Mainly because it seems like there aren't any more towns, and because some of the previous expansions were 'setting up' for Innsmouth (by including aquatic monsters etc), whereas it doesn't seem like Innsmouth is setting up for anything later.

But where does the idea come from? Has FFG or KevinW himself ever actually said that there'll be no more expansions after Innsmouth?

I'm just curious, because I think I've been taking it for granted that IH is 'The End', but I can't remember ever reading an official source for that information.

I would guess yes.  My reasoning?

A)FFG is a business, and Arkham Horror is a money generating commodity

B)If there were a serious intention for Innsmouth Horror to be the last Arkham Horror expansion, it probably would have been marketed as such.  The fact that they didn't indicates to me that either FFG expects there to be more expansions or did not want to close off the possibility of further expansions in the future.

Obviously I can't be certain...  But if I were forced to bet on it, I'd bet yes.

As has been shown by fan creations and as is obvious once you've read it, 'At The Mountains Of Madness' has all the ingredients to be an expansion board. Arctic camps, huge ruins, hordes of elder things... It can easily be implemented with the same sort of mechanics as the other town expansions. In fact, if the powers of game creation re watching, ATMOM gets my vote. This would be a definite launch day buy.

thecorinthian said:

But where does the idea come from? Has FFG or KevinW himself ever actually said that there'll be no more expansions after Innsmouth?  I'm just curious, because I think I've been taking it for granted that IH is 'The End', but I can't remember ever reading an official source for that information.

I remember something from Kevin way back in the day (shortly after Dunwich had come out) which suggested that Innsmouth was an expansion they had had in mind since day one.  Basically he was addressing fan questions about whether or not FFG would ever make the obvious Innmouth expansion.  So he said it was something they were planning to do, and something that was very much in line for production, but I definitely did not get the impression that Innsmouth was necessarily "the end" of the game's expansions.  Perhaps the end of what they had planned when the game first launched, but not necessarily the last thing they would ever publish.

I agree there doesn't seem to be much material left, at least from the content originally published by HPL himself, but I'm sure there's enough to work with for a couple more expansions.  I also would love to see something about Mountains of Madness, as that is probably one of my favourite HPL stories of the bunch.  Beyond that I'm not sure what they would do, but I do agree that they will likely continue making stuff as long as the game remains profitable.

Ooooh yes, ATMOM would make an excellent expansion.

I wonder if there would be enough locations in the setting to require another board, or if it could be done completely with cards. Not sure how they'd add any new Ancient Ones for this, as there wasn't anything close to one in the original story (if memory serves me).

At The Mountains of Madness would almost work except for one fatal flaw.

There's no way to travel to the freaking ARCTIC CIRCLE in one turn by spending a $1. There's have to be a completely seperate travel mechanic for the place and it better be incredibly difficult to get there and back, if it's even possible at all.

Magic Pink said:

There's no way to travel to the freaking ARCTIC CIRCLE in one turn by spending a $1. There's have to be a completely seperate travel mechanic for the place and it better be incredibly difficult to get there and back, if it's even possible at all.

Yes.  We can kill Shoggoths with shotguns, but travel to the Arctic Circle for $1?  Inconceivable!

Avi_dreader said:

Magic Pink said:

Yes.  We can kill Shoggoths with shotguns, but travel to the Arctic Circle for $1?  Inconceivable!

It's the Antarctic and its much further!sad.gif  And why even go?  Santa Claus doesn't live there. 

And $10 isn't too much to ask. Several of the personal stories require $15.

I think FFG is just diverting resources for now.  Everything I read on the News is about the new RPG system or the other card games.  The collective Arkham was pushed out in a relatively short time, and if the forum is any indication of interest, it's gaining more players by the day.  And somewhere down the road, when some other aspects of FFG have been released to walk by themselves for a while, someone will say, "How about a Yig Expansion?"

Note that in the midst of all this Arkham, Kevin had time to birth his brainchild "Android".  Not my cup of tea for the cutthroat-ish gameplay, but beautiful and fascinating nonetheless.  So just because FFG's not talking much about Arkham doesn't mean it's been forgotten.

That said, I'm not certain how much I would appreciate another big box, but I'm all for a pack of small boxes that would raise the stakes for the oft-scoffed "older" Ancient Ones: Yig, Ithaqua, a better Nyarlathotep.  Alternate Personal Story Cards, for random draws.  (How about Story Cards that require two Investigators to complete?)  New decks, like Corruptions and Blights.  The much-desired "Combo" expansion, for use when all expansions are used at once.  And always new Heralds.  You don't need a giant $50 box for players to whine ab...er, for any of that. gran_risa.gif

I haven't played them yet, but the fan expansions I've seen for Mountain of Madness and Sea of Horror and other things look like they could be quite cool.  But what I think might work for another big box expansion is to be something that's more of a "toolkit"; a few different smaller side boards (e.g. an Outskirts board, an underground board, etc.), new scenarios, new investigators and GOOs, some new special decks (I love things like the Clue card idea, and the Lost Tower and Rising Threat ideas) and who knows what else.    I never really cared much for the small box expansions... they mostly just add more cards to the existing decks and I haven't bothered using them much... so I'd rather see a big box that includes some more variant game-changing things, if not something that's based on a more cohesive, location-based subject (e.g. Innsmouth, Dunwich).

