Sign in to follow this  
mcworrell

The interdictor

Does anybody else feel that so far the breakout stars of this reveal are better for Rebels than Imperials? By a lot?

At least the MC30 had a lot of really powerful Rebel only cards, I feel like all the unique Imperial stuff here I have to think up unusual scenarios to make it good.

Sometimes I have no idea what you are talking about.

First off, Imperials just got a way to make their use of Tractor Beams extremely useful.

They are getting more synergy and they are getting new tactical capabilities. So when you say the rebels are getting all the good cards, I have no idea what you are talking about.

I am right there with you, I think that the Rebels did get much better stuff. I like the interdictor, but think you are paying to much for the option to pay more by adding stuff to it. With out adding stuff to it, it is a poor combat ship, with adding stuff it is just so expensive you now have to ask yourself is it worth the cost? I play almost exclusively the empire, but am having a very hard time building a list for the Fleet Commanders Contest. Between my play style and the ships ability's I can not find any synergy, but looking at the Rebles was able to make one that looks good in about 20 minutes.

So what you are saying is that the Interdictor is not something you are used to building with and are unsure what to do with it?

If I may say armada is a very unusual game:

It is extremely more centered around the list and most importantly how you plan to run that list than any other game. I've found that a good list plus it's plan is centrally the most important part of armada.

The funny part is the plan. While you can have a plan, a truly useful plan requires a few games to test setups and certain strategies. Since this game is so long it thus means most have very little time for gaining that experience. This causes the game to be much much much more in favor of the dedicated player than the average game.

On the flip side, an optimized list has so many little facets that are hugely important but minor in difference that many Lists seem to be good lists. It's actually not true: a very small portion of lists are so highly maximized as to achieve their full potential. And these lists are hugely more powerful than an okay list with a good plan.

This relates to the interdictor for me in this way: things like the grav tokens are very hard to understand without experience playing them or a literal certain pattern of rock and token set up that is created from a lot of individual play testing hours. It's not apparently obvious if these new upgrades are amazing or horrible or excruciatingly good with the exact right plan.

the interdictor is a support ship

the question then becomes "how can we abuse it?"

the answer is probably GSDs. They're a bit light on durability but very high on close range damage output, allowing a G8 + scrambler interdictor to support them both by keeping enemies in place and neutering any return fire they might suffer at close range

Does anybody else feel that so far the breakout stars of this reveal are better for Rebels than Imperials? By a lot?

At least the MC30 had a lot of really powerful Rebel only cards, I feel like all the unique Imperial stuff here I have to think up unusual scenarios to make it good.

Sometimes I have no idea what you are talking about.

First off, Imperials just got a way to make their use of Tractor Beams extremely useful.

They are getting more synergy and they are getting new tactical capabilities. So when you say the rebels are getting all the good cards, I have no idea what you are talking about.

I am right there with you, I think that the Rebels did get much better stuff. I like the interdictor, but think you are paying to much for the option to pay more by adding stuff to it. With out adding stuff to it, it is a poor combat ship, with adding stuff it is just so expensive you now have to ask yourself is it worth the cost? I play almost exclusively the empire, but am having a very hard time building a list for the Fleet Commanders Contest. Between my play style and the ships ability's I can not find any synergy, but looking at the Rebles was able to make one that looks good in about 20 minutes.
So what you are saying is that the Interdictor is not something you are used to building with and are unsure what to do with it?

Not really, I am saying looking at the list that people have posted most are spending between 1/4 and 1/3 (most closer to 1/3) of their points on this one ship. I do not think it is worth its points, if you are spending about 1/3 of your fleet points to me that is not a support ship, but the main unit of your fleet. It looks to me like you are having to pay extra points for the upgrade slots that it has (more than any other ship I have seen). With its cost trying to include it in a 400 point fleet also the Gozanti, the empire does not have the flexibility that the rebels have. So to me it is more the cost of it does not match what it looks like you get from it. It is an expensive ship that can not defend itself, has only two useful defense tokens, and two that in every game I have only ever seen used one time against a bomber. And with only one anti-fighter die it can not defend itself from fighters. So I am looking at a very expensive ship that will take the bulk of my fleet points but can not defend itself from ship or squadron, does not really add much to the firepower of the fleet, and as I said is expensive so I can not add to the fleet what is needed. Now it is not all bad, it does have lots of ways it can support the fleet, if only I could have a fleet with it. 

Commander: General Tagge

Assault Objective: Most Wanted
Defense Objective: Contested Outpost
Navigation Objective: Dangerous Territory

[ flagship ] Interdictor-class Suppression Refit (90 points)
-  General Tagge  ( 25  points)
Interdictor  ( 3  points)
-  Wulff Yularen  ( 7  points)
-  Projection Experts  ( 6  points)
-  Phylon Q7 Tractor Beams  ( 6  points)
-  Targeting Scrambler  ( 5  points)
-  Grav Shift Reroute  ( 2  points)
= 144 total ship cost

Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer (120 points)
Devastator  ( 10  points)
-  Skilled First Officer  ( 1  points)
-  Phylon Q7 Tractor Beams  ( 6  points)
-  Electronic Countermeasures  ( 7  points)
-  X17 Turbolasers  ( 6  points)
= 150 total ship cost

Victory II-Class Star Destroyer (85 points)
Dominator  ( 12  points)
-  Skilled First Officer  ( 1  points)
-  X17 Turbolasers  ( 6  points)
= 104 total ship cost

Card view link

Fleet created with Armada Warlords

Sweet Tagge fleet

That looks like a lot of fun to play. I feel like you're going to suffer against the turbocharged post-Wave 3 squadrons, but I could be wrong. Those ships are going to be murder on carriers if they make it through the hornets.

Sweet Tagge fleet

That looks like a lot of fun to play. I feel like you're going to suffer against the turbocharged post-Wave 3 squadrons, but I could be wrong. Those ships are going to be murder on carriers if they make it through the hornets.

Agree, playtesting will get me a couple of TA at least somehow.

Sweet Tagge fleet

Agree, playtesting will get me a couple of TA at least somehow.

While the idea is nice I don't believe it'll fly against a squadron-heavy fleet.

1. Not enough activations

2. Not enough Firepower

3. Not enough engineering

every fleet has a counter

They are both correct. It will fall apart to bombers at the moment.

I believe that there is scope for refinement to change that.

The fleet is nowhere near finished. To put it in context, I only have two fleet builds which I am happy taking to tournaments, because these are the only refined fleets.

Glad to see this thread FINALLY starting to actually talk about the Interdictor and not lists/experience or bloody Rebels :P

Personally, I feel like the Interdictor is going to play best when you build it for a specific purpose. Yes, it does have lots of options like Protection Experts, G8/Q7s, etc, but after list building a bunch a fully spec'd out Interdictor is just too expensive.

Take advantage of its flexible potential to build a particular strategy for it. For myself. I'm quite enjoying a minimalist approach:

Suppression Refit

G7X

Grav Shift Reroute

Protection Experts (optional)

Skilled First Officer (optional)

Minimal turn by turn interaction with a large game-start manipulation. With PEs added on it can support mid game too, otherwise it is a tanky mid firepower ship.

I'm liking the look of the Interdictor and think it will add a lot of interesting options to Imperial fleets.

Edited by Pilot no55389