Sign in to follow this  
egalor

Name of the Emperor?

MILLANDSON said:

Well, he was born in central Anatolia, present-day Turkey, in 8000 B.C., so I would guess he'd have a Turkish name.

Really?  Can you share your source for this info?  I am new to the 40K universe, so I am playing catch-up here.

Sister Cat said:

Oh SNAP!!!  That would be so incredibly awesome-ironic!  ... All Hail Bob, the God-Emporer of Mankind! 

May he reign for eternity!!!  gran_risa.gif

ROTFL!! This made me howl with madness! And I can only hear this being announced by Blackadder himself.

CanadianPittbull said:

ROTFL!! This made me howl with madness! And I can only hear this being announced by Blackadder himself.

[blink ... blink]  Please excuse my ignorance, but ... what?  lengua.gif

The story of the Emperor's origin in Anatolia was first told in the Realms of Chaos books (Slaves to Darkness & The Lost and the Damned) back in 1st edition.  There's been a passing mention in one of the Horus Heresy stories more recently, so we can assume it hasn't been ret-conned.

The Blackadder reference is to do with an episode where a pretty young woman masquerades as a boy called Bob to get a job as Blackadder's page.  Mr B is somewhat perturbed by his developing feelings for this 'boy'.

"What's your name boy?"

"Kate"

"Isn't that rather a girl's name?"

"Er... It's short for ...Bob, yes that's it, Bob!"

PGMason said:

The story of the Emperor's origin in Anatolia was first told in the Realms of Chaos books (Slaves to Darkness & The Lost and the Damned) back in 1st edition.  There's been a passing mention in one of the Horus Heresy stories more recently, so we can assume it hasn't been ret-conned.

The Blackadder reference is to do with an episode where a pretty young woman masquerades as a boy called Bob to get a job as Blackadder's page.  Mr B is somewhat perturbed by his developing feelings for this 'boy'.

"What's your name boy?"

"Kate"

"Isn't that rather a girl's name?"

"Er... It's short for ...Bob, yes that's it, Bob!"

Sweet!  Thanks for the clarification.  That adds yet another level of irony!  gran_risa.gif

No offense to the person of the divine God-Emporer of Mankind!  Nope, I'm not a heretic, I swear!  Really, I swear!  gran_risa.gif

CanadianPittbull said:

Hey, I was just about to suggest that the Emperor might actually BE one of Edmund Blackadder's descendants. partido_risa.gif

Sorry I had just assumed most knew of or about the Blackadder series. :P

And PG was right on the money with my reference.  It is from the episode Bells from Blackadder II. Check out youtube for some clips. Also Lord Flashheart is a hilarious character in that episode. Maybe his real name is Bernard. :P   But I digress from derailing the topic at hand.

Before being enthroned to the Golden Throne the Emperor actually signed several documents (for example Rogue Trader charters) in person. The signature was:

I .

The "I" could mean "Imperator", but it might (just might) also be his initial... The dot was a single of Emperors own blood pressed on the document to seal the authentity of the signature.

Polaria said:

Before being enthroned to the Golden Throne the Emperor actually signed several documents (for example Rogue Trader charters) in person. The signature was:

I .

The "I" could mean "Imperator", but it might (just might) also be his initial... The dot was a single of Emperors own blood pressed on the document to seal the authentity of the signature.

Is this before or after he was crippled by horus? And curious whats your source for this info..

But seriously, what a massive story hook!!

The Rogue Trader warrant the players are after/have just found isnt so important because of the massive wealth and power it grants the bearer... it because there is a of the Emperors actual Blood on it!! Magos Biologus, Space Marine chaplains, chaos forces (especially Abbaddon) would tear star systems apart to get that !!! Even if the genetic parts are long since gone and cant be cloned from, its still a relic up there with the most prized of the Space Marines ones!!

S.K.

Yeah, I've heard too that the Emperor was born somewhere on the territory of Anatolia.

But still, the name Bob was suggested at least once at the late BL forums.

Bob, it might be.

"For the Emperor Bob!"

Kylen said:

Just trying to find out could, in itself, be a plothook if you need SOMETHING to take up player's time.

Now why does that idea remind me of a notorious filler episode of the Naruto anime series where Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura try to stalk their masked ninja master Kakashi and try to get a look at what his face looks like underneath the mask? lengua.gif

Varnias Tybalt said:

Kylen said:

Just trying to find out could, in itself, be a plothook if you need SOMETHING to take up player's time.

Now why does that idea remind me of a notorious filler episode of the Naruto anime series where Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura try to stalk their masked ninja master Kakashi and try to get a look at what his face looks like underneath the mask? lengua.gif

Oh no, not that anime, please. :)

There are however, some vintage manga (or is that anime?) that I really like though:

Cobra Space Adventures (remember that bloody stylish guy with a cannon under his fake hand?),

Albator (a story of the space pirate - an absolute analogue of the Rogue Trader as we know it), and

Capitaine Flam (French translation of Captain Future comics).

There was an interesting theory doing the rounds on the old Black Library forums about how the Emperor's name was actually Malcador. The Emperor ruled from behind the scenes as Malcador, and the big, gold fella in the fancy armour was one of the two "lost" Primarchs who was the "face" of the Emperor. 

According to this theory, "Malcador" actually transferred his consciousness to the Golden Throne during the Horus Heresy, before sending his greatest puppet to face (and kill) Horus. The corpse of the unnamed puppet Primarch was then transferred (in his critically wounded state) to be the "face" of the Emperor for one last time. 

There is no real evidence to substantiate any of this, but it's a pleasing conspiracy theory, as it's impossible to disprove. The only  argument that can really be advanced in its favour is that the "Emperor" is a fairly unusual figure, in that he appears to be about 8 feet tall, ie Primarch sized.

It kind of makes sense that the REAL emperor would be a more anonymous figure, given that he's been knocking around since 8,000BC. Anonyous like the hooded, secretive Malcador. Quite how an 8 foot tall bronze skinned superhuman could hide his light under a bushel for 38,000 years is never clearly explained. (although some argue "duh, it's his psychic powers, stupid!")

I've just noticed this answer is almost entirely humourless. Sorry. So I reckon the Emperor's real name is Ralph.