I suspect that  with AH as popular as it is, we'll probably at least see more sets of Investigators and GOOs, like Flying Frog has released their "Hero Packs" for Last Night on Earth and A Touch of Evil.   And frankly, I'd rather get a new set of those than another small box.  Or, I could see them moving to more of a "medium" box expansion that includes something like 4-8 new investigators, 2-4 new GOOs, 1-2 new Heralds and Guardians, a few scenario cards, a small side board or two with some special rules and locations, and a few additional cards and tokens to go along with whatever is needed from the rest of the stuff.

We've seen the custom dice released now, and the painted miniatures (though they were aborted)... There's also supposedly an AH dice game in the works and I've heard whisperings about a computer version of the game being developed.  So certainly the license is still being worked quite heavily and with the intention that it is a living and active property.  Of course, this is all speculation, but I would think we'll see at least one more small box expansion and/or investigator/GOO kind of package, and possibly another big box.  

Of course, there have also been rumors that the third mystery box is another AH expansion.  That would be surprising, so soon after Innsmouth, but who knows...  Could be.

Grudunza said:

There's also supposedly an AH dice game in the works and I've heard whisperings about a computer version of the game being developed.  

The dice game rumours have pretty much all came from people who saw the custom dice box packaging and went to town with speculation. If anyone has anything other than rumour, cool, but really, isn't AH enough of a dice game already? :)

Azure Flame forever!

I think there's already more than enough game mechanics that are very rarely used (barred from the neighbourhood, anyone?) and I can't think of any new locations or other worlds that could greatly add to the game at this point. So, instead of another boxed expansion, I think FFG should release just a "booster pack" containing some new Investigators and Ancient Ones, plus a bunch of Heralds (properly printed Dark Pharaoh and Dunwich Horror included, of course). Why not a couple more Guardiands while we're at it. It could probably be priced rather low, and they could market it to both newbies and hard-core fans of the game. I'd buy it.

-Villain

My pipe dream expansion would be a patch kit of sorts, one that evens out the expansions to increase activity in the outlying towns and the four additional Other Worlds.

It's a pipe dream because FFG's expansions almost universally follow the philosophy that each one could be the first, and it would provide maximum utility for people who own and play with every expansion, probably reducing its saleability to under the threshold to make it worthwhile in a business sense, but I would like it.

Magic Pink said:

Gates work - just allow gates that open in the arctic to be reached via gates from anywhere, like gate box.

Is AH over? Nope.

RevGiark said:

Grudunza said:

There's also supposedly an AH dice game in the works and I've heard whisperings about a computer version of the game being developed.  

The dice game rumours have pretty much all came from people who saw the custom dice box packaging and went to town with speculation. If anyone has anything other than rumour, cool, but really, isn't AH enough of a dice game already? :)

Azure Flame forever!

Read this.  It's more of an Arkham Horror Express thing, I guess...

Magic Pink said:

I see what you're saying, but considering we're talking about a game where the heroes are fighting to save the very fabric of reality from unknowable ancient horrors beyond the understanding of mortal man, I don't think this particular detail is really a stopping block.  I mean, the Plateau of Leng is one of the "other worlds" in the base game.  IIRC, the Plateau of Leng is just a mesa somewhere on the antarctic continent full of ruins of some ancient civilization lost to history (and infested with Shoggoths and Elder Things.)  So it's already part of the board game that myserious portals are appearing in the town of Arkham which allow investigators to WALK to Antarctica and back in the "game time" it takes to complete three or so turns.

That said, I don't think Mountains of Madness provides too many different locations in the story.  I would hope the Plateau would have at least a few of them to account for how big the city is described as being, but even so it would probably come up shy.  They could add a few sea locations along one side of the board and say that any investigators travelling to this board must travel along these sea locations, one at a time and having encounters/paying money at each.  That would extend the journey from Arkham to Antarctica quite nicely while still allowing the expansion to be made.

A travel mechanic to another continent should cost more than $1 and take more than a couple turns, but each turn you're "at sea" you'll get an "at sea" encounter, such as getting hit with a violent storm or the crew mutinies or falls ill or something. That would rock.

The ocean would be two or three spaces, similar to Other Worlds. You arrive when you move off the last space.

This mechanic would work well to move between New England, Egypt, Antarctica, or Severn Valley in England.