Sign in to follow this  
Zazaa

Protectorate and EPT?

What u guys think that are we gonna see low pilot EPT in these like we did see in Jump Masters?

It sure would bring them some nice extra punch and then we would see low pilot skill playing more. Or it might be to powerful for these?

Because what I saw with Scky and Kihrax having "high" pilot skill and no EPT and we all know that those really don't get played then either.

Hit or miss? If we have low pilot EPT on Protectorate?

In theory, maybe. But that would distinctly defeat the point of the PS5 version.

I'm honestly a little baffled by it. If you want to take the TIE route, it's PS 1, +2 PS for the next, +1 PS & EPT for the third. +2 PS & EPT suggests they'll raise the price more rapidly, and man, that was rough enough on the Scyk.

I guess I'm just puzzled why they went for that many generics at all.

In theory, maybe. But that would distinctly defeat the point of the PS5 version.

I'm honestly a little baffled by it. If you want to take the TIE route, it's PS 1, +2 PS for the next, +1 PS & EPT for the third. +2 PS & EPT suggests they'll raise the price more rapidly, and man, that was rough enough on the Scyk.

Somehow I think that the PS three need to be viable option to play, because we have Jump master with PS3 and if that would suck, then thwy wont see it in play and with given upgrade slots there is not much to do for that ship unless the price is good or it has EPT.

They say that Fen Rau personally taught all the protectorite pilots and they were skillful, so that could backup the ESP slot option.

Part of the Jump master glory is that PS3 EPT! It is actually very rare expansion where all the pilots get played often and they all are competitive as well!

If the fearless ept packed in with the ship is as powerful as I think it is, either the ept slot will be consistently restrictive with the rest of the scum ships or the ept will be prohibitively expensive so it cant be used more effectively in swarm strategies than it could be with aces.

I'm assuming it's something to the tune of "if you are at range 1 in arc of your opponent with your opponent in arc you add 1 hit success to your attack roll" for 3 points. Imagine that on 4 generic fangs.  :blink:

Why not? They had room on the card board for another template. 

It is very doubtful that both the PS3 and PS5 Fangs would have an EPT. Just like the TIE/ln, you'll likely see no EPT on the PS3, while the PS5 most likely will have one. Unless they under-price the PS5 version (basically just make a 1pt difference for an added-in VI), having a PS3 with EPT would kill the PS5 version entirely.

Why not? They had room on the card board for another template. 

I'm worried what it does to their balance. Hopefully they used the Royal Guard Interceptor as the balance point, not the Alpha Squadron.

That there's 1pt and an EPT between those two ships suggests just how knife-edge the balance is...

It is very doubtful that both the PS3 and PS5 Fangs would have an EPT. Just like the TIE/ln, you'll likely see no EPT on the PS3, while the PS5 most likely will have one. Unless they under-price the PS5 version (basically just make a 1pt difference for an added-in VI), having a PS3 with EPT would kill the PS5 version entirely.

I concur, no EPT on PS3 while the PS5 has EPT.

PS1 = 17 points

PS3 = 18 points [ideal would be 18.5 but half points no work :( ]

PS5 = 20 points

I truly believe generic costs should be this. We could actually use this ship in tournaments. FFG would sell way more ships this way too.

I have never ever flown against the 21 point Saber Squad Interceptor. Therefore the PS5 Fang needs to be better, & it is at 20 points.

Edited by Dengar5

I concur, no EPT on PS3 while the PS5 has EPT.

PS1 = 17 points

PS3 = 18 points [ideal would be 18.5 but half points no work :( ]

PS5 = 20 points

I truly believe generic costs should be this. We could actually use this ship in tournaments. FFG would sell way more ships this way too.

I have never ever flown against the 21 point Saber Squad Interceptor. Therefore the PS5 Fang needs to be better, & it is at 20 points.

As much as I'd love it, there's no way I can see FFG pricing it like that.  I'm HOPING for 19 points for the PS1, and afraid of getting it at 20 (and thus not seeing use).  17 points would let you run 5 with autothrusters and the title.  

Ffg has done some pretty wicked moves lately witj Jump master especially.

Maybe they won't go so down with the points and compensate it with EPT.. And lile I said before apparently Pritectorate pilots had to be skilled to be able to fly with those pivot wings, so "story" could backup it.

I think they will go for similar points tham Kihrax, maybe even point over at the lower end so there cant be five of them. I would sure like four or five of them for sure!

Still five generic kihrax swarm is one of my favourite and done well in tournament with that too. Also Cobra has done well in tournament for me, just gotta know how to fly them properly. Just like every ship has it own way.

Compare it to the base Tie Interceptor at 18 points. It has one more hull, but who knows about the dial. Worse dial probably will peg it at 18. Similar dial equals 20-21 in my mind.

That comparison is why I think 19 points.  Fenn Rau is 1 pt more than soontir for the same PS.  Doing the same thing for the SP1 compared to the Alpha Squadron puts you at 19.  I'm afraid they'll make it 20 to prevent running 5 of them with the title.  

On the other hand, you almost never see the Alpha Squadron, so I'd love to see 17-18 for the PS1 to make it more likely to see actual use.

If by wicked you mean semi-unbalanced, yes. The Contracted Scouts should not have an EPT for their price. It makes the "triple U-boat" list very OP in the sense that you have three ships that can volley torpedoes without having to TL at a low PS, which is the balance for ordinance.

The Fang is nothing like the Jumpmaster though. Trying to compare a small-base ship value for EPT against a large-base ship's EPTs is not a fair comparison. The best comparison we have for the Fang right now is something along the lines of the regular TIE, the A-wing, and the TIE Interceptor. Those three are similar in points, stats, and "probable" squad usage.

Does anyone actually call it the "Protectorate"?  I've just gone with Fang Fighter.  

Because Protectorate Starfighter is what the ship is actually called.

If by wicked you mean semi-unbalanced, yes. The Contracted Scouts should not have an EPT for their price. It makes the "triple U-boat" list very OP in the sense that you have three ships that can volley torpedoes without having to TL at a low PS, which is the balance for ordinance.

The Fang is nothing like the Jumpmaster though. Trying to compare a small-base ship value for EPT against a large-base ship's EPTs is not a fair comparison. The best comparison we have for the Fang right now is something along the lines of the regular TIE, the A-wing, and the TIE Interceptor. Those three are similar in points, stats, and "probable" squad usage.

JMs would still be a problem even if the scout was correctly costed, just slightly less of one.  You can field a similarly nasty list with Manaroo, Tel and N'Dru, it's just not very good in a matchup against triple scouts.